Seeking some belter Nylon (mainly) socks-non wool.

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Seeking some belter Nylon (mainly) socks-non wool.

Postby Lamont » Fri 31 Jul, 2020 12:36 pm

I have been sitting on my wool socks and stretching them out for a while :D .
Given how hard it is to get exactly what I want and the high cost (Zapruda can I put in an order for next year when you are in the US?) of the socks I use- I have a few pairs to get by so DON"T want wool recommendations please. I have enough.

What I'm after are some belter socks like these below. Very light to avoid overheating, as these do.
https://www.target.com.au/p/maxx-3-pack ... i/60882103
have belted six pairs of these over many hundreds of ks and like them. But down to my last two pairs.
I use them for fast day walking/slow running-moving as fast as my tired old legs will go as exercise.
Thought I would try and see if there is something else out there before I buy another job lot.
Anyone found some good high nylon preferably and some poly is ok (very low or much better no cotton) percentage socks?
Not Amazon.
Being synthetic they are usually a few (two?) pairs for $10 sort of thing.
Mens or womens -not fussed as long as they work.
Some padding under the heel and ball of the foot and fine mesh on the top of the foot would be nice as well (as are the ones above), but not completely necessary.
Cheers
G
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Re: Seeking some belter Nylon (mainly) socks-non wool.

Postby Mark F » Fri 31 Jul, 2020 6:31 pm

Apart from swearing by Darn Tuff which I used to get through Sock Addict but now a bit expensive I have recently purchased these from Decathlon. https://decathlon.com.au/products/forclaz-500-adult-hiking-mid-socks-2-pack-130048? They largely fit your requirements, have held up well, fit is ok but it is relatively early days. I tend to be hard on wool or cotton socks - the heels go very quickly and have often used thin nylon business socks (Big W, KMart etc) which wore well but these seem hard to get for some reason.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Lamont » Fri 31 Jul, 2020 6:54 pm

Mark F wrote:...and have often used thin nylon business socks (Big W, KMart etc) which wore well but these seem hard to get for some reason.

Thanks Mark. Ha ha It's my DT miltary (PT) ones I'm saving! Why have the nylon business ones all gone? I agree they wear very well but you cannot get them any more for love nor money. Used to use them a lot. I'd recommend the Maxx ones to you if you haven't tried them. They're not too bad. If I come across any business ones I'll put them up.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Bill P » Tue 04 Aug, 2020 11:04 pm

Im a fan of the Target Coolmax socks. Ive never felt i got reasonable mileage out of the $30 per pair bushwalking shop socks. Ive used wigwam and darn tough. The ones I now use are https://www.target.com.au/p/maxx-3-pack ... s/59970194.
Bill P
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Warin » Thu 06 Aug, 2020 7:01 pm

Aldi have some 'Fitness Socks' polyester/cotton/nylon/elastane/rubber @ $6 for 3 ...
Special buy on Sat 15th Aug...

I have no idea what they are like. Price is good.

https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys/special-buys-sat-15-august/saturday-detail-wk33/ps/p/adults-fitness-socks-3pk-4/
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby flingebunt » Sat 08 Aug, 2020 7:00 pm

I can't find the exact style of socks any more, but I have some great socks from Bonds. I like them, because they are cheap, lots of padding on the heel and front of foot (more than most equivalent socks I have seen), but the rest of the material is very thin. So thin in fact that they are no good in even cool weather for keeping my feet warm. But very comfortable for hiking in. I probably bought them from Big W.
flingebunt
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Return to Ultralight backpacking