Trail runner suggestions

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Re: Trail runner suggestions

Postby Stew63 » Tue 16 Jun, 2020 7:44 pm

$39 on sale at BigW - the legends continue!
Attachments
KT26.png
KT26
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby headwerkn » Thu 18 Jun, 2020 1:28 pm

Stew63 wrote:A couple of years ago I was running the YouYangs in a 50km-er with newish Salomon FellCross trail shoes. Suddenly one of the laces (kevlar?) literally ripped through 2 of the (weak) lace retainers - shoe now flapping around on my foot! I contacted Salomon (and sent photos) and they immediately despatched a replacement pair and let me keep the original pair!

That is legitimately the first instance I've heard of lacing system fail on Salomons. When I first started wearing them some years ago my first thoughts were "ooh, that lacing system's a liability if something breaks". Seven pairs later, it has never happened. Soles wear out, inners disintegrate, foam turns to concrete over 500-1000km, but the laces look new. In fact I've often thought about how to dig them out of old shoes to put them in the Peregrines ;-) Speed Laces stretch too much for technical trail.

At least Salomon wasted no time sending out a fresh pair. Nice to know some manufacturers stand by their products still.
headwerkn
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby slparker » Thu 18 Jun, 2020 7:04 pm

I've beenwearing salomons for running and walking for 15 years now and have never had the laces break but the locking cams do wear out after a couple of years of constant use which is an easy replacement.
I also carry a spare lace and cam in my pack just in case but I trust the laces more than the soles on some boot brands, which I've had disintegrate on the track.
I get that the problem in this case was the lace loop tearing out, which would indeed be a bummer but you can cut the lace and rethread through an improvised lacehole if this happens - but you need the spare locking cam kit as you can't recycle them after you've dismantled them.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Neo » Fri 19 Jun, 2020 11:27 pm

Unfortunately the KT is not broad enough for me! Like them in black.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Lamont » Mon 13 Jul, 2020 1:30 pm

Kt26
Visit to the big city of Geelong finally.
Tried on some new Volleys as well-who the Ef are those things made for? Long and skinnier even than my last pairs.
Picture below is compared to my Rossi leather desert boot in a true Ozzie size 10. Remember when we had Australian sizes? Had to go up a whole size to get some width. Will give them a good thrashing tomorrow. Some steep granite walking and dirt and a light run-let's hope.
If they cark it will be my leisure/dancing shoes which I needed anyway.
Did not have the standard blue Kts in anyhere near my size. Might take the inner sole out of my Inov8s. 6mm of comfort.
Could not tell any diff between the strength of meshy stuff on the Trad blue Kts and these. Slightly different lug pattern though.
Heel lock, which is crucial for me, might prove difficult-given the flipper like size I had to go for.
Very solid and comfy break dancing on the street just now, busted a nice move.
Attachments
20200713_131707.jpg
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/

Postby Zapruda » Mon 13 Jul, 2020 3:08 pm

I find them quite wide. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts G.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Lamont » Mon 13 Jul, 2020 4:42 pm

Yeah bit disappointed, wanted to try on the 10s but not a sausage in stock at the Big w.
Bit disappointed in the lug pattern on all the variations of the KT26s in stock.
I had some steel capped ones a while back and they had a terrific underpattern of lugs and depth.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby crollsurf » Wed 15 Jul, 2020 5:38 pm

Having seen Zapurda's big toe in a previous post! Should Lamont pull his toe nail out first or just wait until the KTs do it for him.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Thu 16 Jul, 2020 8:19 am

Two degrees and my feet are toasty Crolly. Took about 30ks to break them in and now seem to be ok with a Inov8 inner sole.

No fear about the toe Crolly I shall keep my standing as a foot model. Not in Ray McKigney's 'likeness' of course-in more ways than one.
Attachments
20200716_080613.jpg
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Zapruda » Thu 16 Jul, 2020 8:34 pm

crollsurf wrote:Having seen Zapurda's big toe in a previous post! Should Lamont pull his toe nail out first or just wait until the KTs do it for him.

Every gram counts!
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Fri 17 Jul, 2020 12:45 pm

Zapruda wrote:
crollsurf wrote:Having seen Zapurda's big toe in a previous post! Should Lamont pull his toe nail out first or just wait until the KTs do it for him.

Every gram counts!

