Replacement Rain Jacket: Montane or RAB or

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Replacement Rain Jacket: Montane or RAB or

Postby Aushiker » Thu 07 May, 2020 11:16 am

Hi

My warranty replacement Outdoor Research Helium 2 failed at the zipper this morning. EDIT I grabbed the old jacket in the dark so the new one is all good. Still interested in a possible upgrade as I am little wary of the Helium now.

So on the lookout for a replacement ... ideally, sub 200 grams and very packable as used bikepacking.

My current shortlist is a Montane Minus Stretch Ultra or a RAB Flashpoint 2. Any thoughts on either or suggestions for other jackets to consider?

Also thinking very lightweight waterproof trousers ... any experiences or thoughts on options?

Thanks
Andrew
Andrew
Aushiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Western Australia

Re: Replacement Rain Jacket: Montane or RAB or

Postby ChrisJHC » Thu 07 May, 2020 5:29 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Also thinking very lightweight waterproof trousers ... any experiences or thoughts on options?

I hate wearing rain pants while hiking. The only time I'll take them is if I'm expecting a lot of rain while I'm at camp.

I have never found them to breathe as per the manufacturers claims.

I'd rather wear shorts and let my legs get wet and dry out again than walk with my legs in a bag of what feels like slimy water.
In most of Aus it doesn't get too cold to not wear shorts all year round.

Note that I'd probably change my mind if in the snow where cold and wet can kill you.
ChrisJHC

Region: Victoria

Postby andrewa » Thu 07 May, 2020 7:11 pm

I’ve been happy with my ZPacks Vertice jkt over the last few years. Even lighter at 176g!

But, if the original jacket was fine, except for the zip, I’d probably just have replaced the zip!

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby slparker » Thu 07 May, 2020 8:10 pm

If you want ultralight rain trousers I can recommend salomon running trousers. What I like about them is that they have stretch, a very slim fit (I hate baggy waterproof pants) and breathe reasonably well. Over shorts they are very comfortable against the skin and the DWR lasts all day but not an off track garment. I bought them as a 'just in case' layer but they proved to be much better than that and I pack them as a wind layer as well.

Addit: Just noting that you want this gear for bikepacking. A unique challenge, I think, as any waterproof layer results in lots of condensation (at least when I ride) as metabolism is higher than when walking. I have used the salomon waterproofs cycling but I sweat buckets when riding so less useful but the cut is excellent. 3/4 waterproofs are better when cycling IMHO although I am a 'sports' cyclistrather than a touring cyclist.

In winter I wear 3/4 softshell pants on my MTB or 'roubaix' pants which I think is the same as polartec powerstretch. I just prefer to be warm and damp when riding and get into dry clothes when I stop.

Addit #2 - the RAB kinetic plus is quite good but is 300g. Slim cut for the bike and waterproof but the dwr would fail on a multiday wet ride. Very comfortable against th eskin or over a base layer and has an air permeable membrane so can be worn in very cold conditions as a wind layer.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wayno » Fri 08 May, 2020 5:12 am

you can get waterproof mountain biking long shorts...

Rab firewall are the lightest pants i've got 300gm

Montane have a higher seam stitch count per inch,
I like Rab, but easier for me to source than montane. need to try the RAB's on they can run a bit small around the shoulders, seems to be a big difference between mens and large sizes... i have to go for large, bit larger than I'd like in raincoats but mens just isnt big enough
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Aushiker » Fri 08 May, 2020 11:07 am

slparker wrote:If you want ultralight rain trousers I can recommend salomon running trousers. What I like about them is that they have stretch, a very slim fit (I hate baggy waterproof pants) and breathe reasonably well. Over shorts they are very comfortable against the skin and the DWR lasts all day but not an off track garment. I bought them as a 'just in case' layer but they proved to be much better than that and I pack them as a wind layer as well.

Addit: Just noting that you want this gear for bikepacking. A unique challenge, I think, as any waterproof layer results in lots of condensation (at least when I ride) as metabolism is higher than when walking. I have used the salomon waterproofs cycling but I sweat buckets when riding so less useful but the cut is excellent. 3/4 waterproofs are better when cycling IMHO although I am a 'sports' cyclistrather than a touring cyclist.

In winter I wear 3/4 softshell pants on my MTB or 'roubaix' pants which I think is the same as polartec powerstretch. I just prefer to be warm and damp when riding and get into dry clothes when I stop.

Addit #2 - the RAB kinetic plus is quite good but is 300g. Slim cut for the bike and waterproof but the dwr would fail on a multiday wet ride. Very comfortable against th eskin or over a base layer and has an air permeable membrane so can be worn in very cold conditions as a wind layer.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I will have a look at the Salomon trousers. I hadn't considered that brand. The trousers I have had a look at are running ones which I am fine with (run also so maybe handy for that). I have a pair of heavy-duty Endura trousers which are fine for commenting and day walks but not something I want to take on multi-day walks or bikepacking.
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri 08 May, 2020 11:17 am

wayno wrote:you can get waterproof mountain biking long shorts...

Rab firewall are the lightest pants i've got 300gm

Montane have a higher seam stitch count per inch,
I like Rab, but easier for me to source than montane. need to try the RAB's on they can run a bit small around the shoulders, seems to be a big difference between mens and large sizes... i have to go for large, bit larger than I'd like in raincoats but mens just isnt big enough

I hadn't considered "waterproof" mountain bike long shorts. Now off to explore that option.

Edit: TheGround Effect Helter Skelters look interesting, but weigh in above 200 grams

I have RAB shirts for running and a Montane windproof jacket which I cannot find listed anymore. I am really impressed as to how that is stood up to being used as it is so light and thin. It is my daily early morning jacket for riding. That is a tick for Montane in my book.
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby wayno » Fri 08 May, 2020 11:41 am

they are quite often using the same fabrics.
the market is dominated by Pertex, and gore tex now at the top end of the market.
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Tino B » Fri 08 May, 2020 5:10 pm

I have Montbell Versalite jacket and pants for fast and light /just in case and also use them to extend a bag’s comfort limit. They weigh 186g and 95g respectively. My jacket is an older model before they put in pit zips and the pants have no venting.
Tino B
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Ultralight backpacking