Best dcf tent for 1plus gear inside

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Best dcf tent for 1plus gear inside

Postby Robi » Tue 15 Sep, 2020 5:33 pm

Hi guys, I have a nemo hornet 2p which I love to use as a solo hiker, except when it is wet, as it is heavy and slimy. I am not loving Victorian stage 4 lockdown so fingers crossed I will be doing the Overland next year and many more multiday hikes so I am considering investing in a dcf tent. It is especially hard not being able to see them. I am torn between the Zpacks duplex and Tarptent stratosphere li or Notch li. I am 173cm. Does anyone know if there is enough room in the notch li to fit yourself and your pack inside? I prefer to have some spread out room. How hard is the stratosphire li to set up? Is the larger footprint a pain? Will it be manageable on tent platforms, bumpy ground? Alternatively are the simplicity, weight and flex options of the duplex worth dealing with potential condensation issues? Also I like being able to hang stuff up to air overnight or my luci from the roof. Is there a way to do this inside the duplex at all and if so that doesn’t cause drips etc? Thanks.
Robi
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Best dcf tent for 1plus gear inside

Postby Franco » Wed 16 Sep, 2020 8:04 am

If you are using a 25"x77" mat inside the Notch Li you will not have any space left , apart from right in the middle and one end for small bits .
Given your size, a tiny bit taller than me, you don't need a long mat so you could have some roome at one end and a bit in the middle but not much, not for a semi full pack but there is plenty of room for that in either vestibules. (some people hang the pack on the trekking pole so that it does not touch the ground)
The yellow rectangular shape is a 20"x72" mat
NotchLidimensions_1024.jpg

Take a look at the "usable volume" link on the product page. Each product has one of those 3D clips.

The SS Li can be difficult to set up , easy for me and others but not for some. I strongly suggest to watch carefuly the standard TT set up and then mine and see which one will work for you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyQT9JH ... ncoDarioli
(from previous comments, those that get my set up don't get the TT and the converse is true too)
If you plan to use platforms a lot or stony ground and tent set ups is not your strong point, take a look at the Double Rainbow Li.
I think it's a much better design than some...
dr_li_open_door.jpg
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Wed 16 Sep, 2020 8:06 am

Coincidentally, there's a Strat Li just been listed in Market Place, although I have first dibs on the poles ...
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Petew » Wed 16 Sep, 2020 8:10 am

Have a look at the Bonfus tents too. I just got a Duos and I'm pretty happy with it. Similar to a Duplex, bit more internal space, more guy out points and can be hunkered down. Also won't have issues with the floor peeking out from under the fly if on a slope.

You also can't go wrong with a tarptent. I almost went for the Double Rainbow Li but I already have the standard one and wanted something a little roomier.
Petew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Turfa » Wed 16 Sep, 2020 9:10 am

I love my Notch Li, but there is not a lot of room left inside when I am in it (175cm tall). There is some space at the end for my pack and stove, food bag etc. but it is pretty snug.

There is heaps of room in the vestibules though.
Turfa
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby coimon » Wed 16 Sep, 2020 9:11 am

I've got a Notch Li and Stratospire Li.

Agree with Franco that you won't fit a full pack inside the Notch with you and your sleeping setup. The Stratospire is ideal for this in my experience.

The setup on the Stratospire can be hard to understand at first but once you've found the method that works for you (per Franco's post again) I found it quite easy and surprisingly versatile on uneven ground since you can pitch the fly over obstacles. For example I've pitched it with a vestibule over rocks and roots and anchored a guyline into a tree stump, on sloping ground (I built up a banknof leaves under my sleeping spot so I didn't slide), in the one pitch and had no issues.

The footprint is large (the cost of the space you get) but where that has been an issue I just peg one vestibule down flat on one side, making it considerably smaller and still giving you a full vestibule and entrance on the remaining side.

I can't speak to the Duplex other than what I've read on the net, but I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about the Notch or Stratospire.
Last edited by coimon on Wed 16 Sep, 2020 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
coimon
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby Zapruda » Wed 16 Sep, 2020 9:13 am

I own the Notch Li as well as the Double Rainbow Li.

