Anyone else gaining weight?

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Anyone else gaining weight?

Postby wildwanderer » Wed 19 May, 2021 8:07 am

And not just around the middle!

I've noticed I'm steadily increasing the weight of my gear.

Going from a Nemo tensor 3/4 to a full length thermarest xlite.

Adding a extra 400 grams :shock: to my pack by upsizing for an extra 10L and upgrading to more durable materials.

Occasionally taking a 1L pot instead of a 500ml for ease of use.

It's mostly a reflection of the different types of trips I do. Sometimes tracked, sometimes off track where I need more durable gear. But it's also wanting more ease of use.

I'm surprised my Osprey exos has lasted as long as it has in the scrub.. though I have to baby it at times... and it's always in the back of my mind that it's going to fail at some point out in some swamp country far from the car. So a more durable but heavier pack will alleviate those concerns. So much for not packing your fears :lol:

I'll still use the exos for tracked trips.

The Nemo was good but again I got more punctures than I'd like and I now sleep so much better on a more durable full length mat.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Anyone else gaining weight?

Postby Lamont » Wed 19 May, 2021 8:46 am

On the winter gear not so much.
But for temps down to about 2 or 3 cut a bit rather than gained :D

Now I think about it- forgot I'm carrying in the cooler weather (added in) my complete little BRS/Cup (195 gms total -inc gas) set up. Chuck 20 gms of gas into the canister and get 10 nice cuppas. Sweet as.
Last edited by Lamont on Wed 19 May, 2021 12:32 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Zapruda » Wed 19 May, 2021 8:59 am

I take the right gear for the conditions. If that means the weight increases, then so be it. I will always bring the lightest possible kit I can and leave anything I don't need at home. Bringing a pot that is double the size for ease of use is not something I would personally do. Is that 5 minutes of ease worth the 10 hours each day you have to carry it?

I've been using UL gear off track for years. It is a misconception that UL gear isn't "durable" enough for off track use. I've just put 4000 kilometres on a 50d DCF pack, most of which have been off track. Of course there are exceptions and I think skill level has a lot to do with gear lasting or not. I've seen granite and scrub put holes in One Planet / Mont packs just as easily as it does to Dyneema grid.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby JohnnoMcJohnno » Wed 19 May, 2021 9:30 am

I suppose it depends on where you are starting from but I am still trending down. Recent additions to the kit are a 140g Titanium billy replacing my old 230g. A 22g mini swiss army knife instead of a 65g multi wonder. A 17g helinox trowel instead of the 100g sea to summit. A grand total of 216g saved which means I can bring an extra block of chocolate next walk.
JohnnoMcJohnno
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Wed 19 May, 2021 12:25 pm

I am definitely getting heavier around the middle, and the rear and everywhere...but my gear is possibly trending downward.
I absolutely understand your ponderings though as I also toy with comfort vs. weight and how exactly this benefit ratio can best be calculated!
One of my packs is lightish, but still on the heavier side, but I find it comfortable at any weight carried. I could save 500-800g by leaving it at home in favour of something lighter, but then I won't be as comfortable.
I have however simplified my sleeping set up, something that I have historically been very precious about. I was always happy to carry a sleep pad that was comfortable at any weight, but then I realised I slept like poo in any case for the first night or two, so have switched to a CCF and sleep just the same. In doing so, I have of course ended up with a bulky item, but my cut down CCF as a torso pad now weight <200g so weight wise is a treat. I can then leave my sit pad at home also. I have been trialing a less bulky solution also which is a Klymit Xlite torso pad over a Gossamer Gear thin light also around 200g but fits better in a smaller pack.

My personal items I think are getting heavier, I stopped bring a roll on deo awhile back. Honestly though even being most often a solo walker, the body odour factor is something that bothers me, I don't like it at all. It also makes my baselayers have a permanent tang that although not evident afetr laundering, quickly returns with a bit of body heat. I have compromised and crammed some roll on paste/cream into an old chapstick container which lasts for 10-12 uses at only 5g. I am also taking a little bit of powdered dry shampoo too, but am yet to work out the best way to carry it. So , yes, adding weight in this department as my overall sense of cleanliness/happiness and therefore comfort are positively impacted by these items- although I realise for others this would seem a frivolous thing.

