Tarptent proTrail Li

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Re: Tarptent proTrail Li

Postby Ms_Mudd » Wed 17 Feb, 2021 10:45 am

Very impressive space indeed, plenty enough for this 5' dummy ;-)
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sun 14 Mar, 2021 2:22 pm

Crollsurf how goes it for your new DCF palace?
I know you used the silnylon version extensively.

Adore my Xmid, but for Summer/Spring etc 300g less in my pack the Protrail could be an interesting proposition to consider. Have only had one single wall tent though, an original TT moment. I wasn't a silnylon fan, felt slimy ;-)
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Mon 15 Mar, 2021 8:32 am

Blimey. Or should that be Cowabunga?

I pulled the trigger on a blemished Protrail Li.
I have had dealings with Henry before when I purchased an original TT Moment singlewall, without knowing me, he sent me the additional tie outs to be sewn to the long panels as they were not on the original. I have faith that his warranty on a blemished tent will be honoured so feel confident in its purchase.

Plus the exchange rate wasn't too shabby, plus I had some money that came to me that did not really exist in the first place, plus I like the idea of sleeping under a tarp in appropriate seasons but am terrified of leeches, funnel webs and even mozzies eating me alive, the Protrail is as close as I will come to sleeping under a tarp for me. Plus I had looked at XMid fly only with a bugnet bivvy, but even the lightest I could find from Borah didn't really save me enough weight to be seriously bothered with. Enough pluses to justify my extravagant purchase?!
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Mon 15 Mar, 2021 8:42 am

Ms_Mudd wrote:Blimey. Or should that be Cowabunga?

I pulled the trigger on a blemished Protrail Li.
I have had dealings with Henry before when I purchased an original TT Moment singlewall, without knowing me, he sent me the additional tie outs to be sewn to the long panels as they were not on the original. I have faith that his warranty on a blemished tent will be honoured so feel confident in its purchase.

Plus the exchange rate wasn't too shabby, plus I had some money that came to me that did not really exist in the first place, plus I like the idea of sleeping under a tarp in appropriate seasons but am terrified of leeches, funnel webs and even mozzies eating me alive, the Protrail is as close as I will come to sleeping under a tarp for me. Plus I had looked at XMid fly only with a bugnet bivvy, but even the lightest I could find from Borah didn't really save me enough weight to be seriously bothered with. Enough pluses to justify my extravagant purchase?!

Good on you Muddy! You accidental (I don't quite believe it tho') ultralighter you!
I think you made an excellent choice! As to how you managed to conjure up money that didn't really exist in the first place -whack-o I'm speechle

Oh ......and Cowabunga .......and I'm throwing you a positive 'shaka' too!
Looking forward to a pic.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Ms_Mudd » Mon 15 Mar, 2021 8:55 am

Lamont wrote:
Ms_Mudd wrote:

Good on you Muddy! You accidental (I don't quite believe it tho') ultralighter you!

It must be the influence of the company I keep around here. Accidental UL'er, now definitely turning intentional :lol:

Shaka shaka!
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby crollsurf » Sat 20 Mar, 2021 9:23 am

Congratulations fellow Protrailer :) I haven't had a chance to use mine much lately but I reckon the Chinese build quality is as good as before. The DCF and other little updates I like, especially having no morning sag. Some people don't like the front entry but it really isn't hard to get into and you'll love the extra space around your head. Not just for reading and doing stuff, there's less chance of condensation from your breath and you can see the stars at night. In fact the DCF is so translucent you can almost see the stars through the material, definitely the moon.

I'm the same as you Muddy with Tarps, getting bitten at night and not knowing what it was, isn't what I call fun. My tarp, net and ground sheet weighed ~80g less than the Protrail but the faffing around to set it up and getting everything right is a pain. Protrail is simple easy, no worries and way more comfortable.

