Stick fired steam generator

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

Stick fired steam generator

Postby telemarktim » Sat 08 Apr, 2023 3:53 pm

This little MYOG project is about converting a tiny stick-fired backpacking blower stove and pot into a steam generator. The extra components required for the conversion weigh ~80g.
The cover for the pot and the steam tube (1400mm long*22mm ID) are made of silnylon and a tight-fitting stainless steel band that holds the cover on. This fabric was quite porous and passed water and steam under pressure. Consequently, I dopped it with thinned silicone rubber and then applied a thin screed coat of neat silicone rubber to both sides. This eventually made the fabric waterproof to a HH of about 1400+mm of water and steam does not leak. A little video of the HH testing and the silnylon tube and the Tiger snake skin that inspired its creation is below.

The steam generator makes a strong steady stream of steam that can be delivered at a safe distance from the stove via the long steam tube. It can produce an impressive 0.98kw of steam power which could keep a small sauna tent hot or heat the water for a nice hot bath. The little video of the steam generator in action shows it shooting out an invisible jet of steam into the cool night air.

For winter backpacking the plan is to use the steam for a winter sauna tent or bath water heating or snow melting. Summer use could be for seawater desalination at those magical remote beach camps that unfortunately do not have a freshwater supply. The device could distil ~1.3 litre/h, so a larger still would be required to be more practical.

For more information please see the Backpacking steam generator post on my website.
telemarktim
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Stick fired steam generator

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 12 Apr, 2023 10:03 am

I have zero need for such a thing, but I LOVE it anyhow! I'm the worst handy-man that I know of, so I'm very impressed at the ingenuity of this.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Re: Stick fired steam generator

Postby telemarktim » Wed 12 Apr, 2023 10:19 am

Son of a Beach wrote:I have zero need for such a thing, but I LOVE it anyhow! I'm the worst handy-man that I know of, so I'm very impressed at the ingenuity of this.

Hi, Thanks for the LOVE of the steam generator. I know it is a perverse MYOG invention for backpacking but it should make more sense when it is combined with a MYOG ultralight sauna tent for winter ski trips. Or maybe not. Tim
telemarktim
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Return to Make Your Own Gear