I think there is probably such a thing as stupid UL, but I don't think I would ever fall into this category, despite my overall gear purchases trending toward the goal of being UL. I think enjoyment and comfort are too important for me to scrimp on grams on things I find enhance my comfort.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildwanderer » Wed 19 May, 2021 6:32 pm

Zapruda wrote:I take the right gear for the conditions. If that means the weight increases, then so be it. I will always bring the lightest possible kit I can and leave anything I don't need at home. Bringing a pot that is double the size for ease of use is not something I would personally do. Is that 5 minutes of ease worth the 10 hours each day you have to carry it?

I've been using UL gear off track for years. It is a misconception that UL gear isn't "durable" enough for off track use. I've just put 4000 kilometres on a 50d DCF pack, most of which have been off track. Of course there are exceptions and I think skill level has a lot to do with gear lasting or not. I've seen granite and scrub put holes in One Planet / Mont packs just as easily as it does to Dyneema grid.

All good points.

For me its coming down to a combination of the lack of durability of my current exos for some of the walking I do and ease of use/comfort of a few other things. Namely the mat and the pot.

The larger ti pot isn’t much of a gram gainer. Its only 20-30 grams heavier than the 500ml one. Bought it off Lamont, cheers mate! The big difference is now I don’t need to fill my spag bol dish to the brim and risk spilling it when stirring during the simmer process. And I can make HUGE coffees!

I agree UL packs can be very durable. It comes down to my specific needs. Most of the tough UL packs like HMG etc have simple back panels (or none).. My back sweats like crazy when up against a minimal breathing surface.. people think my water bottle is leaking.. :lol:

So, I need something that has a lot of air channels to facilitate airflow between my back and the pack. That’s where the trampoline back of the exos was excellent, ventilation was great so I barely sweated in most circumstances. I also like to have my water close at hand without taking off the pack.. so water bottle holders are needed. I haven’t really seen anything in the UL range that has those features and can still handle being hauled up a cliff by a rope without risk of damaging the harness or a water bottle holder.

I also want something capable of doing 8-9 days without a food drop. So, the new pack will be 1.5kg for 60L vs my current 48L at 1.1kg Heavier than Id like but still not too bad considering the feature set.

Having said that.. Id gladly hear of lighter options.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildwanderer » Wed 19 May, 2021 6:39 pm

Ms_Mudd wrote:I think enjoyment and comfort are too important for me to scrimp on grams on things I find enhance my comfort.

Exactly. For me its about finding a balance.. and having different gear for different types of trips. I have my 3.7kg base weight (slightly stupid light) setup for easy trips in good weather but for some other trips I want more comfort or more durability or more features.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildwanderer » Wed 19 May, 2021 6:44 pm

Lamont wrote:On the winter gear not so much.

Now I think about it- forgot I'm carrying in the cooler weather (added in) my complete little BRS/Cup (195 gms total -inc gas) set up. Chuck 20 gms of gas into the canister and get 10 nice cuppas. Sweet as.

Im most interested in that UL banana lounger you mentioned before edited your post.. Trying to keep it a secret? :D
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Wed 19 May, 2021 7:19 pm

wildwanderer wrote:
Lamont wrote:On the winter gear not so much.

Im most interested in that UL banana lounger you mentioned before edited your post.. Trying to keep it a secret? :D

Haha. I was out bush reading your post in the dark without specs and having a cuppa. I misread everything, hence all the b.loody edits. I am a dinki di banana lounge lover though.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Huntsman247 » Sun 23 May, 2021 9:22 am

You're all making me sick about these few hundred gram increases in weight.
I'd bought this uber light carbon fiber tripod to save some considerable weight but since upgrading my camera it is no longer stable enough in breezy conditions. I've gone back to the more sturdy one i used to use. Still carbon fiber but a good 900g heavier. Add the weight of about 1kg increase with the newer camera. And nearly 2kgs heavier.
That's a lot of food I could have been carrying...
Brilliant decision to upgrade! *sigh*
Huntsman247
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby JohnnoMcJohnno » Sun 23 May, 2021 9:41 am

Huntsman247 wrote:You're all making me sick about these few hundred gram increases in weight.
I'd bought this uber light carbon fiber tripod to save some considerable weight but since upgrading my camera it is no longer stable enough in breezy conditions. I've gone back to the more sturdy one i used to use. Still carbon fiber but a good 900g heavier. Add the weight of about 1kg increase with the newer camera. And nearly 2kgs heavier.
That's a lot of food I could have been carrying...
Brilliant decision to upgrade! *sigh*

If your other photo's are like your profile shot, I think it's worth the weight.
JohnnoMcJohnno
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby warnesy » Sun 23 May, 2021 11:51 am

I had been trending down but a slight uptick with the addition of the helinox chair zero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
warnesy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Return to Ultralight backpacking