Mariposa

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Mariposa

Postby Mcspud » Sun 30 Jan, 2022 11:31 am

Anyone ordered a Mariposa and used it lately? I’m looking at buying one but see there sold out everywhere in Aus. I’m going lightweight and like the design of this pack. Not sure about load hauling a weeks food in it though. Between food drops I often carry up to 18 kg.
FYI I’ve done AAWT solo and other walks over 15 days recently. Also like The One tent to replace my Big Agnes Flycreek which has started leaking badly after three years.
Mcspud
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australia

Re: Mariposa

Postby Orion » Mon 31 Jan, 2022 4:41 am

I bought one for my partner a few years ago. I don't believe the design has changed since then. It's well made but the top opening and flap closure are poorly designed. It's especially annoying to try and get anything large into the pack. I've been looking for a replacement pack for her. It's also ugly. They now offer it in a kind of puke-green color as well the suicide-grey original.

Carrying comfort is good, so says my partner. But GG specs the max capacity at 35lbs/16kg and comfort capacity at 30lbs/14kg. So you'd be pushing it a bit in terms of fatigue on your shoulders/back.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Franco » Mon 31 Jan, 2022 8:19 am

maybe you could look at the ULA Catalyst. it's at 1.35 kg, so heaveier but should carry the 15-18kg range in much more comfort than a Mariposa.
My Circuit (smaller version of the Catalyst) is still OK at 15 kg and I have had about 18kg ( couple of hikes when I needed extra water) but it definatelly wasn't a joy to carry at 18 kg....
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Mcspud » Mon 31 Jan, 2022 4:46 pm

Great replies. I’m also worried a bit about the lid closure on these types of packs. I’m going from a Ariel 65 so expect a trade off to get weight down.
The new pack will do no bush bashing. It’s my knees that are giving issues hence the UL path
Mcspud
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Franco » Mon 31 Jan, 2022 6:41 pm

An uncofortable 1 kg pack with 17 kg inside is a lot heavier than the same load in a 1.5 kg pack that can do the job.
Just my opinion.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Orion » Tue 01 Feb, 2022 3:37 pm

A bigger load is more comfortable with a better carrying pack that will be heavier as well. But for your knees the solution is to figure out how to carry less so you can comfortably use a lighter pack. Obviously what you need depends on conditions but I have done numerous weeklong walks with around 12kg total. I'll bet you can too.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Wed 02 Feb, 2022 5:03 pm

I'm all for the UL brands (have a brilliant ULA) but once you get over a kg I reckon you're better off with a lightweight load hauler (eg one planet extrovert... still only 1.3 kg I think?) that can carry upwards of 15 kg comfortably

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby safari » Thu 03 Feb, 2022 6:37 am

I've been using a Mariposa and nothing else for maybe 5 years now, I find the carrying capacity is too large for most hikes but handy when you need to cram in a weeks food or extra water in dry regions.

Super comfy, fairly durable apart from when I used it on the Western Arthur circuit last year, duct tape is doing duty now. Gossamer Gear makes great products. I will switch to a Gorilla or Six Moons after the Heysen this Winter when I retire my Mariposa for a change. Less capacity means less weight and stuff I can ceam in.
the worst thing that can happen to a man, is he becomes civilised
David Goggins
safari
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Alana84 » Thu 03 Feb, 2022 8:04 am

I've been using the Mariposa for about 2 years now. It's my go-to pack when I need to carry a heavier load, or 7+ days food and winter gear. The heaviest I've carried was about 15kg and it was very comfortable. I especially love the tall side pocket for my tent.
Alana84
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby Mcspud » Thu 03 Feb, 2022 6:00 pm

Thanks again. I’ve been lucky enough to be given a HMG 3400 black for a few months. It looks good.
Like others my Osprey was damaged in the Western Arthur’s traverse. The mesh panels were shredded. It held together along Port Davey and out SCT. But it’s on its last legs.
Mcspud
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Ultralight backpacking