Tarptent Double Rainbow Li

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Re: Tarptent Double Rainbow Li

Postby Zapruda » Wed 17 Jun, 2020 9:49 pm

Kott wrote:Thanks Zapruda...looks like you had a great trip and good weather...

I'm glad you liked it and great tips on how to set it up.

I pulled the trigger on one last week too so excited to get my hands on it.

This is my first single wall tent, needless to say I'm a tad worried about the condensation. Saying that, last week I was up in the Victorian high country with double walled tent and it got was completely wet both inside and out from the condensation/humidity even though the sky was clear and there was nice breeze.

Exactly, the alps are just horrible for condensation. I’ve never had a tent that didn’t get soaked at some point in the year, double wall or not. This happens no matter where I pitch my tent. I’ll even seek out a high point to get a bit of a breeze when appropriate.

In sure you will love the DR Li.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby headwerkn » Mon 26 Oct, 2020 3:39 pm

We got to test out our new DRLi this weekend just past. Sun, rain, wind and some snow up at Lake Oenone. Damn spring weather.

The Good -
It weighs practically nothing.
It's fast to pitch... probably even faster when I learn to stop treating it like its made from tissue paper ;-)
Spacious 2-up... more so than our Hubba Hubba NX.
It's surprisingly warm with the silnylon liner fitted.
Condensation isn't a huge issue... certainly not as bad as I thought it would be.
Seems to cope with wind pretty well.

The Not So Great -
The vestibules are tiny. "Porch Mode' is a near necessity for easy access most of the time if you want to keep gear kinda under cover. At least when you're 2-up.
The darn rats at Echo Point decided to chew a hole through the vent despite all food being in the storage bins AND a protective cordon of Bushmans around the perimeter. On the first night we used it :roll:
Attachments
_1140005 (Small).jpg
_1140005 (Small).jpg (155.84 KiB) Viewed 16572 times
_1140008 (Small).jpg
_1140008 (Small).jpg (180.35 KiB) Viewed 16572 times
IMG_9261 (Small).jpg
IMG_9261 (Small).jpg (140.48 KiB) Viewed 16572 times
IMG_9433 (Small).jpg
IMG_9433 (Small).jpg (167.55 KiB) Viewed 16572 times
IMG_9472 (Small).jpg
headwerkn
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby Speedgull » Wed 17 Feb, 2021 2:19 pm

Quick question for those who also purchased the liner with this tent.

Do you leave the liner attached to the tent when storing or do you remove when packing up.

Has anyone tried camping in this in a decent wind and if so at what point does the tent become a vacuumed sealed meat pack?

Loving the reviews so far, thanks :D
Speedgull
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Western Australia

Postby headwerkn » Fri 19 Feb, 2021 7:24 pm

We leave the liner in. Just towel dry above it if it's still a bit damp before packing up.

Held up well in strong winds at High Moor and Haven Lake a couple of weeks back. Used the extra tie-out points on the arch for a bit of extra security as the wind is rather variable in those WA lakeside bowls.

Vacuum sealed meat pack? We keep ours as open as the weather allows - porch or partial porch mode. Vents well.
headwerkn

Region: Tasmania

Postby Kott » Sat 20 Feb, 2021 2:09 pm

I took mine to the grampians last october for two crazy nights. it was abnormally hot during the day which meant that at night Grampians created their own weather system with strange circular wind. It was crazy...I could hear the wind coming as the rumble moved round the "bowl". You could count down when the gust would hit you..5-10sec of strong shaking of the tent and there were many times I was thinking it will break the pole but it survived it. I didnt sleep well but the tent survived it. I'd say it can handle wind fairly well.
Kott
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Previous

Return to Ultralight backpacking