Stuff.

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Stuff.

Postby Lamont » Sun 10 Apr, 2022 9:43 am

Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Re: Stuff.

Postby Stew63 » Wed 04 May, 2022 11:06 pm

Stuff? Organising stuff in your backpack - what do you do? Tips? I'm talking about organising bits and bobs to reduce the backpack chaos.

Discuss
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby EGM » Thu 05 May, 2022 11:38 am

Embrace the chaos.

But seriously what stuff are you talking about? I have a s2s first aid bag which I put batteries and toothbrush etc in as well as the obvious. Nothing else is an issue.
EGM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby crollsurf » Thu 05 May, 2022 12:52 pm

I had to pack when I had a 30L pack to get everthing in there. Now I've got a 55L pack and more space, I kind of stuff. Quilt and cloths get stuffed in Nylofume bag. Tent gets stuffed in another Nylofume bag
So if you have space, I'd say get stuffed!
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Lamont » Fri 06 May, 2022 9:58 am

Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/

Postby Kickinghorse » Sat 07 May, 2022 8:46 am

Stuff and nonsense.
Kickinghorse
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby north-north-west » Sat 07 May, 2022 8:54 am

I'm more of a stuff-up sort of person. It keeps life interesting.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Warin » Sat 07 May, 2022 9:33 am

north-north-west wrote:I'm more of a stuff-up sort of person. It keeps life interesting.

:lol:

Car Camping: Too many places for stuff to hide! Result ... comb lost in pants pocket for days. Head torch lost for a day or two... grrrrr

Much easier backpacking... if it is not there then it is really gone.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby neilmny » Sat 07 May, 2022 10:57 am

This may be a bit serious for the thread but........
Heard on radio yesterday about people having had Covid and sometime vaccines losing their arthritis symptoms.
Early days yet but since no.3 (I haven't had Covid that I know of) I have been able to walk much much more freely.
I can't remember the last time I had 2 days let alone 4 days in a row of no (more or less) constant pain which varied in level from annoying to migraine level (leg pain of course).
Anyone else noticed that type of thing?
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Sat 07 May, 2022 1:43 pm

neilmny wrote:Heard on radio yesterday about people having had Covid and sometime vaccines losing their arthritis symptoms.
Early days yet but since no.3 (I haven't had Covid that I know of) I have been able to walk much much more freely.
I can't remember the last time I had 2 days let alone 4 days in a row of no (more or less) constant pain which varied in level from annoying to migraine level (leg pain of course).

Nope. Things are bothering more the last month or so but that's mainly the cool, wet weather.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby neilmny » Sat 07 May, 2022 8:29 pm

north-north-west wrote:
neilmny wrote:Heard on radio yesterday about people having had Covid and sometime vaccines losing their arthritis symptoms.

Nope. Things are bothering more the last month or so but that's mainly the cool, wet weather.

I've found a falling barometer to cause a lot of disturbance in the force. Others with arthritis have mentioned the same. It is a shidowse affliction.
I'm at the end of day 4 and still good so far, fingers crossed.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby JohnnoMcJohnno » Sun 08 May, 2022 10:51 am

neilmny wrote:This may be a bit serious for the thread but........
Heard on radio yesterday about people having had Covid and sometime vaccines losing their arthritis symptoms.

Not me, but my ex-wife. She had a frozen shoulder, only had her first vaccination, got a mild dose of Covid and the frozen shoulder disappeared at the same time as the Covid symptoms. Could be co-incidence I suppose, but it certainly makes you wonder.
JohnnoMcJohnno
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby slparker » Mon 09 May, 2022 1:07 pm

geting an appointment shortly with an orthopod- looking at hip replacement at 53... sadly bushwalking is much restricted.... tripple Covid vax did nothing to help me but nothing replaces all that cartilage.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby neilmny » Mon 09 May, 2022 2:39 pm

Day 6 and the pain is lurking but not extreme, no where near what it has been. With thoughtful foot placement and stride I was able to do 25 minute walk on one of my favourite local tracks.
I've been struggling with this leg so long I have forgotten how to walk properly. This has caused issues with my other leg and both hips. Physio is slowly helping at which I must also persevere but the repetitions can be incredibly boring.

I'm hoping to avoid knee replacement but sometimes............
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 10 May, 2022 4:37 pm

slparker wrote:geting an appointment shortly with an orthopod- looking at hip replacement at 53... sadly bushwalking is much restricted.... tripple Covid vax did nothing to help me but nothing replaces all that cartilage.

53YO is early for a full hip replacement.
At least I was 65 or was that 66YO, but the 3 or 4 years before the Op was agony ; so good luck with the surgery and do everything you can beforehand to ease the re-hab.
Also ask your surgeon about a Birmingham resurfacing, some people get a better result with that technique
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby slparker » Wed 11 May, 2022 5:43 pm

Cheers MD.
Yep - my hip is pretty cactused which is annoying because I have been athletic my entire life. I am in the health industry so have selected the best surgeon in the area - not a guarantee of success but gives me the best chance.
I'm not in agony yet but it's really restricting me....
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Ultralight backpacking