Anyone about to buy a Tarptent?

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Anyone about to buy a Tarptent?

Postby vieve » Thu 18 Nov, 2021 7:45 pm

Hi all, a bit of a longshot but thought I'd ask.

After much deliberation I finally ordered myself a Tarptent Double Rainbow Li to replace my much loved but worn out Rainbow. It arrived yesterday but upon opening the package I noticed that the stuff suck had a hole/cut towards the bottom. I contacted Tarptent immediately and although they claim it did not leave their premises in that state they have offered to send a replacement. Unfortunately they apparently cannot send 'small' packages to Australia right now due to covid so a replacement is a long way off. It is disappointing given this tent is so expensive but unfortunately nothing I can do about it just now. I haven't done a full inspection of the rest of the tent but I am hopeful that it too is not damaged.

Anyway, to get to the point.... I was thinking if anyone was about to order a Tarptent they could let me know and I could ask Tarptent to include a new stuff sack in their order. I'd be happy to pay postage to get the stuff sack from anywhere in Australia to me in Sydney.

Let me know if anyone is about to purchase and would help me out...
Last edited by vieve on Fri 19 Nov, 2021 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
vieve
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Re: Anyone about to buy a Tarptent?

Postby wildwanderer » Thu 18 Nov, 2021 8:24 pm

I'm not looking to buy a tent but I do need a trekking pole holder for my protrail Li. I included one in my order but somehow lost it within a month of it being delivered.

If anyone else from nsw needs tarp tent accessories maybe we could do a group purchase or something and they could put them in one satchel.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby headwerkn » Fri 19 Nov, 2021 7:35 am

As an aside, I ordered a ProTrail Li a few months' back and despite paying the extra for expediated USPS shipping it still took a month to get here... going via Tokyo and spending a week there for reasons only the gods of international logistics can explain.

Fedex, DHL etc. international priority shipping have been much more reasonable and reliable during the pandemic eg. we've had skis and another HMG pack take just over a week to arrive. I've already suggested to Henry he use or offer them as an alternate service. If you're in any sense of hurry (aka would like it before summer is over) I'd mention it to him again. Best of luck!

[drinks coffee, brain starts working]

Actually what am I saying, I have the stuff sack for my Pro Trail Li here sitting unused and unneeded (I use a bigger DCF dry bag so I can pack the tent flat). I'm almost 100% sure it is the exact same bag the Double Rainbow Li comes in (ProTrail can be stuffed down waaay smaller). Will check with my partner tonight and let you know.

Cheers, Ben.
headwerkn
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby vieve » Fri 19 Nov, 2021 10:48 am

Thanks Ben, let me know about the stuff sack.

I can't complain about shippping times using UPS - my Double Rainbow Li was sent on 9/11 and arrived on Wed 17/11. Interestingly I don't believe I paid for expediated USPS shipping but they seemed to have used it.
vieve
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby EGM » Fri 19 Nov, 2021 10:57 am

I've read a couple of places recently that currently the only postage service from the US to AUS us express due to a shortage of passenger planes etc.
EGM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Avatar » Fri 19 Nov, 2021 12:57 pm

Just patch the hole. It's a stuffsack. Clark Rubber have clear Stormsure patches (check if they will work on Dyneema but definitely worth a try for a couiple of $) or Dyneema tape or Gorilla tape or just use some Seam Grip, which is a filler adhesive. May be worth asking Tarptent to send some Dyneema patches - then you'll have some spare for tent holes and be better off. Will fit in a letter.
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Orion » Fri 19 Nov, 2021 3:06 pm

If it's like the Tarptent I bought (or the vast majority of other tents) the stuff sack is too small anyway. Buy or sew a larger one. A few dollars and a few extra grams is well worth how much easier it will be to stuff the tent when it's cold and raining.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Petew » Sat 20 Nov, 2021 10:18 am

A bit of DCF tape is all you need to fix the cut. If you're in Sydney DM me and I'll give you a bit (I'm in the inner west).

Cheers,

Pete
Petew

Return to Ultralight backpacking