Wee UL (SUL?)stove set up?

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Wee UL (SUL?)stove set up?

Postby Lamont » Fri 12 Apr, 2019 3:42 pm

Looking for a UL (SUL?) set up for up to three days that packs quite flat in something like an Evernew 570 mls pot (12 X 5 cms)-95gms with lid.
I see the beauty (hey, in the eye of this fool) of this set up to be more packable, big flat bottom quick heat.
Wee alky stove and cone/WS inside.

So, I am after three heats of about 200-300mls of water per day and looking to explore the potential to have a smaller and lighter set up.
The reasoning- just back from a couple of days and would have liked a coffee. Especially in the AM.
All food at the moment is fine cold (savoury shapes and spiced tuna sachets mmmm) until it hits about zero overnight-happy to eat cold, but, a cuppa of something (tea,soup, coffee) is what I want to be able to make beginning (3 degrees this morning) and maybe smoko and maybe end of the day.
So ;
-gas canister one third full will easily last me the three days=125grams. Uses app-3 grams of gas per 300mls water heated.
-Amicus =75 grams (from memory)
-Toaks cup/pot 550mls =115 gms-100 cm X 85 cm
Total 325 grams. Less packable than the flat Evernew pot cup above. Canister stored in cup/pot Amicus stored in food bag.
Works well no doubt and highly useable. What I have been using before -going no cook.
But.....any other options using a flat pot cup and lid like the Evernew/or equivalent (size and weight) above I am interested.
I am not looking for the esbit type heat, but alky and whether everything would fit inside for pretty close to at least three days, i.e. will the alky bottle with the required amount fit in the pot, the TOTAL weight with water heat amounts listed above.
Is it possible? I see some people giving some ideas on this but I don't think for the three days, but I may have missed them.
Hoping someone can give me some real numbers (alky amounts size of container) and real world use details or reasoned conjecture based on use.
Ta G
Last edited by Lamont on Fri 12 Apr, 2019 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Re: Wee UL (SUL?)stove set up?

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 12 Apr, 2019 4:13 pm

So not canister and a little FMS300?
I take it that you have tried a cat or Supercat stove and metho?
I do wish you success but I can't assist as my smallest cup/pot is the tall 700ml Tomshoo with the cat stove and 50ml of metho is over 500 grams with my brew kit and a breakfast biscuit inside it, including the small windshield and thin ply base. 50ml is just enough to give me 2 cups of hot water for coffee
But it is a one-shot brew kit just in case I miss the bus and have to sleep by the side if the road in winter and I wasn't making a real effort to get the weight down
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby crollsurf » Fri 12 Apr, 2019 10:27 pm

I go metho when it comes to a 2/3day hike.
Inside a 450ml pot I have a metho stove and rack, a foldable spork and a wind shield. The only thing I can't fit in is fuel ATM but I'm working on that.

Titanium pot and lid https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TOMSHOO-Ultralight-450ml-Outdoor-Titanium-Cup-Camping-Picnic-Water-Cup-Mug-H9I9-/112979186485?hash=item1a4e159335
Spork https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Outdoor-Ultralight-Foldable-Spoon-Fork-Picnic-BBQ-Folding-Titanium-Tableware-/273377519770?hash=item3fa691e89a
Stove and rack https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TOMSHOO-Outdoor-Mini-Titanium-Alcohol-Stove-Rack-Combo-Set-Ultralight-AU-K1F6/142557315120?hash=item2131140030:g:G~QAAOSwE-lZ9pYJ
Wind shield cut to fit inside pot https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ultralight-Titanium-Outdoor-Camping-Stove-Wind-Shield-Screen-Windproof-Plate-New/400855800137?hash=item5d54de1949:m:mfKaJdpoHxYBNj9c_EJB_5g&frcectupt=true

Not sure of the weight but it's SUL for sure.

