UL sleeping bag + mat suggestions for Vic + Nepal

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

UL sleeping bag + mat suggestions for Vic + Nepal

Postby Chupachupstho » Tue 15 Mar, 2022 10:34 pm

Hi everyone. I'm (F, 43 kg, 159cm, skinny and always cold) new to the UL world but love hiking. Most of my hikes are done here in Victoria (-3c in winter to 15c in summer on average). I'm doing a five week trek in Nepal this April with a some nights going as low -15c but we will be sleeping in the tea houses so I imagine I won't need a sleeping mat, just a warm bag. Most of my gear is pretty cheap/heavy and I'm upgrading everything to warmer, lighter gear, and hope to achieve a base weight of <5kg. I'm hoping to get the minimum (in terms of cost and weight) for my needs, and would like not to end up with two of everything to cover the seasons, but if that is unavoidable, so be it.

I currently have the following:
Sleeping bag: Black wolf campsite 10 kids Comfort Temperature: -10°C External Size: 180 X 75 X 55cm Weight: 1.65kg
Liner: Sea to summit extreme thermal liner (+15c) 390 grams
Backpack: Black wolf b lite 55L 1.3kg

1. Sleeping bag: Will my current bag and liner be sufficient for -15c nights? OR I'm considering a custom Hammock Gear Burrow Down Quilt rated to -17c (AU$320, 878g) or can size down to a -6c quilt ($263, 700g). Will these be overkill for my usual use in Melbourne? Any other suggestions on warm bags that are light and not crazy expensive? I'm a side sleeper.
2. Is the liner useless and should I take a quilt + sleeping bag, or two sleeping bags for layering?
3. Sleeping mat: Will I get more use out of the Mountain Designs Dahlia Pro 3.8 (r3.7, 800g, $40 at Anaconda) or should I splurge for a Prolite plus / thermarest xtherm/S2S ester light? These are $200-$400 and warmer, rated up to r6 (I'm a side sleeper). I'm thinking the Dahlia might be okay to 0c and I can double up with a ccf below 0c? Is the extra 300-400g of the Dahlia so bad?

Thanks so much! (I'm based in SE Melbourne).
Chupachupstho
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: UL sleeping bag + mat suggestions for Vic + Nepal

Postby johnrs » Wed 16 Mar, 2022 9:15 am

Heh Chuppa
Have a look at a Cumulus Liteline 400 with your thermal liner.
https://cumulus.equipment/intl_en/down- ... e-400.html
April is pretty warm in Nepal.
You won't generally need a mat unless in really basic teahouses.
Check with Cumulus re delivery times, very good quality products
John
johnrs
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby RonK » Thu 17 Mar, 2022 7:47 am

In my experience the sleeping bag I used in Nepal was much too warm when I used it for an early spring walk on the Overland Track in Tasmania. I remember waking during the night in a lather of sweat then shivering the rest of the night.

And while Nepal may be fairly warm at lower altitudes at that time of year it is still likely to be cold up high. I have experienced temperature around -15 on many nights.

I'm not familiar with the brands you mentioned - I was using a Marmot Helium which has a comfort rating of 5.5 C with a silk liner, but I'm a warm sleeper. My wife was using another much warmer Marmot bag
RonK

Region: Queensland

Postby Chupachupstho » Thu 17 Mar, 2022 8:50 am

Thanks for the bag suggestions! What do you guys think about the sleeping mat options?
Chupachupstho
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby johnrs » Thu 17 Mar, 2022 3:34 pm

You won't need a matt CPCP, unless you are in really remote tea houses, maybe take a sachet of Permethrin though, for bedbugs from Bunnings. April is pretty warm too, get a minus 7 bag that you can use in Australia and top it up with a liner.
Here is some temperature information https://excitingnepal.com/everest-base- ... mperature/
John
johnrs

Postby Eremophila » Thu 17 Mar, 2022 9:28 pm

Are you trekking independently or using a guide? Most companies provide good quality sleeping bags.
Eremophila

Postby Chupachupstho » Fri 18 Mar, 2022 8:18 am

Trekking independently but I am wanting to get a sleeping pad & bag to suit a wide variety of conditions.
Chupachupstho
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Chupachupstho » Fri 18 Mar, 2022 8:19 am

*conditions in Australia (for future hikes)
Chupachupstho
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby johnrs » Fri 18 Mar, 2022 2:30 pm

Heh CPCP
You will struggle to get one sleeping bag to suit Australian summers and down to minus 12 in Nepal!
As before suggest a combo of liner and moderately warm bag.
Here is a bunch of reasonably established china bags
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002 ... Redirect=y
johnrs

Postby Eremophila » Fri 18 Mar, 2022 6:39 pm

You could always wing it and buy one when you get to Kathmandu. Some of the knock-offs are very good quality.

Perhaps not the wisest idea….. still, have a look around Thamel for some bargains before you leave.
Eremophila

Postby keithy » Fri 18 Mar, 2022 10:27 pm

While April can be warm in Nepal, at higher altitudes especially over 4000m it can definitely get much colder overnight. Some of the tea houses at the higher altitudes have very thin walls with no insulation. My water bottle froze next to the bed in a few tea houses.

