Small hole digger for Number 2's. Question.

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Re: Small hole digger for Number 2's. Question.

Postby Orion » Wed 09 Dec, 2015 2:50 am

Nuts wrote:That snow peg these guys are using is pretty much the best option for digging 15cm holes in varied ground, ya need to get nice and deep! longer and a better shape than purpose built trowels iv'e seen, and more comfortable to use than other UL offerings by the looks. They lever well enough with care though if I was to design a titanium trowel of the right length and shape it would probably look just like that (and dare I say, of the UL mindset, have other uses as a bonus).

I suspect they aren't really strong enough. I looked through my collection of snow pegs and a number of them are bent in the middle. The edges also seem uncomfortable for hard digging, especially the top flange. My pegs are the same style as the one pictured earlier in this thread; pretty standard design, made of Al. I weighed one. It was about 30g.

Still better than a boot heel though, even if it ends up getting bent.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby nq111 » Wed 09 Dec, 2015 7:36 pm

Orion wrote:I suspect they aren't really strong enough.

That was my experience. Plus the metal is quite blunt and doesn't cut well into the dirt.

On other news the new Deuce of Spades got a trial the other day and went well. Not as comfortable and easy to use as a Bunnings nylex trowel, but did a great job of cutting through the roots (digging with the handle end as suggested) and then the wide end was great for excavating. A little flex but no bending or concerns over strength. Great option for the weight I feel.
nq111
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby Nuts » Wed 09 Dec, 2015 8:13 pm

nq111 wrote:
Orion wrote:I suspect they aren't really strong enough.

That was my experience. Plus the metal is quite blunt and doesn't cut well into the dirt.

Ayee!! They undergo a wonderful transformation with a simple lop and shine :) 20cm is nice.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Orion » Thu 10 Dec, 2015 2:44 am

Nuts wrote:...a simple lop and shine :)

What? My Aussie slang dictionary doesn't include that one.

The Ti bling looks pretty good but I think I'll give the Al snow peg a "go" on my next trip.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Nuts » Thu 10 Dec, 2015 8:41 am

Not trying to bag out the alternatives, we must all be satisfied with our implements. Just, yes, cut a bit shorter the snow pegs get harder to bend. They can also then be shaped and sharpened (i'd not go too far, with an knife edge eg.) A spare wide tent peg is handy for a boggy corner or upwind anchor. You can nest the other pegs in it's hollow using a rubber band. Not a cheap alternative of course if a grinder needs purchase :)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Orion » Thu 10 Dec, 2015 11:20 am

Thanks for the explanation. "Lop and shine" -- a metal working metaphor?

I think I'll leave the peg as is and choke up on it as necessary. Still way better than a sharp rock.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby keithy » Sun 13 Dec, 2015 6:51 pm

For the cheap option, I have the Coghlan's orange plastic trowel. It weighs around 55 grams however is bulky and the pointy end can poke through your pack if not protected.

I like the suggestion of using a snow/sand stake like the way Franco's suggested rather than as a shovel. I've seen people using the MSR Blizzard Stake for digging poop holes. Weighs substantially less than a trowel, and I guess you could wrap some spare guy line or rope around the top for better grip. Simon's pic of that titanium snow stake looks like it could be handy option.
keithy

Postby corvus » Sun 13 Dec, 2015 8:11 pm

keithy wrote:For the cheap option, I have the Coghlan's orange plastic trowel. It weighs around 55 grams however is bulky and the pointy end can poke through your pack if not protected.

I like the suggestion of using a snow/sand stake like the way Franco's suggested rather than as a shovel. I've seen people using the MSR Blizzard Stake for digging poop holes. Weighs substantially less than a trowel, and I guess you could wrap some spare guy line or rope around the top for better grip. Simon's pic of that titanium snow stake looks like it could be handy option.

