UL tarp gives shade?

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

UL tarp gives shade?

Postby Neo » Tue 22 Feb, 2022 5:46 pm

Hello

I enjoy the STS 3x3 tarp except that it is yellow and not great for shade. Also only having one tie point each side is limiting, sometimes.

Can anyone recommend a tarp up to 500g that also provides okay shade? I guess a darker grey or brown colour may work.

I am aware that any tarp under the beating sun will be hot. My canvas 3x3 roasts!
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: UL tarp gives shade?

Postby thoyeabout » Tue 22 Feb, 2022 6:53 pm

Look at Alpkit in the UK. They have a Rig 3.5 Tarp. It weighs about 300g. I have one and am very happy with it.
thoyeabout
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Avatar » Tue 22 Feb, 2022 6:57 pm

Tyvek works great as a shade, but may not be robust enough as a full functioning weatherproof tarp. I've glued hems with PVA and added grommets and it has withstood breezes of about 30kmh, but anything more would stress the attachment points. I don't think silnylon will cut it as a shade and UV damage will be fast.
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Neo » Tue 22 Feb, 2022 6:58 pm

Rig 7 almost there, a bit small.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Neo » Tue 22 Feb, 2022 7:20 pm

The Alton 3x3 could be OK.

UD FK tarp is a light grey.

DD ultralight in coyote brown may work...
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ribuck » Wed 23 Feb, 2022 5:18 am

Neo wrote:I guess a darker grey or brown colour may work.

I don't think so! You want as white as you can get, but it absolutely must be opaque. A silverised tarp (like the more robust type of space blanket) is also excellent; it's cheap and readily available, with tie-out holes pre-made.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Warin » Wed 23 Feb, 2022 9:48 am

ribuck wrote:
Neo wrote:I guess a darker grey or brown colour may work.

I don't think so! You want as white as you can get, but it absolutely must be opaque. A silverised tarp (like the more robust type of space blanket) is also excellent; it's cheap and readily available, with tie-out holes pre-made.

White or a reflective silver work by reflecting light/heat. Note that some silvers are not reflective.

An opaque material will be more effective in heat reduction than a translucent material.

Having said all that .. even a black translucent material will reduce radiant heat. Use what you have, it will help.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Neo » Wed 23 Feb, 2022 11:26 am

Tried the SOL emergency shelter, cool little pegs it is a heavy duty space blanket.
Have the SOL sports utility blanket which has eyelets but is a bit small. Thicker than the other.

For shade a light colour wouldn't block the light...
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Avatar » Wed 23 Feb, 2022 2:06 pm

If you want UV protection and coolness in bright sun and heat, you want as white as you can get as it will reflect radiant heat and absorb/reflect UV. Tyvek delivers. If you want a darkroom you need 100% opacity.
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Neo » Wed 23 Feb, 2022 2:16 pm

Ok now I get it. When picturing white I thought of DCF or similar. Tyvek would work nicely.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Neo » Thu 07 Apr, 2022 6:46 pm

Today I bought a Mont batwing large 480g for $255. 3.4x2.9m in green. Comes with ten sturdy narrow red x profile pegs 90g.

Currently car camping, it is extended over a BigSky Rev2p with one pole (MSR), creating a rain and wind shedding palace ;)
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Stew63 » Mon 25 Apr, 2022 10:03 pm

I'm newish to the tarpin' lifestyle - only 5 nights. I have a Mountain Laurel Designs 'Grace' duo tarp in .75/Dyneema (white) which gives great shade. But...
The problem I discovered a few days ago is the tarp condensation in certain cold conditions is extreme and feels (with each sudden 'nudge' of wind) like it's almost raining underneath on my down sleeping bag!
Pitched on the summit of open, alpine Mt. Howitt, (beautiful, clearish cold night) ambient temp 2C, wind a gentle 5~8km/h, tarp condensation 110%! After 2hours I woke and realised my Versalite down bag was becoming soaked particularly around my waist area.
I aborted the mission and climbed into a tent. I love my tarp under the moon/stars but it definitely and sadly has its limitations :(

Note: Tarp sides were firmly pitched ~30cm above ground with a good air/wind flow through. I use Ruta Locura carbon fibre adjustable poles and stakes.
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Avatar » Mon 25 Apr, 2022 10:48 pm

I had a camp at Vallejo Gantner hut around this time of year a few years back. About 7C but tent had heaps of condensation. No wind. Also cloud inversion next morning in Terrible Hollow. So I would say this is a seasonal thing in this region.
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby crollsurf » Mon 25 Apr, 2022 10:56 pm

DCF that gives good shade!!!!

I've always found DCF to be pretty much a heat trap.

Tarps v single layer tent re condensation, there shouldn't be much difference. In fact the tarp is normally better due to better ventilation. Double layer tents are better but for the most part, just hide the condensation on the inner side of the outer layer.

Every night is different and camping under foliage helps but generally, condensation is worse in early evening and early morning.

You can avoid that early evening condensation by not setting up until after the sun goes down and the dew settles.

Personally, condensation doesn't worry me, but it can be an issue over multiple days, especially with Down, if you can't dry out your bag/quilt during the day.

Maybe set up the tarp so condensation runs down the sides and doesn't drip on you. I've never seen it that bad, but I've heard it does happen.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Stew63 » Mon 02 May, 2022 4:42 pm

Thanks crollsurf.

Yeah I definitely would not recommend a DCF .75 white tarp for shading from the sun! :lol:

I was really surprised the other night with a light 5kmh breeze blowing through the tarp - I just assumed that breeze was enough to rid the tarp of any emitted body warmth/condensation - but it was much worse than the night before (same conditions) with no breeze! When the breeze momentarily (and frequently) 'buffeted' up to 8kmh it would suddenly shed the condensation all over me/sleeping bag. By about only 9:30pm the down bag was obviously becoming soaked and it was already about 0C. Yes - in theory setting up the tarp with a steeper sides to somewhat shed the condensation would work - but in practice it can't be done with my tarp as the shedding angles required would mean no effective area to actually use under my Grace tarp :(

vvv My MLD Grace tarp on the Mt Howitt summit campsite at dawn vvv
Attachments
IMG_6304.jpg
IMG_6304.jpg (32.3 KiB) Viewed 13129 times
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Neo » Mon 02 May, 2022 5:30 pm

Beautiful campsite.
I use a synthetic quilt or half bag to reduce my worries of damp coziness.
Without wind I find a tarp doesn't drip on me much. Classic or tapered A frame setup. But usually I'm in a tent due to ticks and sometimes likely leeches :(
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby crollsurf » Mon 02 May, 2022 10:21 pm

Great photo Stew. Unless your lens fogged up, you can literally see the mist in the photo. I don't think anything UL will save you from that. Back in the day, you could run your finger down the inside of an old canvas tent, to direct the water, but that was for the rain soaking through the tent. Not sure that would work with modern materials.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Stew63 » Tue 03 May, 2022 3:16 pm

crollsurf wrote:Great photo Stew. Unless your lens fogged up, you can literally see the mist in the photo. I don't think anything UL will save you from that. Back in the day, you could run your finger down the inside of an old canvas tent, to direct the water, but that was for the rain soaking through the tent. Not sure that would work with modern materials.

Can't take credit for the mist in the photo - it's most likely my special effect app I call 'finger smudge on iPhone10 lens'.
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Ultralight backpacking