What's in my pack: 6.45kg Winter base weight and how i pack

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

What's in my pack: 6.45kg Winter base weight and how i pack

Postby KateRock » Wed 26 Aug, 2020 10:53 am

I've learnt a lot over the years from hiking with others and watching how they do things and slowly changing what I take and how I pack. I decided to make a video of whats in my pack and the how that changes when I go for up to 7 days. This equipment is for a winter hike. I have a base weight to 6.45kg, in summer my base weight can be as low as 4.01kg as I can use more lightweight sleeping gear.

I would love to hear what other things you add to your pack.

check out my video here: https://youtu.be/dAXaPafZRZg

For a full rundown of what is in my pack including details about weight check out my website http://www.australianhiking.com/gear
KateRock
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: What's in my pack: 6.45kg Winter base weight and how i p

Postby crollsurf » Wed 26 Aug, 2020 11:33 am

That's a nice clean website Kate, I like it a lot and the domain name is a good one too.
About the only things I'd add is a Buff and a sit pad.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Re: What's in my pack: 6.45kg Winter base weight and how i p

Postby Zapruda » Wed 26 Aug, 2020 1:37 pm

Mod note: Just a reminder that we appreciate active participation on this forum. Self promotion of blogs and YouTube channels is fine as long as you post more than just links to your videos. Thanks.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Return to Ultralight backpacking