Cumulus bag

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Cumulus bag

Postby WaltzingMatilda » Tue 10 Jan, 2023 10:27 am

Hi all,
I'm planning to start doing some overnight bushwalks with a group this year. They frequent coastal Sydney camping spots and Sydney's national parks, Shoalhaven area and the Blue Mountains, amongst other places.

I like ultralight in general. My current thinking is to get a Cumulus X-LITE 400 (-1ºC comfort ; 575g plus custom full zip) for cold weather trips, and a Cumulus MAGIC 100 ZIP (13ºC comfort;240g) for summer trips.

https://cumulus.equipment/intl_en/sleeping-bags/down.html

Additional details: I'm male, about 180cm height, and I own a Mont Moondance 1 tent and a S2S UL Insulated Mat (R3.1) and some merino base layer garments. I sleep hot (i think).

Do you reckon I'm on the right track regarding my sleeping bag choices and comfort temps? I'd be grateful to the forum for any advice or suggestions.

Cheers and best wishes,
WM.
WaltzingMatilda
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Cumulus bag

Postby slparker » Tue 10 Jan, 2023 11:47 am

Would you consider a bag for cold weather and a quilt for summer? A quilt is even lighter and in warm weather i invariably used to lay my bag over me - until i bought a quilt....
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby JohnnoMcJohnno » Tue 10 Jan, 2023 12:02 pm

I can't speak to the particular models you have nominated, but I do own a couple of Cumulus bags. I like the quality, I like the price, I like the light weights and being part-Polish I like the country of origin. I am a 185 cm tall male and one of the reasons I chose Cumulus was because their standard bags are recommended to suit heights of 185 cm, whereas quite a few other companies state 180 cm as the maximum recommended height. May not matter to you but for me it meant I could confidently buy the standard size rather than having to buy a larger bag of a different make.

It's difficult to comment emphatically on the temperature ratings because we're all very different, but I think you're on the right track. For what it's worth I used to sleep hot when young but am now in my 60's and I find the Cumulus comfort ratings right on the limit for me. I have used my Panyam 450 (also -1 deg C comfort) in the Blue Mountains in Winter when it got down to -5. I was sharing a tent with two others though and slept well enough. One option that may be worth considering is purchasing a light quilt for summer instead of the Magic 100 ZIP. You could use that on its own in summer but potentially add it as a blanket to the X-Lite if you were expecting extra cold conditions in winter. Good luck with your choices.
JohnnoMcJohnno
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 10 Jan, 2023 12:33 pm

I think Pierre Feutry has a Cumulus bag for sale at the moment.
I saw it on GearFreak last week, maybe contact him ?
I'd be layering a LW synthetic over it in white season for the temperature boos and condensation management but that's an easy and decent way to get an extra 10 degrees
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby johnrs » Tue 10 Jan, 2023 2:51 pm

Cumulus is good gear but have a look at another Polish company here https://malachowski.pl/pl/info/malachowski-spiwory
johnrs
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby WaltzingMatilda » Thu 12 Jan, 2023 8:54 pm

Thanks, everyone! I really appreciate your input. I like the idea of a summer quilt. I've found a few online, however they are a bit heavier than the Cumulus Magic 100 full zip bag (240g ; 13ºC comfort). I'll keep looking and see what I can find...!

Have an excellent day :)
Cheers and thanks,
WM.
WaltzingMatilda
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Ultralight backpacking