I am 188cm and fit easily in the Notch and have huge amounts of room in the Rainbow. The vestibules in the Notch are very spacious and there is more than enough room to store your gear in them. The. Rainbow vestibules are small but the interior space is more than ample.

I owned a Zpacks duplex for a while and the double Rainbow Li absolutely beats it without question. Although, one has poles and the other doesn't so there is a difference there. some good info here - viewtopic.php?f=58&t=31077

The Notch Li is my favourite shelter. Double wall, easy to pitch, good in the wind and lots of ventilation which all make it a very versatile tent.

Yes, you can hang stuff above you on both shelters.

Also, I know they aren't DCF but its worth checking out the Drop Xmid 1p. They are great shelters - viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28132
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Lamont » Wed 16 Sep, 2020 10:04 am

On your questions on the Duplex there is plenty of room inside for one, really spacious, and as you are concerned about condensation -it is not too big an issue given it's shape and it is easy to wipe off in all the nooks and can pack it away quite dry, which you can do easily on any single wall DCF tent I would imagine.
It is quite airy when set up high. In a light wind as little as 2-3 ks cool dampish weather, I have had it basically dry inside. Rucksack and you inside would still be very roomy especially at your height. I am 1.8 m and clear of the ends easily. Very easy set up.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Robi » Wed 16 Sep, 2020 11:28 am

north-north-west wrote:Coincidentally, there's a Strat Li just been listed in Market Place, although I have first dibs on the poles ...

Just curious which market place you are referring to as I may be interested. Thanks
Robi
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Robi » Wed 16 Sep, 2020 11:42 am

Turfa wrote:I love my Notch Li, but there is not a lot of room left inside when I am in it (175cm tall). There is some space at the end for my pack and stove, food bag etc. but it is pretty snug.

There is heaps of room in the vestibules though.

Thanks. It looks like a really solid design. I am leaning toward wanting a bit more internal room as it has been pretty inconvenient with wet gear in my nemo, but double wall, such a small footprint which I have loved on my nemo and being so light are great features.
Robi
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby gayet » Wed 16 Sep, 2020 11:52 am

Robi wrote:
north-north-west wrote:Coincidentally, there's a Strat Li just been listed in Market Place, although I have first dibs on the poles ...

Just curious which market place you are referring to as I may be interested. Thanks

see https://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=31647
gayet

Postby Robi » Wed 16 Sep, 2020 11:59 am

coimon wrote:I've got a Notch Li and Stratospire Li.

Agree with Franco that you won't fit a full pack inside the Notch with you and your sleeping setup. The Stratospire is ideal for this in my experience.

The setup on the Stratospire can be hard to understand at first but once you've found the method that works for you (per Franco's post again) I found it quite easy and surprisingly versatile on uneven ground since you can pitch the fly over obstacles. For example I've pitched it with a vestibule over rocks and roots and anchored a guyline into a tree stump, on sloping ground (I built up a banknof leaves under my sleeping spot so I didn't slide), in the one pitch and had no issues.

The footprint is large (the cost of the space you get) but where that has been an issue I just peg one vestibule down flat on one side, making it considerably smaller and still giving you a full vestibule and entrance on the remaining side.

I can't speak to the Duplex other than what I've read on the net, but I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about the Notch or Stratospire.

Thanks for your comments. I am not too concerned about the setup as I figure once you have done it a few times, you’ll figure it out, except for tent platforms. Have you tried it on a tent platform? Did you use anchors or just extra guy lines? Do you need anything extra to put one vestibule flat? Are the stakes it comes with decent or better to get msr groundhog or v type stakes? Any condensation issues? Any problems with zips or other stuff. Do you like using it as a 1p for longer trips or find the weight and features of the notch are a better choice? Can it be sourced ir if need be repaired in Australia? I heard there may be a rep living in Melb? Thanks.
Robi
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Robi » Wed 16 Sep, 2020 12:02 pm

Thanks. I am sure the bindis are great, but With investing so much money, I would rather go with something that has been around for a bit longer.

quote="Petew"]Have a look at the Bonfus tents too. I just got a Duos and I'm pretty happy with it. Similar to a Duplex, bit more internal space, more guy out points and can be hunkered down. Also won't have issues with the floor peeking out from under the fly if on a slope.

