A small repair to a couple of billy cans

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

A small repair to a couple of billy cans

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 03 Sep, 2023 4:41 pm

I've been meaning to do this for a while but it's Spring and I'll be needing a cuppa tea out bush.
Also I abhor waste and out throwaway society.
I bought a pack of heavy duty tent guy tighteners and a small pack of stainless steel mushroom headed set screws. thirty seconds with the battery drill and another minute with the screwdriver and a spanner.
I can't decide between some wire or an old coat hanger for the bail tho. I have both but the coat hanger will be cheaper.
I've never understand why the factory hanger part is made so weak, do they expect people to just buy a replacement? Cost about $8- but new billies in aluminium would be more.
Even if I've got the small gas stove I often carry the billy to use over the fire, the LW one only weighs 215 grams modified and the wire bail maybe adding another 20.
These hold about 3 litres, just a bit smaller than an A-10 can and I can make another hobo stove for safer burning of twigs and the smaller unit fits inside an A-10 can.
I have to say tho that the big tins are getting harder to find around here, the pubs and hotels that I used to source mine from are no getting tomato puree and paste in 10 litre goon bags, yes they serve a lot of pizza and parmies.
Attachments
IMG_2691.JPG
IMG_2691.JPG (126.03 KiB) Viewed 1974 times
IMG_2694.JPG
IMG_2694.JPG (124.6 KiB) Viewed 1974 times
IMG_2695.JPG
IMG_2695.JPG (109.17 KiB) Viewed 1974 times
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: A small repair to a couple of billy cans

Postby stovemandan » Sat 23 Sep, 2023 12:39 am

Moondog55 wrote:I bought a pack of heavy duty tent guy tighteners and a small pack of stainless steel mushroom headed set screws.

Very nice idea. :D
stovemandan
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Backpacking Supplies/Zelph's stoveworks
Region: Other Country

Return to Make Your Own Gear