UL Cold Soak Container

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

UL Cold Soak Container

Postby Kurisu » Wed 23 Oct, 2019 9:12 pm

Hi All,

Thanks to American nutcase thru hikers, I have become aware of cold soaking. I gave it a shot and actually like cold soaked couscous, and it got even better when I found Harry's ice cream. As shown, it comes in 500mL tubs, which are very light and more importantly, water tight (I did the fill-and-invert test - not a drop...).

46g, holds plenty for one, aluminium lid, easy to peel labels off...really good ice cream...

But for me the best thing is that it's like they're tailor-made to fit inside a Snow peak 700mL mug.

Hope this is of use to someone.

Cheers,

Chris
Attachments
image000003.jpg
Yum
image000003.jpg (72.42 KiB) Viewed 35363 times
image000001.jpg
clean
image000001.jpg (75.16 KiB) Viewed 35363 times
image000002.jpg
side-by-side
image000002.jpg (73.36 KiB) Viewed 35363 times
image000000.jpg
the perfect fit!
image000000.jpg (69.72 KiB) Viewed 35363 times
Kurisu
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: UL Cold Soak Container

Postby crollsurf » Wed 23 Oct, 2019 9:50 pm

I can see Lamont gagging at the mention of Cous Cous.

For an overnighter you don't even need that. A bread roll, some cheese and cured meat works a treat.

Cold soaking is a great option but a lot of the Yanks are walking into town every couple of days for Beer and Pizza. A luxury not many multiday hikes afford here.

Personally 300g for gas and a stove is good weight but presoaking before reaching camp definitely saves on fuel.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Kurisu » Wed 23 Oct, 2019 10:03 pm

Thanks for the comments.
Wasn't intending to start any kind of debate about righteousness of cold soaking, through-hiking (whichever spelling one prefers) or beer & pizza, just to highlight an option for those who might be interested and like a convenient way to try it.
As you say, it's also a way to save on fuel - which seems to me to be a good thing. I will also still carry my stove, but use less gas and keep my mug clean for coffee, which is my priority. :-)
Kurisu
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby crollsurf » Wed 23 Oct, 2019 10:12 pm

Sorry if I offended you. Walk your own walk.

crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby QueenLucyVanPelt » Thu 24 Oct, 2019 7:37 am

Thanks, Kurisu! I was looking into what Australians have been using here also. I use a Ziploc 475mL screw top, which I've only just realised I cannot buy in Australia (weighing in at 39g, but wouldn't sit in your snow peak). I've used it for numerous things on trail. Especially during 7-10 day food carries! Morning coffee (it holds heat well being microwave safe), freeze-dried smoothies, multi-v/hydration tablet drinks, carrying a few extra mils of water to a dry camp, and cold soaking in fire ban areas. Your suggestion weighs in lighter than the thru-hiking Talenti jars! I'm impressed! :) Thanks for the suggestion. When my Ziploc container dies, I know where to head next!
PCT SOBO '17, PCT SOBO Washington '19, Uinta Highline, GC R2R2R
QueenLucyVanPelt
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Lamont » Thu 24 Oct, 2019 3:27 pm

crollsurf wrote:I can see Lamont gagging at the mention of Cous Cous.

A bit yeah Crolly-your'e not wrong there. Haven't eaten it home or out for a long while :shock:
One day I will learn a bit more about the soaking- would like to do some pulses etc.
We have had some really stellar soaking trials on the gourmand thread which I followed with great interest.
Thanks for offering this up Kirisu.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Kickinghorse » Sun 03 Nov, 2019 10:11 pm

An good idea re ex Harry’s containers. Me also not so fond of pulses etc but have found that McVities Hobnobs/ Digestive buscuits fit well and provide room for about 12.
Am partial to these with a bit of marg around morning tea time, the bonus being they tend not to get crushed in my pack as with a food bag etc.
Phil
Kickinghorse
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Gippsmick » Wed 05 Feb, 2020 2:37 pm

Wanting to test out cold soaking ideas but not completely ready to dispense with my stove (until I learn if cold soaking works for me), I’ve just started to use the Vargo Bot 700ml bottle. It’s providing options at the moment with the ability to cold soak but also to cook a hot meal if required. Expensive for what it is but is working out at the moment. One flaw I picked out was that if cold soaking and the lid is screwed too tight it can vacuum seal with a lot of elevation gain. If I fine that cold soaking is the right way to go then it will be the old Talenti icecream jar for me in future.
Gippsmick
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ofuros » Wed 05 Feb, 2020 3:37 pm

Coconut cooking oil & Gatorade/Powerade powder containers, all around 500ml in size also work if you can't find a Harry's/Talenti container locally.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby flingebunt » Sun 09 Feb, 2020 8:32 pm

First I want to admit that I love couscous, and even eat cold couscous at home (home recipes are a bit different from trail recipes though).

The next is that the most ultralight you can go with cold soak containers is not to take any at all. The idea behind the containers is that you put your noodles or couscous in them, add water, put them back in your pack and keep walking for 30 minutes or more, then have the food on the trail. This is a great idea if you are walking from before sunrise through to after sunset, and basically want to eat on the trail.

