Overnight Ultralight Trip setup Challenge

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Re: Overnight Ultralight Trip setup Challenge

Postby Ms_Mudd » Thu 25 Mar, 2021 12:31 pm

I dod end up doing this Wed,/Thurs last week, but threw it together quickly and walked in the dark.
I ended up with 6.29kg total incl all my consumables (1.5lt water) so probably didn't do too badly. I left my powerbank behind which helped as was only doing a single night.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby wildwanderer » Fri 26 Mar, 2021 8:50 am

Nice work Ms Mudd!

Welcome to the UL fraternity!

How did you find walking with less stuff? Anything you would liked to have had with you but didnt?
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ChrisJHC » Fri 26 Mar, 2021 11:32 am

To cut weight even further, dump the tent pegs and use sticks. You’ll need to be more selective in choosing your site but that’s of little importance when going ultra-light, isn’t it?
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby skibug » Fri 26 Mar, 2021 1:04 pm

wildwanderer wrote:
"Was a bit of discussion a month or so ago on this and based on the advice given Ive added an extra bandage.

Apparently best practice is a small compression bandage around the bite site for venom stasis and then a longer one encompassing the entire limb from top to bottom.

So thats why I have a large compression bandage and then I cut up a second one to make the smaller length."

Bring the right size small bandage, or cut the long one before leaving home - you do not want to be fumbling around for the scissors or a knife, estimating the length you need etc, whilst venom is setting your arm or leg on fire.

Skibug.
skibug
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Fri 26 Mar, 2021 6:07 pm

wildwanderer wrote:Nice work Ms Mudd!

Welcome to the UL fraternity!

How did you find walking with less stuff? Anything you would liked to have had with you but didnt?

Thanks! It was useful to have this challenge in the back of my mind when packing as it forced me to think more carefully about what was in my pack. I wish I had of itemised my weights, but didn't, but still satisfied with the overall final product weight with absolutely everything in it.

I took out my UL down jacket from my dry sleeping gear. Although heavy rain predicted, minimum temps were going to be high teens, I always leave it in 'just in case'. I carried my active insulation layer, macpac nitro and knew I could use that in a pinch. I didn't use even that at all though. For a small weight penalty of 90g, was still okay with having taken it. I did take my OR Helium rain jacket, which I don't always do in Summer as would just take my brolly. I did wear it on the second day when the weather was very miserable, it made a torrential rain packet up a bearable thing, but still wondering whether it was really necessary.

Hmm what else? I did pack a small paperback, but really enjoyed laying in the tent while the weather raged, reading. I could have put the book on my phone via the kindle app, but I already owned and was reading the book. Definitely some weight I could have dumped and then just used my phone though.

Edited to add: It was a super comfortable trip, that felt enjoyable and not an exercise in deprivation at all. I had luxuries, such as the book, that added to my experience. I did not miss the things I took out of my pack at all.
The only thing I did miss was a plastic grocery bag, I normally pack one and use it for various things, but really could have used it for my wet tent . What I did instead was stuff it in the front bungee cord of the Durston 40 pack, which was okay, it drained, but if I were to be camping a second night, I would have wanted to isolate the wet fly from the inner, and/or used the grocery bag upside down, so that the tent could drain in my front pocket while not getting further wet out with rain from above.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildwanderer » Sun 28 Mar, 2021 6:50 am

Thanks Chrisjhc. I usually use ti pegs but I know bushcrafter types enjoy making their own pegs. I'm just not patient enough after a days walking.

Agree Skibug. I cut up the second bandage to make a smaller one.

Nice Ms Mudd!
Interesting that you didn't even miss the gear you left at home.

I haven't done a walk with my above UL setup in rain so it's good to read that it still turned out well for you.

I'm finding bungee cords quite useful for stashing things as well, I usually wrap the gear in something to keep it together, I've been using a old sleeping bag stuff sack but I'm sure shop plastic bags works just as well in fact probably better as some are quite tough and waterproof.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Previous

Return to Ultralight backpacking