When walking with the luxury of a hip belt, I go for the GSI Pinacle Soloist, a small gas cannister and the Soto Amicus.
Last edited by crollsurf on Fri 12 Apr, 2019 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Lamont » Fri 12 Apr, 2019 10:34 pm

Sounds okay but have to get the fuel in there as well. Don't need the spork in there. How much metho per boil and the weight total do you reckon?
ps Canister sorted.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby crollsurf » Fri 12 Apr, 2019 10:44 pm

I forget, its marked out on my fuel bottle but I'm thinking less than 30mls.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ofuros » Sat 13 Apr, 2019 5:54 am

30ml to boil 500ml....if its blowing a gale you'll need more fuel or more protected spot. Also depends on your burner.

DIY burner...5g. Those thin 250ml sugar laden energy drink cans are super light & small. Easy to make.

3nights...90ml of metho. My bottle holds just over a 100ml. I mainly boil at the end of the day though.

Belmont 500ml pot, lid, windscreen, empty fuel bottle, burner, fuel cup, spoon etc...159g. Add 90ml of fuel...249g.
Need to look in the local supermaket for a shorter squat fuel bottle, if I want it to fit inside.
You could use aluminium foil instead of a heavier titanium lid.

DSCF5710 (Medium).JPG

DSCF5714 (Medium).JPG
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Lamont » Sat 13 Apr, 2019 10:13 am

ofuros wrote:30ml to boil 500ml....if its blowing a gale you'll need more fuel or more protected spot. Also depends on your burner.

DIY burner...5g. Those thin 250ml sugar laden energy drink cans are super light & small. Easy to make.

3nights...90ml of metho. My bottle holds just over a 100ml. I mainly boil at the end of the day though.

Belmont 500ml pot, lid, windscreen, empty fuel bottle, burner, fuel cup, spoon etc...159g. Add 90ml of fuel...249g.
Need to look in the local supermaket for a shorter squat fuel bottle, if I want it to fit inside.
You could use aluminium foil instead of a heavier titanium lid.

DSCF5710 (Medium).JPG

DSCF5714 (Medium).JPG

Thanks MD, crolly and thanks ofuros for the info and the pics -much appreciated!
So let's say -
Metho.-120 grams bottle and metho (three days). Quick boil (high heat) twice maybe beginning and end of the day at 200mls water.
Pot/Cup with lid -125 grams app -Evernew 95 gms as above plus Ti screen, base plate.
Burner -10 grams app
Total app 235 gms, but has the 'attraction' of storing the bottle in the pot-nice and compact package (but getting that bottle here in Oz probably hopeless-need a Litesmith here https://www.litesmith.com/flip-top-oval-bottles/ --I need 3 or 4 more 60ml bottles and a couple of 120mls cut postage?) if it could be done and I don't see why not. Bottle like this -120mls is 64mm long pot is 120mm long.
Burner and fuel bottle in there too, hmmm maybe not but something to think about.
Just have to ensure I don't confuse my grappa with the metho. :roll:
For your amusement/information https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec4_WN1GLbg&t=
I think the wider flatter pot I linked above is far better greater/quicker heating surface/bottles not going inside tho' it looks like.
Hmmm folly in progress...
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ofuros » Sat 13 Apr, 2019 12:02 pm

Local bottle options...raid your medicine cabinet or the isle in the supermarket...fuel bottles everywhere. :wink:

Wide mouth, short & stubby bottles hold 100 & 120ml, while the 2 baby squeezy top hand sanitizer bottles in the background hold 50ml each.
All leak proof. All fit those smaller diameter cook pots.

DSCF5767 (Medium).JPG
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Sat 13 Apr, 2019 12:34 pm

Ha ha no medicine cabinet here.
Yes, I have reused lots of bottles (and still do when I can find the size I want) for different things. Suscreen, Picaridan etc but I want the smaller bottles for food, olive oil, whiskey etc plus the fuel if I go down that path. I have found many bottles when squeezed will pop the lid.
My daughters are always on the lookout for me too. Brought some home recently that looked good but POP!
The ones from Litesmith are tough as old boots. I have a several and should have bought a whole batch when they had a sale.
Ta for the suggestion.
G
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ofuros » Sat 13 Apr, 2019 12:51 pm

Obviously, delaying mowing the lawn today... :oops:

Down to 200g...pot, aluminium foil lid, spoon, fuel cup, 80ml fuel + bottle, windscreen, add ignition.
I like the way the bottle nests inside the burner. Stretchable to 3days...depending on your burner.

