Custom size space blanket

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Custom size space blanket

Postby gbagua » Fri 09 Apr, 2021 10:54 pm

Hello,

Need one as a footprint for a tarptent. Floor dimensions are 223.5x102cm. The problem is that all space blankets sold on eBay are limited to the max. length of 210cm.

Has anyone been able to find one longer than that (and the vendor which supplies them).

Cheers!
gbagua
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Re: Custom size space blanket

Postby Franco » Sat 10 Apr, 2021 8:33 am

13cm short will probably work anyway because there should be almost no pressure at all above thsose last few cm all around. In fact it is better to have it a bit shorter than a bit longer.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 10 Apr, 2021 8:40 am

Why "Space Blanket" ?
RFL simply doesn't work without an air space, ordinary plastic sheeting would work as well I think.
If you really do want something reflective look around building sites for an off-cut of Sisalation.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby camm » Sat 10 Apr, 2021 11:25 am

Why not polycro? https://ultralighthiker.com.au/products ... loth-sheet

If you've got more demanding requirements, Evan from Terra Rossa Gear can make something custom.
camm
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby gbagua » Sat 10 Apr, 2021 11:29 am

Cool! Thnx Franco.

Moondog55. It's the lightest footprint you'll ever find.
gbagua

Postby gbagua » Sat 10 Apr, 2021 11:32 am

8)

OK, not bad it's light too but more expensive. Thnx.
gbagua

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 10 Apr, 2021 1:31 pm

Yes but also the most fragile, unless you are talking about the HD real Space Blankets and those weigh about 250 grams, more if you buy the ones with corner grommets.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby keithj » Sat 10 Apr, 2021 2:14 pm

gbagua wrote:Need one as a footprint for a tarptent. Floor dimensions are 223.5x102cm. The problem is that all space blankets sold on eBay are limited to the max. length of 210cm.

Has anyone been able to find one longer than that (and the vendor which supplies them).!
Aliexpress has one at 2.4m x 1.9m - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002140135741.html

... or you could customise a 2.1m one with scissors & some duct tape ?
keithj
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 10 Apr, 2021 2:53 pm

I use a scrap of something like the engineered flooring underlay in the link.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/qep-silver- ... y_p6650148
A leftover from the renovations in my case so a bit heavier than a space blanket and I've never bothered to weigh the bit I use.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby crollsurf » Sat 10 Apr, 2021 5:24 pm

You don't need a footprint for Tarptents. The bathtub material is thin but surprisingly durable. I've camped on sites that I was sure would stick holes in the floor but it's never happened.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby gbagua » Sat 10 Apr, 2021 6:58 pm

Ah! Good to know...BUT when it rains I hope the floor doesn't soak water; hence the idea of using a footprint.

moondog55, the space blanket lightweight is very durable; I have used it for bivvying and not a single hole. Rough alpine surface.
gbagua

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 10 Apr, 2021 7:53 pm

gbagua wrote:
moondog55, the space blanket lightweight is very durable; I have used it for bivvying and not a single hole. Rough alpine surface.

You have had better luck than me then, I find them very poor strength; especially where they have been folded to get them into those tiny packages.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ribuck » Sat 10 Apr, 2021 8:35 pm

gbagua wrote:... when it rains I hope the floor doesn't soak water; hence the idea of using a footprint

In that case, 210mm length is perfect. If any of the footprint sticks out under the tent, it catches the rain and funnels it under the floor. If the footprint is a few cm smaller all round, it's perfect. As Franco says, you don't apply much pressure around the edges of the tent.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Neo » Sat 10 Apr, 2021 9:55 pm

I find that abrasion is a concern. Seems wherever I go the soils are sandy or have a sand-like content, even up high. It would be wearing off the lovely coating on the floor and tent fabrics.

So using a UL groundsheet is something I always do. I like Tyvek, am currently trying the polycro listed above for one tent, did use a space blanket for a while too. Have dabbled with black builders plastic but it's a bit heavy by comparison.

Length-wise as Franco said the middle is where the benefits are. I even have some just 1.5m long, being a cheapskate and cutting two bits from a 2x1.5m sheet.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Stew63 » Sun 11 Apr, 2021 5:38 pm

I back Moondog here. At least try some of the silver/reflective builders 'foil'. Yes it's a slightly heavier than polypro BUT it folds up very nicely (like a map) and quickly, is reinforced, waterproof, reflective (additional warmth R-value!) and can be cut to size. I've bought and tried ultralight polycro a few times but it's just so thin and lightweight AND mostly it was a total pain in the bum packing up (imagine packing a 2.3x1.3m piece of 'sticky' gladwrap!) and not very durable. (After 2 UL trips I chucked it away out of sheer frustration) Black builders plastic is strong like the foil but does not have any insulation properties and is quite heavy. Sometimes saving ~50gms does not outweigh the actual point of having an effective useable footprint. There's 3 types of builders foil light/medium/heavy - light should be fine. If you want to try some I can send some light stuff for free as I have a lot left over from a Covid lockdown project that I'll never use again. The stuff I have is 1350mm wide.
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Return to Ultralight backpacking