Tent pole

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Re: Tent pole

Postby Stew63 » Mon 05 Apr, 2021 5:09 pm

For my Locus Gear Khafra DCF-B pyramid/mid I purchased an adjustable carbon fibre 710 pole from Ruta Locura in the US - I opted for the much beefier/stronger/thicker pole so it weighs in at about 160gm although they have much lighter options available. Highly recommend an adjustable pole (for a mid) as you can easily 'tighten up' the shelter as required after pitching - especially in the middle of the night in windy condtions.
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby commando » Sat 10 Apr, 2021 4:17 pm

That tent would make a good yacht, totally impractical for the elements.
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby EGM » Mon 02 Aug, 2021 1:21 pm

Hi Barry. I see you gave your thoughts on the pyramid tent but have you had an opportunity to try the tarp tent? I'm thinking of buying one and wondering how you found it and how much space there is under the tarp with out the bivy?
EGM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Previous

Return to Ultralight backpacking