Stratospire Li

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Stratospire Li

Postby Kristin » Tue 18 Jun, 2019 5:51 am

Has anyone bit the bullet and bought/tried the Strat Li?
Kristin
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: Stratospire Li

Postby Petew » Thu 23 Jul, 2020 7:00 am

Also curious about this.
Petew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby coimon » Thu 23 Jul, 2020 7:59 am

Yep, I've had one for a while now. What would you like to know?
coimon
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Petew » Thu 23 Jul, 2020 9:21 am

Cool, thankyou.

Happy with it? Plenty of room? Did you get the solid or mesh inner?

Tossing up between this, a duplex, a Bonfus Duos and maybe a DR Li.
Petew

Postby coimon » Thu 23 Jul, 2020 12:39 pm

Very happy with it, great tent.

Loads of room, palatial for one, I use it as a two person tent. Fits my partner and myself plus some gear without issue. Big vestibules. Big footprint to match, but is manageable with the ability to peg vestibules flat and pitch vestibules over objects like rocks and roots. I've even put pegs for guylines into tree stumps before and it pitched fine.

I got both mesh and solid inner.

Never owned a zpacks product, but I wouldn't go near them. Too much smoke for there not to be a fire.
Last edited by coimon on Thu 23 Jul, 2020 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coimon
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Petew » Thu 23 Jul, 2020 1:08 pm

Thanks coimon,

I own a bunch of Zpacks stuff and it's fine. However, a mate has a duplex and the finish around the zip is a mess.

I think if I go down the Stratosphere Li route I'd get the solid inner and make a bathtub floor to suit (when using fly only) to cut some weight.
Petew

Postby Zapruda » Fri 24 Jul, 2020 7:57 am

Petew wrote:Thanks coimon,

I own a bunch of Zpacks stuff and it's fine. However, a mate has a duplex and the finish around the zip is a mess.

I think if I go down the Stratosphere Li route I'd get the solid inner and make a bathtub floor to suit (when using fly only) to cut some weight.

Just throwing my 2c out there...

For years I owned different Zpacks tents and was somewhat satisfied. When I bought my first Tarptent in 2018 I was blown away! The construction, design and quality were light years ahead. I resigned myself to never buy another zpacks product again...
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby north-north-west » Fri 24 Jul, 2020 9:54 am

I'm so glad I signed up for the 2pp XMid before seeing this thread. Or am I . . . ?
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Petew » Fri 24 Jul, 2020 10:10 am

If they made the 2p xmid in DCF I'd be in like Flynn.....
Petew

Postby north-north-west » Fri 24 Jul, 2020 12:04 pm

Petew wrote:If they made the 2p xmid in DCF I'd be in like Flynn.....

If they made the 2p XMid in DCF it would cost approximately three arms and a leg. Might even be worth that if you can afford it.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby cams » Tue 18 Aug, 2020 3:50 pm

Bit late to the party, but my wife and I recently got the Strat Li too. Figured we didn't spend a heap of money on our planned Canada trip, so we'll get another tent.

Only got the solid inner. Have used it a couple of times now. Pitching has gone more smoothly than I expected, although probably still has room for improvement. Dealt with a bit of wind and rain easily on one night, although noted there was more breeze flowing through compared to our Scarp 2. Sides of the fly don't pitch as close to the ground.

Contrary to Coiman's experience though, I'm definitely finding it to be on the tight side inside. Especially compared to the Scarp 2 which may be a bit unfair. I'm 185cm, and when I'm laying on a thick air mat like a Ether Lite it's pretty unavoidable to be making a lot of contact with the inner.

Only very early experiences though, and for the weight I'm definitely willing to keep experimenting.

Build quality seems excellent as I'd expect from Tarptent. I love the magnetic keeper straps for the fly, but I'm a bit confounded as to why they still persist with the silly elastic tie's for the inner keepers. Probably my most hated feature of the Scarp 2 as well. Every time I use it I tell myself I'll figure something better out for this but never get around to it.

