Quilts: tuck, strap or ?

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Quilts: tuck, strap or ?

Postby icefest » Mon 29 Jul, 2013 7:30 am

I just got a new quilt. I'm not sure how it'll handle cold weather but testing it over the past few night has found me wanting to do more than just tucking it in.
I might put some loose clips on it and use it katabatic style (freely sliding on loops over mat).

What do you guys usually do?
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Quilts: tuck, strap or ?

Postby andrewa » Mon 29 Jul, 2013 7:55 am

I just tuck mine. Allows more freedom to roll over , but I'm a restless sleeper.

Andrew
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby forest » Mon 29 Jul, 2013 8:03 am

I just tuck mine but I do have 2 sets of straps, one about waist level and one about nipple height. I don't run the straps under the mattress as I would think it might be a bit gappy then. Mine run between me and the mattress.
If it's cold I'll often put the middle strap on then tuck the top half.
A lot will depend on the width of your quilt. I always found with my 50" quilts (width at head end) I would have those strapped down on cold nights but there was a lot less width to play with.
Now I have 56" quilts and find myself less likely to get gaps etc due to the extra width. I also find less gaps on a exped mat compared to a neoair due to the difference in outer baffles.
I am a GEAR JUNKIE and GRAM COUNTER !!

There, It's out. I said it, Ahh I feel better now :lol:
forest
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Onestepmore » Mon 29 Jul, 2013 8:34 am

I've seen these 'Quit Wings' that will extend the neck width of a standard 48" or 50" quilt (depending on maker) by 7 " - taking it to about the width of Forest's quilt.
They allow extra 'tuckage'
Ive not used them personally though
Mine is enough to tuck in (but then I dont have a guy's shoulders)
Thye need to be atached with strips of Omnitape (which is like universal Velcro)

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/quilt-wings/
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby andrewbish » Mon 29 Jul, 2013 8:59 am

I'm just finishing my second quilt. Will have draw cords at each end, Velcro and snaps for the foot box and a waist cord to keep it tucked in (under me, not the mat) The waist cord will use pack-style clips with tensionable straps.
Twitter: @andrewbishxplor Blog: Trails & tracks
andrewbish

Postby Orion » Mon 29 Jul, 2013 10:27 am

I was thinking I was going to want straps but instead I just sewed a snap up at the top of mine. When the snap is closed and the top of the quilt is around my neck, the rest of the quilt just wants to follow by tucking in around my sides. I sure didn't plan it to work that way but it's fabulous.

My girlfriend likes my quilt so much that she twisted my arm into making one for her. So now I've got some more sewing to do.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Lindsay » Mon 29 Jul, 2013 3:38 pm

I tuck mine. As a restless sleeper this works best for me.
Lindsay

Postby Stibb » Mon 29 Jul, 2013 5:53 pm

I have a Katabatic, tried the straps but never used them out. As many others, I'm a restless sleeper and I just tuck in. If it's colder, close the snap up on top and I'm super comfy.
Stibb

Region: Tasmania

Postby andrewa » Mon 29 Jul, 2013 8:54 pm

The top end press stud is a good idea to stop it drifting off....thanks.....and so easy to add.

Andrew B, I know that a short length of Velcro is not that heavy, but wondering whether you actually need it on the foot of your quilt. My 3 press-studs hold it nicely together with the drawer cord foot. I was considering either a zip or Velcro when I made it, but decided that neither was really necessary. I'm glad you've got the quilt all made -it is a fun and easy project, and very satisfying.

Andrew A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Return to Ultralight backpacking