Yes it is possible to go no prep. There are lots of things you can put on crackers, flat breads/tacos etc to make a substantive meal. But what I am suggesting is that if you are not cold soaking on the move, you don't even need a cold soaking container.

For example
  • Couscous comes in foil containers. You can add in water, fold down the top, even wrap a rubber band around the contain and let it sit for 15 or 20 minutes. Then you open it up and then add in meat, beans from the pouches etc and eat from the packet.
  • Instant mash potato is ready instantly you add cold water. Just put it in your little plastic packet you would normally use to portion out your food, then add in the water, mix and add in whatever you planned to add to your mash potatoes. Mashed potatoes also come in about 100g packets (are these foil, I am not sure).
  • Noodles come in plastic, styrofoam and other containers, which you can use to cold soak. But you can just transfer the noodles to those portion bags and soak in those.
  • Instant oats comes in little foil packets as well. Add cold water or milk and it just like eating rolled oats.

If something comes in a foil pack, you can always beg some hot water off a fellow hiker for a warm meal using those packets. But you can buy the proper ziplock bags or silicon reusable storage bags that can be used with hot water.

Like I said, if you are cold soaking while walking on the trail a screw top container is a great idea. But if your hike schedule gives you time to stop and cold soak when not moving, you don't really need one.
flingebunt
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ofuros » Fri 24 Apr, 2020 3:11 pm

For those who like a tepid soak... :wink:

https://www.gossamergear.com/products/the-crotch-pot
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ofuros » Thu 30 Apr, 2020 1:22 pm

IMG_20200430_092121_789_copy_1305x979.jpg

1 liltre Cnoc soak bag...made for long spoon users. Made from Tpu. Light @ 58g
Leak proof. Stiff slider, hard to clean, difficult to turn inside for a quick dry, doesn't stand on it's own. Squeeze opening to eat. Packs flat. Too big for a single person.

500ml food safe silicone slider bag. Heaviest @ 98g.
Leak proof. Slider slides with just the right amount of resistance. Easy to clean. Turns inside out for drying. Opening stays open while eating. Stands on it's own when full. Packs flat.

500ml repurposed ice-cream container. Lightest @ 46g.
Leak proof. Screw on screw off lid. Easy to clean. Opening always open. Stable when full. Doesn't pack flat.
Last edited by ofuros on Thu 30 Apr, 2020 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mark F » Thu 30 Apr, 2020 1:49 pm

orofus - I have always preferred a wide screw top container for soaking for the versatility and ease of cleaning. I also use it as a bowl for breakfast or as a mug. I have found several options around the 50g mark. My current one is a Multix 500ml (47g) - a pack of 4 from Colesworths cost about $5. They are marked on the base as 450ml but hold about 600ml if filled to the brim. They are also marked up the sides in 50ml volume increments and nicely hold a 100g gas canister when not used for soaking.

Never liked freezer bag type options for either soaking or eating from.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ofuros » Thu 30 Apr, 2020 2:19 pm

Nice find, Mark...screw top is the way to go.
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby katcal » Wed 20 Jan, 2021 12:35 pm

Mark F - i am trying to find the screw top multix container you mention, but can't find anything from Coles or Woolies. Would you have a link or image?

Cheers
katcal
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby ofuros » Wed 20 Jan, 2021 6:27 pm

katcal wrote:Mark F - i am trying to find the screw top multix container you mention, but can't find anything from Coles or Woolies. Would you have a link or image?

Cheers

Perhaps no longer made, katcal...couldn't find it on Multix's website.

Decor have a 500ml plastic screw top @ Spotlight not sure of the weight, but I'm sure the local supermarket will have something similar on somewhere on their shelves...just have to eat the contents first.

Kmart also has a 3pack 500ml plastic screw top...for under $2
Last edited by ofuros on Fri 22 Jan, 2021 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mark F » Thu 21 Jan, 2021 9:45 am

katcal wrote:Mark F - i am trying to find the screw top multix container you mention, but can't find anything from Coles or Woolies. Would you have a link or image?

Cheers

Yes - they seem to have disappeared. Before them I used one of the Decor containers which was a few (not many) grams heavier.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby katcal » Thu 21 Jan, 2021 11:16 am

Ahhh well! Decor container it is then! Thanks for the reply :)
katcal
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Robi » Wed 10 Feb, 2021 5:28 pm

I tend to use an empty Bega peanut butter jar. There are a few size options and they have never leaked. Most of the time, I cold soak in my saucepan, because I do it to save fuel and am going to heat it anyway. However, where I am doing overnight oats and animals are problematic, I use the PB jar.
Robi
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby oysters » Tue 16 Feb, 2021 1:56 pm

Litesmith (I've bought things from them in the past) have cold soak containers that they've specifically sought out with some nice little pro's to make life easier, like flat bottom, no lip, and good seal. I'm keen to give it a try but the shipping on one container is rediculous!

https://www.litesmith.com/cold-soaking-jars/
oysters
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: South Australia

Return to Ultralight backpacking