Summer sleep clothing

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Summer sleep clothing

Postby gbagua » Tue 21 Mar, 2023 7:25 pm

I'd like to hear your different combos (top, bottom, socks/no socks),

My sleeping bag is already 500g so it would be silly to buy something that is going to add another 200/300g in which case is better buying a warmer bag that will cover that weight plus less packing volume.

Please list the weight;

1. Top long sleeve baselayer (non-thermal)
2. Tights/yoga pants (non-thermal)
3. Socks/no socks

Cheers.
gbagua
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Re: Summer sleep clothing

Postby crollsurf » Tue 21 Mar, 2023 9:22 pm

UPDATE: What I said below isn't quite true. I do carry a pair of light track suit/wind pants (Fila 260g from Target) that I wear around camp but rarely if ever walk in. So I wear them to bed with the shirt I hike in.

TL:DR
I just sleep in the clothes I'm wearing (also a 10C quilt for summer), not because I wont to, but sleeping mats are typically not that nice to sleep on, without some layer between you and the mat. Taking off you're undies can't hurt either. Socks I like to take off, but generally have close at hand, when it gets cooler in the morning to stay warm.
I use a Buff as a beanie if needed, but normally use it as a covering over my pillow.

So no weights needed, its just the gear I'm already wearing.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby rider » Mon 27 Mar, 2023 9:17 pm

I sweat ( or should I say perspire) too much to continue to wear my hiking clothes - not exactly UL, but I fear the leaving stench on me would weigh as much as the extra clothes! So I wash at the end of the day and put on clean dry clothes, and hang my hiking clothes.

The change into long limb clothes also covers the cooler evening weather and mosquitoes.
So from pants - thermal 156g, to 234 g pants - usually they are removed before bed
top - T shirt or long sleeve
and clean shorts with liner ( inbuilt jocks, I mean!)
rider
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby rcaffin » Sat 20 May, 2023 6:00 pm

You haven't specified the night-time temperatures.
I remember one time on a Colo sandbank when I just lay down on my mat in my walking clothes and went to sleep - still sweating.
The reason I was still wearing my walking clothes was - - - mosquitoes.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby slparker » Tue 23 May, 2023 10:06 am

I use a silk liner in summer - protects my quilt from my sweaty, dirty body and prevents that hideous sticky feeling from being on a sleeping mat - no need for seperate sleeping baselayers. In cooler weather I take dry baselayer trousers or tights and sleep in my Nitro alpha hoody
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Ultralight backpacking