Bonfus Duos tent

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Bonfus Duos tent

Postby Petew » Tue 21 Jul, 2020 10:59 am

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has any firsthand experience of this (rather obscure) tent?

Very similar to a zpacks duplex, a little heavier, slightly different dimensions, more features such as vents and extra tie outs.

Norwegian company but made in Mexico.

I emailed them directly, prices shipped to Aus same as zpacks, cheaper than listed on their website (no EU VAT).

https://bonfus.com/wp-content/uploads/2 ... geland.jpg

Any thoughts or experience with this brand? Looks like a bit more attention to detail and better finish than zpacks but who knows?
Petew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Re: Bonfus Duos tent

Postby Lamont » Tue 21 Jul, 2020 11:12 am

There has been some discussion on Reddit Ultralight. Do a search including 'reddit Ul' in the search. They seem fine by all accounts I read. I thought they were made in Italy and that production was stalled due to the big C? The finish on my Zpacks stuff is excellent by the way. What was the price delivered?
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Franco » Tue 21 Jul, 2020 11:34 am

If you read the recent threads on Reddit about Zpacks you might get a different idea...
https://www.reddit.com/r/Ultralight/com ... g_quality/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Ultralight/com ... ce_lately/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Ultralight/com ... the_field/

maybe take a look at the Tarptent Stratospire LI if you use trekking poles or the Double Rainbow Li if you don't.
Every report I have seen from folk that are familiar with Zpacks comment that the TT are better finished.
(I am very close to Tarptent but not paid by them...)

From Bonfus
Bonfus started in early 2019 selling ultralight products in Norway, and has at the end of 2019 expanded to the EU thanks to family and friends that run the EU-branch of Bonfus from Monza, Italy. All our gear is developed and tested in Norway and sewn directly by us in Mexico, with lots of love!
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Petew » Tue 21 Jul, 2020 11:47 am

Lamont wrote:There has been some discussion on Reddit Ultralight. Do a search including 'reddit Ul' in the search. They seem fine by all accounts I read. I thought they were made in Italy and that production was stalled due to the big C? The finish on my Zpacks stuff is excellent by the way. What was the price delivered?

Made in Mexico.

Not sure about the postage but I imagine it to be less than the US. I'll ask them.

The price quoted to me directly was US$599 in the white DCF and US$629 in Camo.

If Tarptent made a version of this style of tent I'd buy it (no brainer) but they don't unfortunately.

I have some Zpacks stuff that is very well made but a mate has a Duplex and I was surprised by the finish quality. It was solidly built but the mesh around the zipper looked like it had been cut by a drunken maniac with a machete... No structural problems, just an ugly finish. Doesn't necessarily put me off buying one but I'd expect a better finish on a 1K 3 season tent...
Petew

Postby Lamont » Tue 21 Jul, 2020 12:00 pm

Franco wrote:If you read the recent threads on Reddit about Zpacks you might get a different idea...

maybe take a look at the Tarptent Stratospire LI if you use trekking poles or the Double Rainbow Li if you don't.
Every report I have seen from folk that are familiar with Zpacks comment that the TT are better finished.

From Bonfus
Bonfus started in early 2019 selling ultralight products in Norway, and has at the end of 2019 expanded to the EU thanks to family and friends that run the EU-branch of Bonfus from Monza, Italy. All our gear is developed and tested in Norway and sewn directly by us in Mexico, with lots of love!

I'm not sure how I "might get a different idea" if that comment is in reference to mine.
I stated mine was fine-I would be lying to say anything else.
Perhaps you meant 'things have changed', 'there are varying reports of late' etc.
I have no financial, nor any other interest in Zpacks/Tarptent nor any tent maker.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Tue 21 Jul, 2020 12:07 pm

Petew wrote:
Lamont wrote:There has been some discussion on Reddit Ultralight. Do a search including 'reddit Ul' in the search. They seem fine by all accounts I read. I thought they were made in Italy and that production was stalled due to the big C? The finish on my Zpacks stuff is excellent by the way. What was the price delivered?

Made in Mexico.

Not sure about the postage but I imagine it to be less than the US. I'll ask them.

The price quoted to me directly was US$599 in the white DCF and US$629 in Camo.

If Tarptent made a version of this style of tent I'd buy it (no brainer) but they don't unfortunately.

I have some Zpacks stuff that is very well made but a mate has a Duplex and I was surprised by the finish quality. It was solidly built but the mesh around the zipper looked like it had been cut by a drunken maniac with a machete... No structural problems, just an ugly finish. Doesn't necessarily put me off buying one but I'd expect a better finish on a 1K 3 season tent...

Mexico. Ole.
Have you seen any reference to the quality of it?
So are you thinking of having a crack at that price Pete?
Has more guy out points than the Zpack ones I think.
Strange aspect on the video where the bloke is sitting inside the tent and the boundary mesh is angled down into the tent-water from condensation will run along it into the tent.
Perhaps he had it set up wrong-too high?
Good hunting.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Petew » Tue 21 Jul, 2020 12:15 pm

Hi Lamont,

Yeah, I noticed that too with the mesh.

They look well made but who knows. I'm definitely considering it as an option. The guy from Bonfus certainly seems helpful and reasonably quick to reply.
Petew

Postby Franco » Tue 21 Jul, 2020 12:25 pm

Lamont wrote:
Franco wrote:If you read the recent threads on Reddit about Zpacks you might get a different idea...

From Bonfus

I'm not sure how I "might get a different idea" if that comment is in reference to mine.
I stated mine was fine-I would be lying to say anything else.
Perhaps you meant 'things have changed', 'there are varying reports of late' etc.
I have no financial, nor any other interest in Zpacks/Tarptent nor any tent maker.