Bananas light (copyright pending) :lol:
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby flingebunt » Fri 17 Jul, 2020 4:16 pm

My quick contribution here is that when people talk about trail runners they are talking about both trail runners and hiking shoes. When choosing shoes, you need to choose between these two.

Trail runners tend to have a running sole strengthened to handling running over rocks. The tread pattern tends to be optimised for moving forward. Many people wearing trail runners find that when they are going down a steep gravelly slope, they are more likely to slip forward. If they try to go down crabwise, they have the same result. Of course, a trail runner is more likely to take that slope at speed, so the lack of traction is not so important. I would also assume that they are optimised for cushioning your feet while running. Trail runners are great and have really changed what people wear when hiking. Oh, and some trail runners have a softer sole, which means more grip on rock, but they wear down very fast.

When you look at the tread pattern on the bottom of hiking shoes, you will see a more conventional pattern to your hiking boots that provide better grip in all directions. They tend to be a little heavier and sturdier than trail runners as well, so they last longer but a little heavier. Most likely they are optimised for walking over running. Thanks to the trend in trail runners, more and more hiking shoes are looking like runners from the top. They are light and have plenty of ventilation. They water drains out quickly when going through creeks, but of course your feet get cold in the snow. Then there is the sturdy hiking shoe, that looks like a boot, just without the ankle support. They do provide more foot protection, but weigh more and drain less (even worse if you buy the Gore-tex ones.

I am using Diadora's at the moment. Trail running top and hiking shoe sole. Light but sturdy, but doesn't quite provide the comfort of some other shoes and boots I have worn in the past.
flingebunt
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Lamont » Tue 21 Jul, 2020 4:08 pm

Zapruda wrote:I find them quite wide. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts G.

Well Stef my black ones have about 70ks on them (my Altra Lone Peaks began to tear open at this point) and are going so well, and I saw the blue standard variant online on special for $39 delivered. Bought a pair in size 10.
My black ones will now move to support my nascent break dancing career.
The inner sole on the blues is thicker than the black variant the lugs are deeper and 'better' spaced and the inner sole says 'Wide fit"-and they are-'quite'.
As you say Stef and I would agree 'quite wide' is apt.
If they just had about 3-4 or so extra mm they would be as wide as my Altras now binned, in the same size.
Looking forward to busting a move in them.
Crolly you're next-I want a pic with you wearing them soonish.
G
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby crollsurf » Tue 21 Jul, 2020 9:08 pm

They look Bogan to me. Do they do an authopeadic version in Brogue for the discerning gentleman.

At $40, next time I'm in Big W, I'll get a pair. I was in one on those big shopping centres just recently to get a Bialetti Brikka but they were out of stock. Damn you Lamont and your Coffee.

crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Wed 22 Jul, 2020 6:35 am

I'm thinking a pic in the wild with your coffee pot and KTs is in order sharpish.
$30 now. $39 delivered.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Wed 22 Jul, 2020 9:06 am

crollsurf wrote: I was in one on those big shopping centres just recently to get a Bialetti Brikka but they were out of stock. Damn you Lamont and your Coffee.

Tea for me this morning.
I'm on smoko.
Attachments
20200722_085920.jpg
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Zapruda » Wed 22 Jul, 2020 10:40 am

Nice pot and nice shoes!

KTs have to be the blue green colour. Im glad they are working out for you G.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Zapruda » Wed 22 Jul, 2020 10:42 am

crollsurf wrote:Bialetti Brikka

My Nonna would be proud!
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Sat 01 Aug, 2020 12:16 pm

crollsurf wrote: I was in one on those big shopping centres just recently to get a Bialetti Brikka but they were out of stock. Damn you Lamont and your Coffee.

I think I want one.
How's the coffee Crolly? Never used a Brikka but have looked at them.
Are you getting some from of 'crema like' action ?
How would you judge the taste etc compared to the standard Moka pot?
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby crollsurf » Sat 01 Aug, 2020 5:57 pm

Hi Lamont, The Brikka makes a lot better coffee than my old no-name Moka 1, I think I prefer it over our Breville Expresso machine. Very strong and has that lovely after taste that lingers for a long time, like the coffee the Italians drink on the way to work. Downside is 467g and I think its more froth than crema to be honest. Still, it wont be left behind when car camping or canoe trips.
Here is picture of it next to a pair of Trail runners to get an idea of size.
brikka.jpg
brikka.jpg (163.05 KiB) Viewed 34260 times
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Sat 01 Aug, 2020 6:13 pm

