UL collapsible cups for hot liquid?

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

UL collapsible cups for hot liquid?

Postby wildwanderer » Tue 03 Sep, 2019 9:36 am

Occasionally using my toaks ti pot as a all-in-one cup, pot, plate can be a bit limiting.

So looking for a UL collapsible cup that can hold hot coffee or soup, so I can get started on cooking the main course while still enjoying a brew.

Any one use one?

There is seat to summits x cup at 45 grams. Any other options?
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: UL collapsible cups for hot liquid?

Postby rowdy » Tue 03 Sep, 2019 10:29 am

Do a search for collapsible silicon cup for trail running. There are lots of cups for trail running races where there are no disposable cups to reduce waste. They typically weigh 10 - 20 grams. Not sure how they hold up to hot liquids though.
rowdy
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Petew » Tue 03 Sep, 2019 11:13 am

I use a sea to summit cup. It weighs approximately 60g, fine with hot liquids and fits into some small pots.
Petew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby ambrose47 » Tue 03 Sep, 2019 7:37 pm

wildwanderer wrote:Occasionally using my toaks ti pot as a all-in-one cup, pot, plate can be a bit limiting.

So looking for a UL collapsible cup that can hold hot coffee or soup, so I can get started on cooking the main course while still enjoying a brew.

Any one use one?

Hi, go to Kmart and try this set out only cost $8.50 for all 3 and the cup is pretty much the same as the Sea to Summit one. I noticed them in Kmart New Zealand and was gutted as I had just brought the Sea to Summit cup and plate at well over 3 x the cost. I see they are on the Australian Kmart website

https://www.kmart.com.au/product/collap ... ce/1744802
ambrose47
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New Zealand

Postby keithy » Tue 03 Sep, 2019 7:39 pm

I also use my titanium pot as a "do all", but also bring a mug for a cuppa while I'm cooking my dinner in the pot.

Personally I find that 200mL is a little small for my daily cuppa or soup, and prefer a mug size > 400mL.

Sea to Summit
Note that the S2S X Cup is the one that is 45g - this one has a relatively small capacity of 250mL. The S2S X Mug is the one that weighs 60g - this holds around 430mL and is better for soups imho. I have the X Mug, but if you want a cheaper version, Kmart has a copy in their Collapsible Dinner Set 3 Piece (which includes a folding plate, bowl and cup). The Kmart cup weighs a little more than the S2S at about 65g.

Running "speedcups"
The mentioned running cups are lighter (usually around 10-20g), some made of TPU, and some made of silicone, but they are thinner and most have a modest capacity of 150-200mL. I have checked out the Hydrapak and Salomon versions. The running cups being thinner make it more challenging if not downright impossible to hold safely when filled with hot liquid. In addition, some of the designs are primarily for running so don't stand up well by themselves when filled.

Foldacup
I have another called the Foldacup, made for the Swedish army. There are 2 versions, the small at 250mL weighs around 24g. The large version has a capacity of 600mL and weighs around 48g. Made of TPE it doesn't fold as flat as the silicone versions. Your mileage may vary, but I found that the TPE transfered a slightly plasticy taste to hot liquids though, but it might have been when new.

Others
I am also currently testing out a new silicone sealable container I got recently as a foldable mug/cup. With a capacity of around 450mL, and weighing 68g, it was designed for food storage in the fridge. I was after something that I could shake when I mix powdered electrolytes or flavoured drink powder on the trail. Putting powdered mix in my current cups, filling from my hydration bladder and stirring with my finger usually left clumps of unmixed powder at the bottom of my cups. This silicone container has a "seal" top, but it isn't a good seal however - it will pop open at the slightest touch. While it will stand on its own when filled, and it is possible (though not comfortable) to hold with hot liquids, it is not as good as the S2S X Mug in my opinion. Also drinking from it is challenging as the seal gets in the way, but I have worked out a method of folding the top over to get a smooth drinking lip. I haven't quite made up my mind about this one yet but it also came in a set of 3 (700mL/450mL/235mL).

My current favourite lightest mug option is a repurposed "instant noodle" cup. I got this on board an Air Asia flight a few years back, cleaned out the cup after use, and have taken it with me on a few trips as my UL mug. It isn't collapsible, but holds hot and cold liquids to about 450mL and weighs around 16g. I made some sharpie markings on the side for various levels but they have mostly been rubbed away now. The cup has taken a battering inside my pack over a few trips.