You also can't go wrong with a tarptent. I almost went for the Double Rainbow Li but I already have the standard one and wanted something a little roomier.[/quote]
Robi
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Robi » Wed 16 Sep, 2020 12:09 pm

Thanks that is really helpful info. Other than Tassie, I really want to do more Alpine area backpacking (not deliberately in snow). The nemo is great for warmer weather and I will likely keep using it for long weekend summer trips, but I want my next tent to handle wet weather and more winter conditions well. So, it seems like Tarptent May have the edge with the notch, statospire or rainbow. What do you think?
Lamont wrote:On your questions on the Duplex there is plenty of room inside for one, really spacious, and as you are concerned about condensation -it is not too big an issue given it's shape and it is easy to wipe off in all the nooks and can pack it away quite dry, which you can do easily on any single wall DCF tent I would imagine.
It is quite airy when set up high. In a light wind as little as 2-3 ks cool dampish weather, I have had it basically dry inside. Rucksack and you inside would still be very roomy especially at your height. I am 1.8 m and clear of the ends easily. Very easy set up.
Robi
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby coimon » Wed 16 Sep, 2020 1:11 pm

- Have you tried it on a tent platform? Did you use anchors or just extra guy lines?

I haven't tried it on an OLT platform but I got it pitched easy enough on one in Queensland. Used some extra guyline. Can see how anchors would be good.

- Do you need anything extra to put one vestibule flat?

Nope, just your pegs.

- Are the stakes it comes with decent or better to get msr groundhog or v type stakes?

The stakes that come with it are decent, generally very well regarded. I use Groundhogs for looser soil etc myself but the stock ones are great too

- Any condensation issues?

None for me, double wall and fantastic ventilation options make it a non-issue.

- Any problems with zips or other stuff.

All the hardware has been great, no issues.

- Do you like using it as a 1p for longer trips or find the weight and features of the notch are a better choice?

'better' is subjective but yes, as 1p for longer trips, especially where you want space for gear, is a great use for the Strat. The space really improves comfort levels, especially in unfavourable weather.

- Can it be sourced ir if need be repaired in Australia? I heard there may be a rep living in Melb?

Direct purchase from Tarptent only I believe. Franco was, as I understand, previously affiliated with Tarptent so that might be what you are thinking of.
coimon
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Robi » Wed 16 Sep, 2020 1:33 pm

Thanks. All great info. Have sent you a message.
Robi
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Lamont » Wed 16 Sep, 2020 3:32 pm

Robi wrote:Thanks that is really helpful info. Other than Tassie, I really want to do more Alpine area backpacking (not deliberately in snow). The nemo is great for warmer weather and I will likely keep using it for long weekend summer trips, but I want my next tent to handle wet weather and more winter conditions well. So, it seems like Tarptent May have the edge with the notch, statospire or rainbow. What do you think?

Sorry I just tried to cover the questions you asked about the Duplex in your original post. I couldn't make a reasonable comparison of the Duplex to the others not having used them. Wouldn't mind one though. I've used mine in winter and plenty of rain without any issue is about all I can fairly say. Good hunting.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Robi » Thu 17 Sep, 2020 9:18 am

Coimon I am trying to send you a message, but keep getting site error messages. I will try again a bit later or maybe on the desktop and see if that sorts it. Thanks.
Robi
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby north-north-west » Thu 17 Sep, 2020 10:17 am

Robi wrote:Coimon I am trying to send you a message, but keep getting site error messages. I will try again a bit later or maybe on the desktop and see if that sorts it. Thanks.