I did sell off some old tents and stuff too to justify the purchase. Unless it rips apart or something, this may well be my last hiking tent. I'll look after it and patch it, sew it, whatever.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Franco » Sat 20 Mar, 2021 12:53 pm

The company that makes the DCF and some silnylon TT tents also makes tents for several of the best known brands .
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sat 20 Mar, 2021 7:51 pm

Thanks for the reply, Crollsurf and Franco.

Glad you are liking yours Crolly. Thank you for welcoming me to the Protrail Li club!

The only bit of dcf I own at the moment is a wee stuff sack for my electronics. I look forward to seeing how it goes in a shelter.
Do you find you can mostly just shake the moisture off in the mornings before take down, or do you need to do more of a dedicated wipe? With my Xmid if raining on pack up, I always take out my inner, dry the floor a bit and pack it separately, imagine single wall wet weather camping will take a bit more skill and finesse.

I look forward to moongazing from the comfort of my sleeping bag, I can only imagine the whole sleeping experience inside will feel very roomy and non restrictive. I hope it works out that in good weather I can leave the front and rear undone too.

Cannot wait for it to arrive, am extremely time poor until the end of the month, but can manage an overnighter in my front yard at least.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby crollsurf » Sun 21 Mar, 2021 10:59 am

Ms_Mudd wrote:Do you find you can mostly just shake the moisture off in the mornings before take down, or do you need to do more of a dedicated wipe?

Believe it or not, the 4 times I've used the new Li, I've had zero condensation! (due to weather and location) But from my experience with the old Protrail: If you setup the tent from the foot end first and let the front blow out, the front is facing away from the wind and rain. So even when its raining, I'll sleep with the front open. I can only think of a single occasion I've slept with the door closed in my old Protrail (50+ nights) and that was because the front ended up facing into the wind and rain... and the condensation was bad.

The Protrail Li has a zippered door which provides more ventilation control, meaning you should be able to find a better balance between weather protection and condensation.

Still, even with the front open, you do get some condensation most mornings, I wipe down the inside, then give it a good shake when packing it away. I also fold and roll, so the bottom of the floor is on the outside. Sometimes I'll pull it out at lunch to dry out but I normally don't bother. :)
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ms_Mudd » Thu 25 Mar, 2021 8:14 am

Thanks for the reply Crollsurf. I suspect moisture management will be another learning curve for me, I did ok with my single wall TT Moment, I just didn't use it a whole heap as I didn't like the tent being so close to my face, it made me feel claustrophobic.

I am nail biting at the moment, it cleared customs in Sydney and then went to Melbourne (?!!!) and hasn't been scanned since. I live in the Hunter Valley, so it should not have gone for a jaunt interstate.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Fri 02 Apr, 2021 4:56 pm

After taking 7 days to go from Sydney to Newcastle sorting centres, my Protrail finally arrived. Am sitting in it now in my front yard.

Initial impressions- came out to 500g neat with supplied stakes, repair tape and printed instructions.

Pitch was eassssy. Its a bit breezy but got it up fine. Think getting bath tub floor just so will the me some more practice, but definitely a good pitch straight up.
Was worried vestibule would feel cramped after being used to the amazing space in the xmid, but it feels roomy and I can easily sit up and cook and suspect I will come to relish laying on my belly cooking and drinking my morning brew. It is one of my life's great joys (not exaggerating here!) to have coffee/brekky in bed while out walking.
It is so light and airy and I have acres of room in it. 5ft 1, size 8-10 female for reference.