Thanks Crolly.That's good to know. Will hunt one down. Thinking about the Brikka for home use. Given the coffee pot up walking-jackaroo style coffee only or tea. Those shoes will just give you cachet you never knew you needed. People will defer to you, the air will appear fresher, children will whisper in awe as you go by and you'll just glide along. Mine will rack up 110 ks tomorrow. Have beat the hell out of them and still seem fine. No wear on the soles that I can discern. Did take a little while to wear in though.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby CraigVIC » Tue 10 Nov, 2020 9:18 am

I've been wearing the KTs for a couple of weeks so early days to say much about them. They're an interesting shoe being quite narrow, ie the sole is basically the size of your foot. Great for scrambling as your foot goes just where you expect without getting caught and wedged etc but also a lot less stable than other shoes that flare out.

The look is far out and quite endearing.
CraigVIC

Region: Victoria

Postby Neo » Thu 12 Nov, 2020 10:53 am

I would give Topo a miss. One of the wider fitting brands, however my second pair is separating between the upper and the sole after less than three months wear (walking not trail running).

Planning to post them directly to head office.

Previous similar pair had a softer mesh on the upper which I patched a few times to get 12 months out of wear, included six months of hibernation!
Attachments
IMG_20201112_113933_3.jpg
Topo MT3, both sides both shoes
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby mikeRsyd » Thu 12 Nov, 2020 11:02 am

Injinjiperformanceshop is the importer of these. I've had good luck with topos, generally I kill the midsole and wear out the tread before the uppers.

Sent from my Mi 9 Lite using Tapatalk
mikeRsyd
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Neo » Thu 12 Nov, 2020 12:02 pm

I wear their toe socks exclusively now. The current mid-grey coloured liner socks wear holes after three months, but the light grey liners and all others last well over a year.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby mikeRsyd » Thu 12 Nov, 2020 12:12 pm

I've tired the socks, the wool and cool max but I suffer toe wedgies down hills. They do look kinda cool

Sent from my Mi 9 Lite using Tapatalk
mikeRsyd
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Lamont » Thu 12 Nov, 2020 12:17 pm

Cassius Clay.
They're not overly fond of the mud, but the mud loves them.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mookie » Thu 12 Nov, 2020 3:40 pm

I love my Altra Lone peak 4.5's So so so comfy after coming out of merrel moabs. I have since bought a pair of Altra road running shoes also. I am a size 7 (female US size) generally, and went up a half size with both my Altras. They dry fast after getting wet, have great traction and under foot feel.
I bought mine in store at Footpro in Malvern https://footpro.com.au (absolutely no affiliation), they were great and I noticed they have quite a few different Altras on sale at the moment.

Good Luck!
Mookie
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby Neo » Sat 21 Nov, 2020 2:57 pm

Neo wrote:I would give Topo a miss. One of the wider fitting brands, however my second pair is separating between the upper and the sole after less than three months wear (walking not trail running).

Planning to post them directly to head office.

Previous similar pair had a softer mesh on the upper which I patched a few times to get 12 months out of wear, included six months of hibernation!

Edit here, I was disappointed and a bit annoyed but on reflection this pair of shoes was likey on the snelf for at least a year and I bought them a year before wearing. So it's highly probable it is that standard glue issue where not being used for some time it lets go when put in use.

Rather than courier them to head office which was my first reaction I have pocked up a tube of Sellys shoe fix. Not sure if I want to use that or find a clear product instead. I will repair the shoes as they are still near new in every other way. Cheers.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby crollsurf » Wed 25 Nov, 2020 5:30 pm

An update on the Brikka and wearing the Dunlop KT's

The Dunlop KT's I'm liking a lot, except for the styling which pairs nicely with a walking frame! In fact they have become my go to shoe walking locally. Light, great cushioning, good tread, comfortable and cheap as chips. I'm surprised but they have won me over. The only issue I have with Dunlop KT's is that the uppers lack support which may be standard for lightweight trail runners. Walking downhill with my toes getting crushed in the front of the shoe isn't something I would risk long haul.

BTW don't waste your money on the Brikka Lamont, it is a cut above but not worth the extra money and weight and the crema claim is BS.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

PreviousNext

Return to Ultralight backpacking