Ultralight MYOG wood stove - “hobo roll stove”

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

Ultralight MYOG wood stove - “hobo roll stove”

Postby craigprice » Sun 19 Nov, 2023 4:28 pm

People kept asking me about my wood stove that I assembled and used on trips so here it is
It was done a s a project during lockdown
The objective - what is the lightest but most effective wood stove I can make, about a 5” diameter, simply and cheaply
The benchmarks - I have an authentic picogrill 85 made in Germany by the inventor Bruno (not one of the unlicensed copies sold by Chinese sellers on Amazon aka ripoffs) that works excellently and weighs 93g including wire stakes for pot supports, the nearest equivalent competitor. Basically, it’s good and I support Bruno the owner of the garage gear business. So a pretty high benchmark!

Solution - 0.2mm Ti rolled foil Hobo design” stove with short stainless steel rods and stainless steel mesh for fire grate with 0.08mm Ti burn plate.
See attached pics,
Total weight all in is 58g. Not too shabby for a 5” hobo roll stove.
Notes -
Mesh and base plate roll inside the stove and rolled stove fits in my old Billy. Elastic hair ties hold it all together.
Rods - The rods are made from 1.95mm stainless steel bicycle wheel spokes that I sourced from a thrown out broken bicycle wheel from a dumpster behind a cycle shop. They weight the same as Ti rod and cost less than nothing since I saved them from landfill. I use 4 short pieces each 3.25g
Mesh - I sourced this from a strainer that was being thrown out (I admit I do look when walking the dog at peoples junk on the nature strip for resources). This weighs 7g
Ti - the stove Ti is 0.2mm gauge and weighs 38g finished for a 5” diameter and 120mm height. I bought this from China via eBay - doesn’t cost much but takes a while to deliver especially as Shanghai was hit with lockdown at the time. Not environmental but I wanted Titanium foil. Didnt cost me much (but I flinch at the actual environmental cost as being a retired engineer I know exactly what the costs of mining, processing, manufacturing, packaging and shipping are, and the price does not reflect this - (sorry ! Only done it once!)

Results - sorry don’t have a burn picture though I assure you it works “excellent dude” for boiling AND for grilling meat on a wire grill frame.
I often used it with a 5” stainless steel wire mesh square grill on top to cook steak or lamb chops and the boil water fora cuppa.
5” square Stainless steel wire grill weighs 24g and I drop two of the short spoke stakes so total weight with grill is 76g fully functional grilling and boiling wood stove.

**Objective met**
Attachments
IMG_5743.jpeg
IMG_5743.jpeg (175.52 KiB) Viewed 1775 times
IMG_5744.jpeg
IMG_5744.jpeg (183.8 KiB) Viewed 1775 times
IMG_5750.jpeg
IMG_5750.jpeg (164.02 KiB) Viewed 1775 times
IMG_5772.jpeg
IMG_5772.jpeg (189.26 KiB) Viewed 1775 times
IMG_5774.jpeg
IMG_5774.jpeg (178.26 KiB) Viewed 1775 times
IMG_5773.jpeg
IMG_5773.jpeg (173.87 KiB) Viewed 1775 times
craigprice
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Ultralight MYOG wood stove - “hobo roll stove”

Postby craigprice » Mon 20 Nov, 2023 8:17 am

P.s. the stove burns hot and burns the ground underneath as the mesh allows a lot of heat downwards (hence the base plate)
This stove is the one I that when I used it with a blower in the carpark, I got a the outside red hot and I actually melted the asphalt underneath (see posts by Telemarktim on the blower in this category - previous page I think for the blower design)
A light plate of thin Ti or soft drink/beer can aluminium fixes this.
craigprice
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ggorgeman » Mon 20 Nov, 2023 9:53 am

Thank you, Craig, for the post/s re MYOG (stoves) etc. Lots of effort in putting that content up, which is both motivational and looks easy to follow. Added benefit of your R&D time making it easier for us to cut to the chase. Copied/pasted into a doc and saved for future projects. Greatly appreciated!!
ggorgeman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby craigprice » Mon 20 Nov, 2023 5:32 pm

Thankyou
craigprice
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Make Your Own Gear