With regards to your sleeping bag, I am not sure how accurate blackwolf's temp ratings are - I would suggest if you are going for a warmer/lighter option, a down fill is the way to go (unless you intend on going camping in constantly wet environs). I like johnrs's option of the Cumulus - I have the Cumulus Liteline 300 and I've used it down to -5°C but I tend to sleep warm.

One of my friends sleeps cold, and I put her on to some down pants. She uses hers now as part of a lightweight sleeping system and for hut/tea house use. Montbell has a pair of lightweight down pants, but cheaper options are from Aegismax and Naturehike.

Otherwise test out a lighter down bag for Vic winter use, and double it with the thermal liner as others have suggested. I have used the S2S extreme liner and while it was comfy I am not sure it added +15°C warmth.

With regards to the sleeping mat, as others have said, for Nepal and tea houses, even the ones at higher altitudes, you won't need the mat. For use in Vic, you might find that the self inflating mats like the MD Dahlia you mentioned are not great for side sleepers, unless it's on soft ground. While they are hardier than other inflatable mats, they are bulkier and heavier. I have a Thermarest Womens' Prolite Plus rated r4.6 in my gear cupboard that you're welcome to try out.

You might find that the thicker inflated mats like the S2S or the Thermarest xtherm insulated mats give you a more comfy sleep for side sleepers. The down side to those are that they are going to be much more expensive.
keithy

Region: Other Country

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 19 Mar, 2022 7:15 am

Used/Second Hand can be an option.
There was a S/H EE Enigma on Gearfreak yesterday, it did sell within hours tho.
As keithy says; any extra clothing worn can give a large boost and depending on your size the Aegismax or Nature Hike down pants would work around camp as well.
Not Ultralite [ far from it ] but I am impressed with how versatile my S2S Traveller sleeping bags are
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Erniec2 » Sat 19 Mar, 2022 2:20 pm

I haven't hiked Nepal but did a motorcycle tour.
I would if I went again take a mat.
They aren't that heavy or bulky.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using Tapatalk
Erniec2
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Chupachupstho » Sun 20 Mar, 2022 4:07 pm

You guys are all so helpful and friendly, thank you! I bought a custom -17c rated down sleeping quilt from hammock gear (900g!). Expensive but not when you consider the quality and weight. I'm also going to get an r4 sleeping mat from alton goods. Happy to do a review once I've used them all if anyone is interested. Thanks again all!

Ps do you guys ever do hiking trips together? Or is that asking for trouble with strangers on the internet etc lol
Chupachupstho
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Chupachupstho » Sun 20 Mar, 2022 4:09 pm

I didn't realise that hammock sleeping is an option until very recently. Looks super serene but also snakes freak me the *&%$#! out, so I don't like the idea of camping without a secure tent around me. How do you hammock sleepers get around the risk of a snake getting into bed with you?
Chupachupstho
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Tortoise » Sun 20 Mar, 2022 8:55 pm

Chupachupstho wrote:Ps do you guys ever do hiking trips together? Or is that asking for trouble with strangers on the internet etc lol

I have done walks with individuals from the forum here. I've (so far) only gone with people who have had a long association with it, and who know people in clubs who know people I know. It's given me opportunities I wouldn't have had otherwise.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby north-north-west » Mon 21 Mar, 2022 7:07 am

Tortoise wrote:
Chupachupstho wrote:Ps do you guys ever do hiking trips together? Or is that asking for trouble with strangers on the internet etc lol

I have done walks with individuals from the forum here. I've (so far) only gone with people who have had a long association with it, and who know people in clubs who know people I know. It's given me opportunities I wouldn't have had otherwise.

This. I've met quite a few of the longer-term Tassie posters, and even done a few walks with some, although mostly I take pity on them and walk alone.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Chupachupstho » Wed 25 May, 2022 5:04 pm

I've just returned from 5 weeks hiking in Nepal and had the best time! Thank you guys do much for your advice. Now to book a winter hike in Vic..
Chupachupstho
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby johnrs » Thu 26 May, 2022 12:03 pm

Hi again CHC
How did your trip and gear go?
Any details appreciated
Thanks
John
johnrs

Postby Chupachupstho » Wed 20 Jul, 2022 11:49 pm

It was so so wonderful and I can't wait to head back to nepal! The blackwolf b lite 55L backpack was great, as were my Moab 2 boots & hammock gear economy burrow -17c sleeping quilt. I sometimes also used the s2s ultra liner. We trekked for 3 weeks and covered 250km. Anything else you'd like to know, please ask :)
Chupachupstho
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Chris Denyer » Mon 05 Sep, 2022 11:21 pm

Chupachupstho wrote: I'm also going to get an r4 sleeping mat from alton goods. Happy to do a review once I've used them all if anyone is interested. Thanks again all!

How'd you find the Alton Goods R4 mat? I really like mine, purchased it with the Alton Goods Ultralight Top Quilt and clip them together.
Chris Denyer
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby Chupachupstho » Wed 28 Dec, 2022 10:41 pm

Hi! I havent used the alton goods sleeping mat yet - didnt need it for the trek in Nepal. I loved the Annapurna circuit so much i ended up going back in nov to do the three passes + basecamps
Chupachupstho
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Ultralight backpacking