Can't wait to spend some time with it on some adventures and see how it is to live with on a day to day basis.
Attachments
20210402_172609.jpg
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: Tarptent proTrail Li1

Postby Watertank » Fri 02 Apr, 2021 5:00 pm

Looking forward reading about your adventures. I know the delight that comes from being in a new tent, or any tent, and it doesn’t matter if it is pitched in the yard! Enjoy
Watertank
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Fri 02 Apr, 2021 5:47 pm

Thanks Watertank!
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby crollsurf » Mon 05 Apr, 2021 3:04 pm

Woohoo Muddy. You're going to love it once you get used to it. A few things I've learnt:
Leave the back storm flaps open as much as possible to reduce condensation, same with the front.
Once setup properly and your using an adjustable front pole, you can angle the pole off to the right to make getting in and out easier. You can reset when you retire at night or just leave as is if the weather is fine.
I carry an extra peg and always guy out the front peak
I also carry 2 extra pegs for the other side tie outs incase it's windy or the site isn't ideal.
While folding/rolling tearing down your tent, put the bag in your pocket so it doesn't blow away.

I leave very little out in the vestibule, cooking, water, maybe shoes, sometimes my pack. If you're going to cook in there, you might want to have a sharp knife at hand, so if things go pear shaped, you can escape through the back of the tent :lol: :lol:
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ms_Mudd » Tue 27 Apr, 2021 12:17 pm

First night in the protrail li.
I am a bit time poor this week, so after doing everything I needed to on my day off and slipping dinner in the oven, I nicked off, walked up a hill and set up in time to catch the sunset over the Barrington Tops. It was a full moon and it was very pretty to see it through the sheer protrail.

It was a cool, but clear night with only a slight breeze. I left both foot and head open, although I think next time will partially close the front as my shoes and gaiters were pretty dewy this morn.
A few drops of condensation on my sleeping bag this morning once I started rustling around, but all in all pretty dry inside.

I was also using new poles so struggled a bit to get the foot end pole at the right height. I also had a bit of trouble getting one side of the bathtub floor to not be so flat, but I think it was the slight slope and the fact my trekking pole was moved to the other side at the entrance.

All in all pretty happy. I don't think I would want consecutive days of rain with it, as I am used to having a bit more space to sit up and faff around in the Xmid, but for an overnighter or mostly dry weathered multi day trip it should do nicely.
Attachments
20210426_165601.jpg
20210427_064932.jpg
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Franco » Wed 28 Apr, 2021 8:27 am

To get the bathtub up a bit higher you may need to pull in the tie-outs that connect the corners to the fly. However a really taut floor , in my book, is not a good thing because it is much easier to puncture than a lose one.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ms_Mudd » Wed 28 Apr, 2021 2:38 pm

Cheers Franco.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby crollsurf » Thu 29 Apr, 2021 5:11 pm

Anyone thinking of getting this tent, get the back pole as well. BD Alpine corks collapse to the right size, other poles, maybe not but for a few extra grams, it will make setting up a whole lot easier with the back pole.

Tensioning the bathtub is always an afterthought for me. Be good to remember to losen when tearing down, but I never remember.

I once had a Dacron Holifill bag that used to do that, droplets on the outside in the morning. Pretty cool to be able to brush off the moisture in the morning knowing your bag is mainly dry and good to go another night.

Muddy I would perservier with keeping the back storm flaps and front open. For sure close when you have to but when open, its maybe the best single wall tent re condensation, equal to a tarp.

I'd be OK with it hunkered down for a day or two but I'm not one of those people. I'll either bail or just keep walking.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ms_Mudd » Thu 29 Apr, 2021 9:36 pm

My rear pole was a pain, it was my pole rather than the tent itself.
I own komperdell poles which are my clunky old preferred faithfuls, they were perfect length when at their shortest when I set it up at home.
The other poles I own are fixed length Black Diamond Carbon Distance Z, I use them when I am flying somewhere, using public transport or unlikely to be using poles a lot as they pack away nicely and weigh nothing. They won't work for the protrail though given they fold and can't be shortened, so I bought a set of poles that sit in the middle of the two I own, Fizan Compact 4 sections. The idea being they will work for the protrail and are lighter and far more compact than the komperdells. I am not overly enamoured with them though, made getting the protrail right a bit of a pain, as I had to fiddle to get the length right aaaand they took forever to get right for actual use and packaway due to the 4 sections. The Fizans may grow on me. Maybe.