The cheap light plastic option I have discovered has a tendency to break when using in rooty earth :( Use a STS IPOOD now ,heavy but reliable and space in the handle for a Cleanspray 7ml hand sanitizer or even a few sheets of TP.
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby keithy » Sun 07 Feb, 2016 8:22 pm

Bumping this up as I am wondering if anyone has used a stainless steel shoe horn as a cat hole digger.

I have one and it weighs just under 50g, and thought it might make a good alternative to my bulky cheap trowel.

keithy

Postby corvus » Sun 07 Feb, 2016 9:19 pm

Good suggestion however it may be a bit rough on your hand in anything other than sandy /soft soils resulting in the temptation to dig an inadequate hole which would defeat the purpose.
I really believe that if you regularly "*&%$#! in the woods" a proper tool for the job is the way to go :)
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby keithy » Mon 08 Feb, 2016 1:36 pm

corvus wrote:Good suggestion however it may be a bit rough on your hand in anything other than sandy /soft soils resulting in the temptation to dig an inadequate hole which would defeat the purpose.
I really believe that if you regularly "*&%$#! in the woods" a proper tool for the job is the way to go :)

I have a few poo trowels including the orange coglan's trowel and a fiskars trowel, but my shoe horn is similar in shape to various lightweight trowels I've seen, and might even double up as a sand stake. And would be smaller, less bulk and lighter than my current trowels, and as I already have it, is cheap.

For comfort, I always carry cordage in my pack, and here's a simple wrap of cordage to make it easier to hold. I would try Franco's suggestion of using it like the sand stake - digging towards self rather than like a shovel.

Here's what it looks like with the cordage "handle". Not uncomfortable to hold at all. I just don't have a backyard to dig up and test it out.

Shoehorn Trowel.jpg

I found a old BPL thread where some people mentioned it as well, but they had a pic of the smaller shoehorn (about half the size of mine), which while lighter I think might be more difficult to use.
keithy

Postby simonm » Mon 08 Feb, 2016 1:40 pm

Looks pretty good Keithy.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania

Postby keithy » Sat 13 Feb, 2016 6:56 pm

Quick update on my repurposed shoehorn trowel.

Tested it out on some clayish soil and it works ok. I used Franco's digging towards you method. Will try it out on harder ground and see how it goes.

This is what it looks like against the trusty Coglans - smaller and lighter.

Keithys Shoehorn Trowel.JPG

I've double wrapped the cord at the top where the web of my hand fits, but it's just to wrap the 3-4m of cord I usually have in my pack.
keithy

Postby GPSGuided » Sun 14 Feb, 2016 7:11 am

Cool!
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby BarryK » Tue 23 Feb, 2016 5:02 pm

DaveNoble wrote:A few years ago I bought one of these -

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/47684/

I bought the small one (about 12g - so very light). Not that cheap now (I bought mine when the exchange rate was a lot better). In a lot of places where the ground is soft - then you can make do with a stick or a heel, but in tough ground - then the trowel works very well.

Dave

Thanks for that info. This is the website of the guy who sells that 12gm trowel:

http://www.qiwiz.net/trowels.html

Actually, he says it is "less than 0.4oz", which would be about 11 grams. That's the Original version, the smallest, 6 inches long.

I have ordered the small one, cost US$29 plus US$9.80 international postage. Paid with PayPal.
BarryK
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Tintin » Tue 01 Mar, 2016 12:19 am

Has anyone tried making a wide faced attachment for a tent stake to use as a toilet trowel?

I'm toying with the idea.
Tintin
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby jobell » Sun 06 Mar, 2016 12:05 pm

stry wrote:Depending where you are, no trowel needed.

A pretty sanitary outcome (no pun intended) can often be achieved by applying a boot heel to a natural cavity or to the space under an overturned rock or stump. Maybe also use a stick, or as mentioned, some types of tent peg, to modify whatever is available.