DSCF5769 (Medium).JPG

Allowed out tommorrow... so will play with it somewhere along the Main Range NP. 8)
Back to reality, I'd better make a start...the grass is waiting patiently. :evil:
Last edited by ofuros on Tue 16 Apr, 2019 6:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Sat 13 Apr, 2019 1:10 pm

Nice 8) set 8) up 8) !!
Mowed mine before my walk the other day-first time in seven weeks -no rain here.
Oh and by the way - grass waits for nobody! (cLC2019)
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ChrisJHC » Sat 13 Apr, 2019 1:56 pm

ofuros wrote:Down to 200g...pot, aluminium foil lid, spoon, fuel cup, 80ml fuel + bottle, windscreen, add ignition.

If you’d used a Diet Coke can rather than full-strength it would have been even lighter!

I use the small Listerine bottles to carry small amounts of metho. They hold 300 mL from memory. Never had a leak.
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 13 Apr, 2019 2:13 pm

I like the yoghurt /baby for squeeze bottles because they become more compact as the fuel is used. Naturally you do have to be very careful about lables, having scoffed 50 of 100ml of OP bourbon one day thinking it was apple sauce I now try and use red coloured PVC tape on my metho container
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Sat 13 Apr, 2019 2:16 pm

Hey chris
"If you’d used a Diet Coke can rather than full-strength it would have been even lighter!"
Budda bingo!" :lol:

"I use the small Listerine bottles to carry small amounts of metho. They hold 300 mL from memory. Never had a leak"
You mean 30mls don't you?
Or are you gargling that stuff down like Melbourne Bitter? :shock:
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Sat 13 Apr, 2019 2:18 pm

Moondog55 wrote:.... Naturally you do have to be very careful about lables, having scoffed 50 of 100ml of OP bourbon one day thinking it was apple sauce I now try and use red coloured PVC tape on my metho container

WOWZERS! :roll: :lol: :roll:
My fear as well :!: :!: :!:
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ChrisJHC » Sat 13 Apr, 2019 10:59 pm

Lamont wrote:
"I use the small Listerine bottles to carry small amounts of metho. They hold 300 mL from memory. Never had a leak"
You mean 30mls don't you?
Or are you gargling that stuff down like Melbourne Bitter? :shock:

Just had a “grown up look” - the bottles are 100mL.

And yes, my dentist had me using it daily for a while.
ChrisJHC

Postby ofuros » Sun 14 Apr, 2019 9:17 am

Pushing the limits of weight & convenience...
Origami aluminium baking tray...500ml diy pot...17g ! :shock:

DSCF5785 (Medium).JPG

DSCF5799 (Medium).JPG

Enough playing...I'm out the door to lose myself in some wilderness. :wink:
Last edited by ofuros on Mon 15 Apr, 2019 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby enlightened0ne » Sun 14 Apr, 2019 2:50 pm

My current setup (caldera cone and homemade starlyte/kojin style stove) boils 500mL with 12mL of metho even in mildly windy conditions. For 3 days I would usually bring 60mLs to allow morning and night boils.
I’ve just bought a smaller toaks pot and some titanium to make a caldera for it; it will all fit in the pot with a small fuel bottle, knife, spoon, backflush syringe for my filter, and lighter.
enlightened0ne
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Northern Territory

