New : Tarptent Moment Li

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

New : Tarptent Moment Li

Postby Franco » Tue 29 Nov, 2022 7:28 am

Using the Tarptent lingo, Li means DCF (used to be Cuben Fiber) . Li for lithium (the least dense metal)
This one is 745 g with solid (fabric) inner ,inc pegs and bag.
momentdwli_end.jpg

momentdwli_interior_solid.jpg

could be the nicest looking DCF tent so far (but I am biased)
Have a look at the videl clip on the product page (with Henry Shires making use of his drone)
https://www.tarptent.com/product/moment-dw-li/
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: New : Tarptent Moment Li

Postby headwerkn » Tue 29 Nov, 2022 8:12 am

Looks awesome. We saw the silnylon version out on trail about a year ago, thought it looked very roomy and livable for what it is.
Though I think I prefer the longitudinal arch of the Rainbow Li ;-)
headwerkn
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby north-north-west » Tue 29 Nov, 2022 5:21 pm

I do not need another tent. I do not need another tent. I do not need another tent.
More importantly - I can not afford another tent ...
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Franco » Wed 30 Nov, 2022 11:37 am

"thought it looked very roomy and livable for what it is"
the Li is the same size, they both take the long/wide mats (193x64cm)
Better room for the tall laying down (up to 190cm) then sitting up (at the same height) but it does have a bit more headroom than some similar designs.
(I think that just about every tent company has used this type of single hoop design. The Moment came about as a smaller version of the Scarp, a tent that Henry Shires designed for himself)
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Wed 30 Nov, 2022 12:50 pm

As a sort of related sidetrack, Franco ... I know you don't have any official connection to Tarptent any more, but the next time you have a chat with Henry would it be possible to give him a little nudge about doing a DCF version of the Scarp I? With removable coorner struts, of course.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Franco » Wed 30 Nov, 2022 9:35 pm

The Shires are still friends of mine so no problem there.
Years ago there were a lot of problems getting the curves needed in the Scarp from DCF (because it does not stretch the way silnylon does) but as you can see with the Moment DW Li some very clever use of the DCF charateristics has made those possible.
HS has a very high end CAD 3D programme that can work out how different fabrics will behave under different tensions/ cuts/shapes and so on so maybe a DCF "plug in" has happened.
(HS graduated in physiscs from the Stanford University , became a tent designer by accident (his PCT tru-hike))
There is another fabric waiting for something to happen , apart from silpoly, so not sure right now what will the future of the Scarp will be but I'll ask...
BTW.... The Scarp came about because Henry needed a 4 season tent for himself. Took a few years to design that and we had a lot of back and forth discussions about details. Eventualy Henry came up with the PitchLoc corner (his name for it...) that gave the Scarp the structual integrity it has.Not to put a fine point but the idea was to get something that worked better than the single strut the Hilleberg Akto uses. ( you can put a LOT mor tension on the PitchLoc than on the Akto type and pull more than one panel in tension at the same time. (I used to borrow tents from the shops in Little Bourke St/Melbourne at the time to test things out and suggest improvements over existing designs ...) The original temp name for the Scarp was Iceland (that was the reason it was made for...) before eventualy HS came up with a name for it but at the start it was not meant to be a retail item because it isn't a "Tarptent"...
The downside of those struts is of course that they take up room when packed.
I posted the above to point out that there is a bit more to Tarptent than some seem to think.
To add... removable struts. That is an option with some TT shelters but it may not be a viable thing to do for the factory in China . They want to make hundreds of tents in a single one/two day run so some fiddly things that the Seattle factory could accomodate can't be replicated in China. The same fatory makes a lot of the well known retail brands. They also have a less high tec factory in Vietnam with lower labour rates (that is a hint ...).
Last edited by Franco on Wed 30 Nov, 2022 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Neo » Wed 30 Nov, 2022 9:54 pm

Almost bought a Moment Li a few days ago but I was broke. Now I'm cashed up but appreciating my Big Sky rev2 tonight...

Think I'm down to only four BW tents and a tarp bivy combo, but could go another option, don't have a dcf shelter at the Moment ;)
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Tortoise » Wed 30 Nov, 2022 10:19 pm

Franco wrote: Eventualy Henry came up with the PitchLoc corner (his name for it...) that gave the Scarp the structual integrity it has.Not to put a fine point but the idea was to get something that worked better than the single strut the Hilleberg Akto uses. ( you can put a LOT mor tension on the PitchLoc than on the Akto type and pull more than one panel in tension at the same time.

Interesting background, thanks Franco.
Having owned both a Scarp and an Akto, I agree wholeheartedly. The Scarp is one of the easiest tents to pitch well. In really foul weather, I've felt very secure with the beefier materials of the Akto. But as the Scarp pitches more tautly, it's probably nearly as good. Less stress on the said materials, because there's no flapping. My Scarp did endure 36 hours of intense pummeling at High Moor once. It held up just fine, except for a little tear in one of the top corners that superglue took care of.

If Henry does a Scarp 1 in DCF, I'll be selling my Notch Li in a heartbeat. Might have to sell it anyway, as I still haven't mastered it, nor see how it's possible to get any use out of the vestibules in wet windy conditions. But I digress. (Let me know if you're coming to Tassie, Franco. I'd really like to see how it's done in person!) I would have bought another Scarp 1 when the floor died if it hadn't been enlarged (unnecessarily for me), adding to the weight.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Franco » Wed 30 Nov, 2022 11:40 pm

"beefier material"
Both the Akto and the Scarp are made with South Korean 30d silnylon. The carbon fiber struts of the Scarp I am pretty sure that are stronger than the Hilleberg version.
Get someone to do this with the Akto...
1239846445_12067.jpg
1239846445_12067.jpg (56.27 KiB) Viewed 4898 times

(about 75 kg at the time)
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Ultralight backpacking