I'm with stry on this one. After breaking my trusty Coglan's orange colored trowel mid AAWT late last year I was forced to use sticks or if the ground was harder, rocks to dig with. I found this method to be just as effective IMHO as the trowel and as a result I won't be carrying a trowel or other digging implement in the future. I'll make do with what nature provides.
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R.Tolkien
jobell
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 08 Mar, 2016 7:10 am

15cm deep?
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stry » Tue 08 Mar, 2016 1:01 pm

GPSGuided wrote:15cm deep?

Put a mark on a tent peg and use it for a depth gauge - prior to using the hole :)

Three pages on the technicalities of what should be one of life's simple pleasures :lol:
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Mark F » Tue 08 Mar, 2016 3:39 pm

There are many issues with the disposal no 2s. How you best dispose of it depends on issues such as level of usage of the area, soil type and depth, soil moisture, temperature etc. It will biologically decompose much faster if it remains in the soil O horizon (humus) or soil A horizon (contains organic matter). The depth of these layers varies greatly so a standard 15cm hole will produce very different outcomes depending on location. If you deposit it in the far less biologically active B or C soil horizons then it will degrade far more slowly. In very cold conditions in low use areas it has been advocated (can't remember the book but it may have been Mountaineering - freedom of the hills) that it should be smeared over the ground to achieve the minimum composting time.

In a perfect world bagging and carry out is the optimum answer. My slacker and preferred method is to find a remote location, turn over a rock or branch, deposit and replace as suggested by stry. This ensures it is in the A layer and it should decompose quite quickly. It also makes it difficult for animals to dig up or for flies to feed on it. I bag and carry out the tp or burn it.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 08 Mar, 2016 3:49 pm

Some mixing would help...
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Orion » Tue 08 Mar, 2016 5:29 pm

I took a snow peg on my last visit to Tasmania. It worked okay but the soil where I used it wasn't too challenging. I recall struggling to to dig with a rock in hard, rooty soil on previous trip. A snow peg there would have been better than a rock but I doubt I would have made it down 15cm with anything other than a serious digging implement, or a lot of time.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 08 Mar, 2016 6:18 pm

I agree. 15cm (with width) is not a trivial depth in anything less than loose soil.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Aushiker » Tue 11 Oct, 2016 6:15 pm

BarryK wrote:Thanks for that info. This is the website of the guy who sells that 12gm trowel:

http://www.qiwiz.net/trowels.html

Actually, he says it is "less than 0.4oz", which would be about 11 grams. That's the Original version, the smallest, 6 inches long.

I have ordered the small one, cost US$29 plus US$9.80 international postage. Paid with PayPal.

Any chance of an update? I see that Montbell have the Handy Scoop which has a list price of US$13.95 or US$25.98 at Amazon {go figure}. It weighs in at 40 grams and is 160mm long.

Anyone have new ideas or suggestions other than what has been suggested here previously?
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Franco » Tue 11 Oct, 2016 6:45 pm

"The edges also seem uncomfortable for hard digging, especially the top flange."
yes because most think of using it a shovel when it is in fact very easy to use if you turn it around and dig with it as with a pick.
See my photo in the first page.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Rai » Thu 09 Sep, 2021 7:29 pm

Not an ultralight question, but does anyone have experience of, or opinion about, these wag bags from mont? https://www.mont.com.au/products/wag-bag-go-anywhere-toilet-kit
Rai
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Kickinghorse » Sat 11 Sep, 2021 5:01 pm

Not sure if I’m repeating stuff already posted but this is what I use. Various configurations out there but found this to be excellent and good to support a Tassie cottage industry.
Phil
https://www.tiergear.com.au/shop/bathroom/deuce-scoop
Kickinghorse
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby crollsurf » Sun 12 Sep, 2021 4:21 pm

If you're carrying a trekking pole, use that or find a stick. Otherwise the Coglans works fine.

The UL diggers are useless in hard ground because of the sharp edged handles. You can wrap them with emergency cord but at that point, you're just finding an excuse to carry one.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Previous

Return to Ultralight backpacking