I think I will end up getting a rear pole for the protrail for those times I want to take my BD poles -I have a carbon zpacks pole jack to make the fixed length pole long enough for the front.

There wasn't actually that much condensation on my bag in the morning, a couple of drops at most. I took the pic more for a birdseye view out the foot panel, I hadn't realised there was that many drops shown in it, what I had done prior to that pic was shake the crap out of the tent panels as I was curious to see how it would shed water- which it did great, it dried ridiculously fast after there was some sun. An inadvertent test for the One Planet Nitrous sleeping bag though, clearly the fabric outer is a little water resistant ;-)

I read for a few hours very comfortably in the protrail, felt very roomy inside laying on my mat. I had a solid nights sleep too.

Pretty stoked with it.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Zapruda » Fri 30 Apr, 2021 8:18 am

I have one on coming next week. I'm looking forward to trying it out. Crolly helped persuade me :)

I've always been a big fan of Tarptent. The Notch is easily one of the best tents I have ever used. Hopefully I'll feel the same way about the ProTrail.

@ms_mudd, Those droplets look like the ones that form on my bag on those rare occasions when the nights go from warm to cold in a short amount of time. They don't fall from the roof of the tent. Was there moisture anywhere on the tent floor?
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Franco » Fri 30 Apr, 2021 9:35 am

It should be pretty easy to make a rear pole out of a spare tent pole one might have around. I use a Dremel to cut the sections to the right length but before that a hacksaw did an OK job. Those poles can be sometime found for little money in the spare part bin or shops might have one at the back.. (orphan or with a broken section or two)
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Dexter » Fri 30 Apr, 2021 10:11 am

Ms_Mudd wrote:I don't think I would want consecutive days of rain with it, as I am used to having a bit more space to sit up and faff around in the Xmid, but for an overnighter or mostly dry weathered multi day trip it should do nicely.

This was part of the reason I went for a Stratospire Li. I wouldn't call myself an ultralight kinda guy. Maybe 'somewhatlight'. So I was happier to take the weight penalty to have the extra space / large vestibules. I was using a bivy style one person tent before which you couldn't think about sitting up, and had no vestibules which I find super valuable for wet weather. But perhaps I'm just too much of a sook :D I have sometimes wondered if I should have gone the single walled lighter Protrail. Who knows, I might end up with both. Strat perhaps for longer adventures, and the Protrail for overnighters.
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Fri 30 Apr, 2021 11:03 am

Zapruda wrote:
@ms_mudd, Those droplets look like the ones that form on my bag on those rare occasions when the nights go from warm to cold in a short amount of time. They don't fall from the roof of the tent. Was there moisture anywhere on the tent floor?

The tent floor was as dry as dry can be. The droplets were not there in such number until I did my over-vigorous shaking of the walls. I had wiped down the inner above my head before going gangbusters on my experimental shaking. Your theory could be also be partly responsible too, it had been a lovely 21C in the day and down to 2c overnight.

How exciting about your purchase! I bet you will love it. I can't believe how little it weighs for how big it is inside. We should hold an Protrail Li annual convention and pitch them all together- Crolly, you and I are all in NSW aren't we?! :D

Dexter wrote:
Ms_Mudd wrote:I don't think I would want consecutive days of rain with it, as I am used to having a bit more space to sit up and faff around in the Xmid, but for an overnighter or mostly dry weathered multi day trip it should do nicely.

This was part of the reason I went for a Stratospire Li. I wouldn't call myself an ultralight kinda guy. Maybe 'somewhatlight'. So I was happier to take the weight penalty to have the extra space / large vestibules. I was using a bivy style one person tent before which you couldn't think about sitting up, and had no vestibules which I find super valuable for wet weather. But perhaps I'm just too much of a sook :D I have sometimes wondered if I should have gone the single walled lighter Protrail. Who knows, I might end up with both. Strat perhaps for longer adventures, and the Protrail for overnighters.