You can't send PMs here until you've made a certain number of posts. best to ask coimon to PM you ((yes, you can receive them).
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Robi » Thu 17 Sep, 2020 1:07 pm

Thanks. I had some issues with the site on my phone, but it seems fine on the laptop. No idea why?
Robi
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby jjoz58 » Fri 18 Sep, 2020 9:48 pm

I have used the Duplex over 220+ nights, including the AT, and the SS Li for about 12 nights so far. The duplex still has no damage except on the net where an animal tried to chew through. Condensation seems less of a issue with the Li but I never found it a problem with the duplex anyway. Seems to be more room in the LI, ventilation is better, vestibules are huge, and best of all you can set up just the inner to enjoy those great night skies while being protected from insects. I like the magnetic closures better than the duplex toggles but time will tell with them. Still experimenting with the setup in various ways and to be quite honest if I had waited a few months I would have bought the Rainbow Li as my daughter used the basic model on the PCT last year, loved it and the few times I used it I found it great. Far too many options out there, and the competition can only inspire Zpacks to innovate and do better because they have been resting on their laurels too long.
JJ
jjoz58
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Franco » Sun 20 Sep, 2020 8:48 pm

"Far too many options out there, and the competition can only inspire Zpacks to innovate and do better because they have been resting on their laurels too long."
I am not too sure about Joe's input into ZPacks these days but lets face it, the atraction there was the light weight not the design.
Foster was the best lager... till you tried something else.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Robi » Sun 20 Sep, 2020 10:55 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Would love to see a real head to head between the duplex and stratosphire li. Weight isn’t everything and I find it hard to stomach the idea of an expensive tent having a door that drops on the floor and if you open it far enough to get in, so do mosquitos or you risk damaging the zip. There may be more features in the strarosphire to fail, but it stands out from a design and function standpoint. Two of my friends have gone with duplex. I don’t think much of fosters so dare to be different. I hope it pays off.
Robi
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby north-north-west » Mon 21 Sep, 2020 8:09 am

Robi wrote: I don’t think much of fosters ...

Who does?
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Franco » Mon 21 Sep, 2020 9:05 am

When I arrived in NZ , late 70s, people drunk , with their restaurant meal , Barossa Pearl and Montana Cold Duck. i used to do the wine orders for one hotel I worked for.
I think that the taste has changed a bit since then.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Robi » Wed 23 Sep, 2020 11:33 am

More into red wine than beer. Maybe that is reflectes in my tent choice. Stratosphire li on its way! Wondering if there will be any tent envy between it and my friends duplexes! Hope I love it.
Robi
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Petew » Wed 23 Sep, 2020 2:50 pm

Noice!
Petew

Region: New South Wales

Postby Redtail » Wed 23 Sep, 2020 10:11 pm

As for Zpacks Duplex, go the Triplex.
For an extra 83g you get another 390mm of width. Plenty of room for two and gear!
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick
Redtail
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Western Australia

Postby Mark F » Thu 24 Sep, 2020 10:28 am

Just throwing another one into the mix. Six Moons Designs has the Haven tarp which can be paired with a net inner. https://www.sixmoondesigns.com/collections/ultralight-dyneema-shelters/products/haven-zero-g I use mine (with inner) mainly for cycle touring when I am using paid camp sites or when walking with my partner. For most solo walks I have been using a ZPacks Solplex. I handles me and most of my gear without any problems. Wet gear stays in the vestibule and there is enough space to cook. The pack goes under my head to give a bit more height to the pillow and other stuff goes at one or other end.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Robi » Sat 26 Sep, 2020 3:14 pm

Thanks for the input. My stratosphire li arrived a few days ago and after a couple of setups in the backyard I am very happy so far. It will be a palace for me alone and I can share. It was easier to setup than I thought, but I will practice more before a real trip. Footprint is pretty big, but the space and big vestibules will make cooking in bad weather easy. Lots of great little details, doors design, magnetic tie backs, quality zips etc. included stakes were not adequate in soft grass so will be replaced. Otherwise can’t wait to take it out on its first adventure!
Robi
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Next

Return to Ultralight backpacking