Postby Lamont » Mon 15 Apr, 2019 5:36 pm

On the way
links follow for your information but no affiliates nor referrals.
Monetta wafers from Safeway et al allow me to create a quite UL windscreen and baseplate.
Cost free (if you don't count the kilojoules going to my khyber)
The one crolly linked (ta again crolly for the detailed info and links) -Ti foil is one I have often thought of getting but I feel like something a bit more shaped- this one sits in the ring shape along the inside walls of the cup, and springs out into a nice fitted circle upon release from the cup and is quite robust, so I cut up my Monetta wafer tin (keep them on hand -Aldi, Coles and SF sell these) and got a base plate and windscreen only slightly heavier than what I think is the best one going which sold by Qiwiz in the US
link- http://www.qiwiz.net/Windscreens.html
his would be for my set up 15 gms and cost about 50AUD -mine weighs 23 gms (now but haven't drilled the vent/holes yet so mine will be very close in weight to the ti and it is quite robust and springy-cut up some Aluminium beer cans but they were too flimsy and wouldn't keep shape and even tore) and cost the price of a pack of wafers 1.99AUD. I buy them anyway, especially for my daughters at Christmas, they love them! They are addictive. If you want to know which ones sing out. I have been using them for years to make windscreens.
Both are cut to suit and fit inside my cup. Toaks ti 400ml (80 mm X 70 mm) -45 gms. Cowabunga (for you surfer you crolly)
Will get a 40ml bottle to fit in as well so I suppose another 50 gms? I reckon with the stove which follows I could heat 280 odd mls of water with about 15 mls metho. easy.
And lastly just bought the Gram Weenie Pro 40mm X 40mm and 17 gms.link - https://dutchwaregear.com/product/batch ... 2/#options
Just want a coffee/tea/bonox in these colder morns and to make a cuppa soup maybe with my tea at night.
Cup sits directly on the stove with wee jets of flame -hoping with windscreen for clean direct heating.
will only need to heat about 280 -300 mls of water.
Thank you all for your input it is much appreciated.
When the weenie arrives I will test it and report back. I feel it will be a great option and potentially more wind worthy than anything else I could discover.
Total outlay 40AUD. I already owned the cup.
Weight including protective earth baseplate 140 grams. for at least 2- but hopefully should work 3 days
Size all up 80mm X 70 mm.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Gippsmick » Mon 15 Apr, 2019 9:17 pm

This is my 2-4 day UL set up.
Attachments
ULstove1.jpg
ULstove1.jpg (111.71 KiB) Viewed 33061 times
ULstove2.jpg
ULstove2.jpg (80.5 KiB) Viewed 33061 times
ULstove3.jpg
ULstove3.jpg (122.69 KiB) Viewed 33061 times
Gippsmick
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby crollsurf » Mon 15 Apr, 2019 11:19 pm

Could be tempted by the gramweenie Lamont. Nice pickup.
Also like ofurus's setup with the fuel inside the stove and Gippsmicks lid

But I'm not a fan of the soda can stove. I know they sit in your pot but I'm always worried it might get crushed. Plus they struggle on cold ground more than other heavier metho stoves I find.

Also is it healthy to use a soda can as a pot? If so I noticed some huge beer cans at the bottlo the other day, I was eyeing them out and thinking they'd work a treat.

The windbreak I mentioned is super flimsy Lamont. Normally need to wedge a few rocks/sticks around it to hold it in place. The wafer tin should work better.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Tue 16 Apr, 2019 5:29 am

crollsurf wrote: could be tempted by the gram weenie

....I'm always worried it might get crushed. Plus they struggle on cold ground more than other heavier metho stoves I find.

The windbreak I mentioned is super flimsy Lamont. Normally need to wedge a few rocks/sticks around it to hold it in place. The wafer tin should work better.
The GWP is rock solid and tiny- no way it's getting crushed. The pot sits right on it. Less space for wind to affect the flame and jets, search HIRAM COOK BATCHSTOVES video from 2013. The wafer tin is light stainless steel. The foil being needed in wind and being so light is what stopped me buying it. Try that wafer tin in your cup. I think Monetta is the Aldi one. It is about 17cm X 11cm tube all the supers sell them under diff names. Already shaped to fit most of the way around your cup/pot. Use it full length for the Amicus. Tin snips (better) or heavy scissors. Drill some holes leeward side.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Tue 16 Apr, 2019 5:23 pm