Pic with the Swedish Foldacup, S2S X Mug, silicone container & instant noodle container.
Lightweight cups.jpg
Lightweight cups.jpg (70.91 KiB) Viewed 32983 times

Links
Kmart version mug https://www.kmart.com.au/product/collap ... ce/1744802

Foldacup https://www.backpackinglight.com.au/wil ... 590ml.html

Silicone Container https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Reusable-Si ... 3198550801
keithy

Region: Other Country

Postby nezumi » Tue 03 Sep, 2019 7:49 pm

wildwanderer wrote:Occasionally using my toaks ti pot as a all-in-one cup, pot, plate can be a bit limiting.

Any one use one?

I have the S2S foldable cup, mainly because I didn't think when I was going on an overnight bike ride with a friend and bought one - then realised that my main coffee method was going to be via aeropress, and the two together would not work.

I've found that the cup itself is very good generally, but you are probably going to want to hold it by the rim when drinking very hot drinks, not the body.
nezumi
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Gadgetgeek » Tue 03 Sep, 2019 8:25 pm

I've got some old orikaso folding stuff that is pretty good, but hard to find. I also like very light poly-carb cups more than silicone folders, I find I can use the space, and the weight is a better save than space generally. I've got some Guyot squishy cups that I think are lighter than 45g, but I don't have them in my spreadsheet.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby wildwanderer » Wed 04 Sep, 2019 7:03 pm

Thanks everybody.

Sounds like there are a few good options. I'l probably go with the collapsable STS or kmart mug for now even though its a little heavier at 60-65 grams. At the moment space is at a greater premium than weight.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baka Dasai » Sun 02 Feb, 2020 12:24 pm

I use the Fozzils foldable cup and bowl. The cup is 33g, and the bowl is 40g. They both pack thin and flat. They snap together in seconds, and snap apart in seconds, but never come unsnapped inadvertently. They are fine with hot drinks.

I can't tell you how long they'll last before the snaps fail, or they tear at the folds, but the reviews I've read suggest either a long time, or maybe never.

https://www.fozzils.com/solo-pack-semi-transparent
Baka Dasai
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Lamont » Tue 04 Feb, 2020 5:51 am

Wildo foldable cup? Two sizes. Don't have one but seem good. On ebay I think.
Also an Evernew 400 ml cup. Nests a 100 gm gas cartridge. For those gas times maybe?
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby rcaffin » Tue 04 Feb, 2020 6:25 pm

Collapsible cups . . . they do, often when full of fresh very hot coffee, and over your lap.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Gippsmick » Wed 05 Feb, 2020 2:29 pm

Orikaso foldable cups work great. Paddy Pallin used to sell them. Light, hold hot liquids fine; fold flat for easy clean up and stow in the pack easy.
https://philsorrell.com/2010/05/19/revi ... tebowlcup/
Gippsmick
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tortoise » Wed 05 Feb, 2020 3:35 pm

Occasionally I want to take a mug as well as my titanium pot/bowl/cup, and have gone with a light plastic cup. I wonder, though, what nasties the boiling water might be leaching out of the plastic into my drink, especially plastics not specifically designed to take anything that hot. Does anybody know details about this issue? Thanks.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Petew » Sat 27 Feb, 2021 2:58 pm

Just threw out my third X cup. I like them but only seem to get about two years out of one before they go at the folds.
Petew

Postby stry » Sun 28 Feb, 2021 7:32 pm

Why bother ?

Australian Army issue plastic mug. 350mil. 23grams. No problem with hot liquids. No taste/taint. Nice size for soup, tea, coffee or water

Fit whatever you like into the mug before you pack it and it takes up no more space than a collapsable, maybe less. Going by this thread the ADF mug is also lighter than a collapsable.

I have two or three, all well over 40 years old, and all are still fine.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ChrisJHC » Mon 01 Mar, 2021 12:21 pm

Agree with Stry’s approach.

I use a titanium mug that fits nicely around my water bottle. Both then go into the side pocket of my pack.
ChrisJHC

Return to Ultralight backpacking