_DSC0751.jpg

Sandy soil made us realise how critical the pegging is. Should have brought bigger pegs this day.

_DSC1023.jpg

_DSC1073.jpg

Both inner and outer were encrusted with ice this night, so I was getting a lot brushing off onto my sleeping bag and head. But the conditions were horrendous for condensation. Zero wind.
cams

Postby jjoz58 » Fri 18 Sep, 2020 9:32 pm

I have the LI but haven't had as much use as I would like because of cancelled trips this year. I use it for 1 as I like the room and all my gear inside and it is a palace and so nice to set up just an inner on a nice night. I have just the net inner at the moment. I own a duplex as well and have used it over 220 nights including the AT without any problems, but I did say I would get a double wall when a decent one came along. It will get a workout next year on either the PCT or this years cancelled trips the Bib and TA.
JJ
jjoz58
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tortoise » Wed 21 Oct, 2020 7:40 am

Are you around, Cams? Or does anyone else in Tassie have one that I could see in person?
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Drew » Wed 02 Dec, 2020 5:07 pm

Contrary to Coiman's experience though, I'm definitely finding it to be on the tight side inside. Especially compared to the Scarp 2 which may be a bit unfair. I'm 185cm, and when I'm laying on a thick air mat like a Ether Lite it's pretty unavoidable to be making a lot of contact with the inner.

I was surprised when they released this tent that they made it so much smaller than the original Stratospire. I've had the 2P Strat for a few years and its palatial size is one of the selling points. My partner and I love having all that space inside, plus room for gear in the vestibules. Sure, it has a big footprint, but there's room in the vestibules for rocks, shrubs etc if you don't have enough space. I'm in no hurry to fork out for a DCF tent but when I eventually do I'll want it to be spacious.
Drew

Region: Victoria

Postby Franco » Thu 03 Dec, 2020 8:19 am

At the time the reason had to do with the available width of the DCF rolls.
The Chinese manufacturers have come up with a better way of bonding the floor panels (if needed) and that is how the DR Li does have a wider, than the SS Li, floor.
However there is no plan fr a larger SS Li because of course at this size it is also a bit lighter.
A different , wider, 2 person shelter may happen in the future.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Robi » Wed 10 Feb, 2021 6:10 pm

Loving my sli as a palace for one. Kept me dry in torrential rain in the Otways and again last weekend in My Cole state forest. I prefer the solid inner for everything except really hot conditions as it provides greater privacy, blocks wind and stops splash back with heavy rain. I have been experimenting with Franco’s set up, but still haven’t quite got it down yet. I always end up having to move pegs a bit, but having the inner and outer set up together is such a joy. I did consider the double rainbow, but love the big vestibules as I wanted this tent to be good in crappy conditions. For wet or sandy ground and wind the supplied pegs don’t hold. I would prefer the bathtub was a bit deeper and the inner pockets to be a bit bigger and the inner door tie backs to be a better design, but otherwise it is a ripper tent and my favourite so far.
Robi
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby iamkbird » Tue 23 Feb, 2021 9:21 pm

My SLi arrived just recently. What pegs have you swapped out for? I’m keen to keep the weight down. Taking it to the Prom Southern Circuit in March and wonder if sandy soil will lead to failure with the included nail stakes.
iamkbird
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Drew » Wed 24 Feb, 2021 6:46 am

iamkbird wrote:My SLi arrived just recently. What pegs have you swapped out for? I’m keen to keep the weight down. Taking it to the Prom Southern Circuit in March and wonder if sandy soil will lead to failure with the included nail stakes.

Apart from Oberon Bay none of the Southern Prom's campsites have very sandy soil. I've used the supplied stakes (same ones I think) with my Stratospire (not the Li) in all sorts of places with no problems.
Drew

Return to Ultralight backpacking