I reckon a Protrail would do nicely for you to compliment your Stratospire. I am quite the enabler.
I have an Xmid 1p which I am really a fan of and I think if the forecast is looking dicey for days on end or snowy, then I will go ahead and pack the XMid. Anything else I think will see the Protrail going in the pack as first choice- it really is a huge weight savings and a very unclaustrophobic tent to be in. My XMid kinda fills the same place in my gear as your Strat does, I know I can count on it and sprawl out if stuck inside it for long afternoons/evenings.

@Franco, I think I will follow your suggestion and do a bit of a diy attempt on the rear pole. The protrail really is the most simple pitch in the world. Can't get much easier than 4 pegs and voila! I was annoyed at my Fizan poles for messing up what would have been a quick set up that left me feeling amazing, capable and rather chuffed with myself otherwise :wink: :lol:
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Franco » Fri 30 Apr, 2021 11:32 am

The Moment is simpler, just two pegs.
Do you have one of those ?
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ms_Mudd » Fri 30 Apr, 2021 11:48 am

I did indeed have a TT Moment, Franco. It was one of the older ones, single skin.
It was simple to pitch,it was a nice tent.
For me, if I were nitpicking I didn't like how close the tent was to my face or that the struts meant I had to be a bit more aware of how/where in my pack it went. I did see a double wall one for sale on market place though recently and was tempted to revisit my Monent ownership, but didn't really have a need for it. I like the Protrail to "be in" much better.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Dexter » Fri 30 Apr, 2021 12:33 pm

Ms_Mudd wrote:I reckon a Protrail would do nicely for you to compliment your Stratospire. I am quite the enabler.
I have an Xmid 1p which I am really a fan of and I think if the forecast is looking dicey for days on end or snowy, then I will go ahead and pack the XMid. Anything else I think will see the Protrail going in the pack as first choice- it really is a huge weight savings and a very unclaustrophobic tent to be in. My XMid kinda fills the same place in my gear as your Strat does, I know I can count on it and sprawl out if stuck inside it for long afternoons/evenings.

Definitely something to think about! Just when I thought 4 tents were enough :/

But that's it, you need space when you have nowhere to go but your tent for the afternoon / evening. The old one person I had, my options were basically stand in the rain or go to sleep :lol:
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Franco » Sat 01 May, 2021 7:55 am

If you have 4 tents you might have one per season but what about the "in-between" season periods ?
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wildwanderer » Sat 01 May, 2021 8:32 am

How is the pitch in rough, uneven and sloping sites?
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sat 01 May, 2021 2:53 pm

Franco wrote:If you have 4 tents you might have one per season but what about the "in-between" season periods ?

Well yes, exactly!
Dexter, you simply must get another tent, a Protrail Li.

Clearly my two tent policy at the moment is not enough. Although I do have a 3rd , a BD Megalight 'mid for when I am out with the kids, but that doesn't count as its not strictly speaking for my own regular use.

Sorry Wildwanderer, no intel from me re pitching the Protrail on uneven surfaces as my grassy hill the other night or my initial pitch on the front lawn were not technically challenging. Hopefully Crollsurf while chime in.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Warin » Sat 01 May, 2021 4:15 pm

Franco wrote:If you have 4 tents you might have one per season but what about the "in-between" season periods ?

How many seasons you have depends on how fine you want to go...

Darwin can be said to have 2 seasons; wet & dry. Some add in the 'suicide season' just before the wet where humidity gets to the recent arrivals

Kakadu's Aboriginal owners recognise six different seasons. I like the 'knock 'em down season' - clear air for photos.
There are three major seasons on the Tiwi Islands: Kumunupunari, the dry season; Tiyari, the build-up season; and Jamutakari, the wet season. Within the three main seasons there are 13 overlapping minor seasons.

Some may like to have different sleeping bags and backpacks to go with the seasons too.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

PreviousNext

Return to Ultralight backpacking