Some handywork. Inspired by mick and his lid.
Pic 1-beer can lid in two parts -slotted to slide together
Pic 2 -assembled- but showed no weight on the scale, worried it would blow away.
Pic 3 -windscreen -holds it's shape and coils into pot and springs into a rough circle when out-not flimsy at all.
Pic 4-All together -everything inside the cup with new 'fitted' Monetta lid (5 grams) just missing the stove. The wooden handle on my steak knife worked a treat for bending the metal just enough over the pot rim to lightly snap on.
Attachments
20190416_170542.jpg
20190416_170628.jpg
20190416_170657.jpg
20190416_170932.jpg
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Fri 26 Apr, 2019 4:33 pm

Bit disappointed.
The Gram Weenie Pro delivered today was supposed to weigh 22 grams. It only weighs 17grams!
Where's my other 5 grams?
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Wed 01 May, 2019 7:37 pm

My fuel (and whiskey) solution.
Compresses as I use it and fits in the pot shaped around in a curve nicely.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (153.84 KiB) Viewed 32502 times
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ChrisJHC » Thu 02 May, 2019 8:18 pm

Lamont wrote:My fuel (and whiskey) solution.
Compresses as I use it and fits in the pot shaped around in a curve nicely.

Just make sure you don’t mix the two up!
ChrisJHC

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 05 May, 2019 9:13 am

Are those adhesive "Flammable" stickers still available?
I had them on my SIGG fuel bottles after an unfortunate incident where somebody emptied a bottle of Shellite into a billy on a working stove, and incidentally why I never use a SIGG bottle for water
YEP eBay
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Flammable-L ... ctupt=true
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 12 Jan, 2021 4:12 pm

Bringing this back up because I am sorting thru the shed and trying to get more organised again with new shelving and some plastic tubs.
I still have the little Tomshoo billy and I'm wondering how much metho I should store with it in my bumbag in case I need to melt snow for drinking water.
My little Listerine bottle holds 80mls and I know I can get almost 4 cups of very hot water from that amount but how much extra fuel would I need to melt snow and give me the same 4 cups of hot tea?
Using a canister stove or the MSR I know how much extra fuel I need to do this but I've not ever used a cat stove to melt snow. I am guessing that the small bottle will do only one cup plus of hot water when using cold snow as the starting point.
However has anyone here actually used a cat stove to melt snow and if so how did it work out?
Thinking about a bivvy I did a few years back and I only had a small water bottle with me, it was empty and I was very thirsty and slightly dehydrated after days slog.
It would have been a reasonable experience if I'd not been so thirsty and I should be able to carry the small billy with me at all times in a bum bag. Daypack has a billy and canister stove always but on this occasion no daypack, just heavy laden sled full of supplies and no water at all.
Tomshoo billy in bag plus UL insulated base, catfood can 80ml of metho, Lexan spoon and the small windscreen weighs 300 grams. I can get 2 snickers bars in there as well as enough sugar and teabags and maybe a couple cuppasoups too. So what's a better bottle to carry a little more fuel that will fit inside the cat food can and be shorter than the cup? My usual small metho bottle is too tall. Is my usual alternative of a yoghurt squeezie still the best option? If so I'll need to buy some more apple sauce from the baby food section. As an alternative heat source I could add a couple of tea lights but I would then need to add a tallish cross bar to the cat stove to get the clearance needed, thoughts on that?
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Neo » Tue 12 Jan, 2021 7:08 pm

Thoughts indeed MD!
Sounds like you are in the groove. I have a mini listerine bottle but used it for oil. One I saved but is still empty is a little balsamic glaze plastic bottle. One I did keep metho in for a bit was the kids juice bottle with pop top, bottle held over a flame to soften the plastic then squash the neck of the bottle to make it shorter so it fit inside the Illy coffee can 'pot'.

I have either a Soto windmaster or a BRS300 as my small stove options. Dabbled in a cat-can but never went beyond the test boil. Might go play there again, cheers!

(I do use trangia in groups settings)
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 14 Jan, 2021 8:46 am

I use the FireMaple Wasp as my UL set-up for my day pack and I like it for that, mainly because it and a small canister fit into the 900ml MSR Titan kettle and I can still squeeze in a few small snack and brew items.
Each scenario I play through in my head seems to demand a slightly different set-up.
500grams is as small and light as I've ever managed to get for a brew kit that also includes a 1000 Calories
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Next

Return to Ultralight backpacking