MYOG Tiny Esbit stove - full instructions (large file)

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

MYOG Tiny Esbit stove - full instructions (large file)

Postby craigprice » Sun 21 Jan, 2024 1:15 pm

A couple of people also asked me about the little esbit stove I've used for boiling water for an afternoon tea. I’ve previously written about it on the US backpacking site, but I thought I would offer the full DIY instructions if people are interested in doing their own, including some important steps during manufacture for the folding.

For background - my post on it on the backpackinglight website in 2015 (https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/102300/#comments)
and the bGet resurfacing in 2022 (https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/myog-brian-green-esbit-tray/). The links to the PDF template Jon Fong did for Brian Green for his bGet are no longer working, but I provide the dimensions below in pictures.

It requires a pot stand and a wind screen, and there are lots of very light options for each. I currently use my own DIY version of a combined screen/stand ala the toaks siphon stove stand, but I made mine from a roll of 0.2mm titanium sheet and it rolls inside the cup/mug I’m using.

This is an amalgamation and evolution of the concepts invented by others - Brian Green’s bGet, the TrailDesigns Gram Cracker, and Dan Yeruski’s (Zelph stoves) version of Brian Greens bGet. My improvements are – legs and wings are removable so packs smaller and is more robust, and made from easily sourceable and recyclable material, used soft drink cans. Soft drink can aluminum is just under 0.1mm thickness which is similar to the 0.1mm Ti sheet that Zelph uses in his versions. Both are able to cut with scissors and fold easily.

The tray is quite important for containing the melted esbit cube for performance. The wings also dramatically increase burn performance of the fuel. The legs hold it off the surface to avoid burning it. The legs and wings fit inside the tray for packing and carrying.

My tray dimensions (size and height) are sized to fit an esbit cube and the tray to fit the carrying box – either a plastic hook box (shown) or a matchbox - hence the 7.5mm height which fits in my hook box, you can make them taller for matchboxes. The legs and wings slide into concertina folds in the sides for operation, and are removable and fit inside the tray for packing into its carrying box (important).

I know Esbit burns at extremely high temperatures and commercial versions use titanium for longevity. I have found the soft drink can aluminium is good enough to last at least a season of use with care. Costs nothing and commonly available as I source a can from the recycling bin and is recyclable.

It typically takes me about 15 mins to mark out, cut and fold up a new stove. It is important to go carefully and accurately on folds – you cannot refold the metal, it fatigues, especially aluminium, and then breaks.

Instructions follow (in pictures)

Materials and equipment
IMG_6274.JPG
IMG_6274.JPG (57.82 KiB) Viewed 1429 times
;
IMG_6275.JPG
IMG_6275.JPG (76 KiB) Viewed 1429 times

Paper template (showing folds ala origami) and dimensions markout
IMG_6264.JPG
IMG_6264.JPG (76.52 KiB) Viewed 1429 times

Marked out material (you can easily get two stoves from one can)
IMG_6273.JPG
IMG_6273.JPG (71.25 KiB) Viewed 1429 times

Cut out material, with corners trimmed (to avoid catching on and damaging expensive gear)
IMG_6271.JPG
IMG_6271.JPG (73.27 KiB) Viewed 1429 times

Pre-creasing the corners and the base of the tray for later folding
IMG_6269.JPG
IMG_6269.JPG (86.35 KiB) Viewed 1429 times

Folding the base tray – note the corners still sticking out, to be folded against the ends in the next step
IMG_6268.JPG
IMG_6268.JPG (86.36 KiB) Viewed 1429 times

Corners folded in, and with sides yet to be concertina-folded (with two folds) to hold both a leg and wing
IMG_6267.JPG
IMG_6267.JPG (67.96 KiB) Viewed 1429 times

Finished tray with both sides concertina folded
IMG_6266.JPG
IMG_6266.JPG (72.23 KiB) Viewed 1429 times

The final product in its carrying (hook) box, with wings and legs inside the tray
IMG_6258.JPG
IMG_6258.JPG (66 KiB) Viewed 1429 times
craigprice
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Return to Make Your Own Gear