Things have changed ?
no , not really. Of course many have had a satisfactory shelter but right at the start I seam sealed a couple of them and the stitching was all over the place , one had a line of needle holes going nowhere.
For several year Zpacks had the market more or less to themselves (for those that don't like pyramid shelters) howver the design and finish was never very good.
What is happening now is that more and more are seeing tents from other manufacturers that are also light but simply better made.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Petew » Tue 21 Jul, 2020 12:38 pm

I found another video on YouTube. The mesh definitely slopes downwards to the bathtub floor from the outer. Not good. I'll ask Bonfus guy about that as well.
Petew

Postby Lamont » Tue 21 Jul, 2020 12:52 pm

Petew wrote:Hi Lamont,

Yeah, I noticed that too with the mesh.

They look well made but who knows. I'm definitely considering it as an option. The guy from Bonfus certainly seems helpful and reasonably quick to reply.

Maybe you could convince them to sell you tent in order to give some people in this part of the world a look. Do a Don Corleone and make them an offer they can't refuse. Did you do the search I suggested? I had a quick look-seemed a few references there on the Reddit. Go the Camo?
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Petew » Tue 21 Jul, 2020 1:12 pm

Yeas, the Camo! I'm not a Camo guy usually but I'm drawn to it.

I wish Tarptent would venture into Camo land. Still strongly considering the double rainbow Li too.

I have emailed Bonfus chap about shipping cost and sloping mesh. I'll post his reply once I hear back from him. He's trekking about in Europe somewhere so it might be a few days.

Pete
Petew

Postby Petew » Wed 22 Jul, 2020 9:02 am

In other disappointing news, Zpacks is no longer offering the duplex in Camo.
Petew

Postby Petew » Thu 23 Jul, 2020 6:36 am

I heard back from Niccolo at Bonfus.

The Camo version (USD$629) will cost USD$49 to ship to Aus so USD$678 landed.

He seemed to think that the slope of the mesh at 30 degrees was optimal for floor positioning and bathtub wall height. He said that even in bad condensation conditions very little water would make its way to the floor.

Pluses for me on this tent is it seems to have a better finish and better (slightly) ventilation than the duplex plus more tie out points.

I am tempted by this tent. It's available in Camo (duplex no longer) but the tie outs are only available in white.

I am now also considering the Stratosphere Li. A little heavier but bigger vestibules, zipped doors and a much more storm proof design.

I'd probably get it with a solid inner if I went down that path.

Franco, have you had a play with the stratosphere Li? Any thoughts?

Pete
Petew

Postby Franco » Thu 23 Jul, 2020 8:28 am

I just had a play with one but not used it. It took me a bit longer to set it up than the sil version but I can do the sil in less than 2 minutes so no big deal.
It is smaller than the sil one but still can take one wide plus a std mat so not as large floor as the DR Li but a bit larger than some other doubles.
In my mind the shape is a lot more wind resistant than most other somewhat similar designs(smaller panels , more geodesic than boxy...)
ssli_topdown-495x400.jpg
ssli_topdown-495x400.jpg (195.09 KiB) Viewed 27034 times
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Petew » Thu 23 Jul, 2020 8:47 am

Thanks Franco.

What type of attachment does the inner use at floor level? The reason I'm asking is that (if I go for the stratospire) I'd like to make a bathtub floor for it as an option for fly only pitches.
Petew

Postby Franco » Thu 23 Jul, 2020 9:47 am

It attaches to the fly via a grosgrain ribbon and mitten hook.
You can just see it in this photo
ssli-pitchloc.jpg
Last edited by Franco on Thu 23 Jul, 2020 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Petew » Thu 23 Jul, 2020 9:53 am

Cool, thanks. Grosgrain with a mitten hook? There is a lot to think about here.
Petew

Postby Lamont » Thu 23 Jul, 2020 12:50 pm

Petew wrote:I heard back from Niccolo at Bonfus.

The Camo version (USD$629) will cost USD$49 to ship to Aus so USD$678 landed.

He seemed to think that the slope of the mesh at 30 degrees was optimal for floor positioning and bathtub wall height. He said that even in bad condensation conditions very little water would make its way to the floor.
Pete

Thanks for the answers. :).
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Petew » Tue 04 Aug, 2020 5:45 pm

Well, after a lot of justifying stuff to myself, I ordered one today in Camo(the Duos). Should be about five weeks.

I'll stick up a first impressions review once I've got it and spent a night in it.
Petew

Postby Petew » Fri 11 Sep, 2020 12:33 pm

The Duos has arrived, taking it out this Sunday night for a test drive. Yay!
Petew

Postby Petew » Mon 14 Sep, 2020 4:28 pm

Too the Duos out for its maiden voyage to Canoe creek on the Colo last night. Very happy. Minimal condensation and set up well on pure sand.
Attachments
rps20200914_161824_603.jpg
rps20200914_161910_832.jpg
rps20200914_162011.jpg
rps20200914_162054.jpg
Petew

Postby Lamont » Mon 14 Sep, 2020 4:41 pm

:shock: :D
Nice. Seems to be well down to the ground-what did you have your sticks set at?
Are you happy that it has the qualities you were after?
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Petew » Mon 14 Sep, 2020 5:15 pm

I have 130cm poles. Super soft sand so I had to bury a flat Rock under each of them or it would have been 50cm. I'm guessing it worked out at about 120 - 125 cm. Had to use 2 ft long sticks for the tie outs. Groundhogs just didn't work. I'm pretty happy with it. Plus Camo!
Petew

Postby Lamont » Mon 14 Sep, 2020 5:46 pm

:D
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Zapruda » Mon 14 Sep, 2020 7:35 pm

Beautiful looking tent Pete. I’m glad it finally arrived.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Return to Ultralight backpacking