Trail runner suggestions

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Re: Trail runner suggestions

Postby Lamont » Thu 26 Nov, 2020 9:00 am

crollsurf wrote:An update on the Brikka and wearing the Dunlop KT's

The Dunlop KT's I'm liking a lot, except for the styling which pairs nicely with a walking frame! In fact they have become my go to shoe walking locally. Light, great cushioning, good tread, comfortable and cheap as chips. I'm surprised but they have won me over. The only issue I have with Dunlop KT's is that the uppers lack support which may be standard for lightweight trail runners. Walking downhill with my toes getting crushed in the front of the shoe isn't something I would risk long haul.

BTW don't waste your money on the Brikka Lamont, it is a cut above but not worth the extra money and weight and the crema claim is BS.

Funny about the foot sliding-I had that happen once but I had run about 6ks so my socks would have been damp, but a quick tighten of the laces worked at the time. Try some thinner laces maybe to pin your foot better perhaps? Being there's no real mesh other than the very front you are going to get the heat up in them-are you wearing some nice light socks? Maxx socks from Target are crackers.
Got well over 500ks on one pair of the KTs and 350 on my other pair-the soles are starting to collapse a bit think.
I don't remember if I said I got myself a second hand coffee machine Crolly, after some trialling it will make a shop quality short black (better than many shops) -new they are quite cheap. I think you might have a machine but if your done with it sing out and I'll give you the details.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Dexter » Thu 28 Jan, 2021 2:37 pm

I've bought Salomons for years. I grabbed my usual XA Pro 3D in the latest v8 online (new my size etc already). When they arrived they were a very different fit to all my previous shoes. They slipped at the back for me, and just felt much less snug. I still have a pair going now, and I don't even have to pull the laces tight and the shoe just stays where it should, comfy, no blisters. Now that my shoe of choice looks to be changed forever, I'll have to look at new options eventually. Kinda keen to give these KT's a go!
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby slparker » Wed 10 Feb, 2021 1:43 pm

Dexter wrote:I've bought Salomons for years. I grabbed my usual XA Pro 3D in the latest v8 online (new my size etc already). When they arrived they were a very different fit to all my previous shoes. They slipped at the back for me, and just felt much less snug. I still have a pair going now, and I don't even have to pull the laces tight and the shoe just stays where it should, comfy, no blisters. Now that my shoe of choice looks to be changed forever, I'll have to look at new options eventually. Kinda keen to give these KT's a go!

That's terrible news. I have been wearing XA pros for well over a decade. They went tighter in the midfoot about 5 years ago or so but the heel cup was always one of the best things about them (IMO). I am currently rocking the wide version and will have to now buy any of the previous models that I can find....
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Dexter » Sun 14 Feb, 2021 6:22 pm

Yeah it sucks when the perfect fit changes on you. Everyone's different though, but the heel was very different. It could possibly be the change from the GTX to the non GTX version? But I'd be surprised if the two versions had such a different fit.

On another note, I picked up some Brookes Ghost 13's. Just cross runners with a decent chunky tread pattern. I'll be interested to see how they go as a lighter more breathable shoe.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Drew » Wed 19 May, 2021 10:29 am

After years of trial and error I found that the Salomon XA Pro wide fit was a very comfy shoe for my feet. However I've found that the soles wear quite quickly so I'm considering replacing the current pair with the Salomon Ultra wide, which I'm told has a more durable sole (and it 50% off at the moment). Anyone have thoughts on this?

Unfortunately the Ultra wide only comes in GTX, which I'd prefer to avoid in most circumstances.
Drew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Drew » Wed 19 May, 2021 12:10 pm

That's terrible news. I have been wearing XA pros for well over a decade. They went tighter in the midfoot about 5 years ago or so but the heel cup was always one of the best things about them (IMO). I am currently rocking the wide version and will have to now buy any of the previous models that I can find....

The Salomon website says that the XA Pro V8 is a wider fit than the older models, but they still offer it in a wide version. Kind of confusing!
Drew

Postby J M » Wed 19 May, 2021 7:47 pm

Has anyone had any luck finding a stockist for the older salomon XA Pros?
Only those who live on the edge can see the view
J M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Previous

Return to Ultralight backpacking