ULA "Ultra 24" fabric packs

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

ULA "Ultra 24" fabric packs

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Thu 14 Jul, 2022 9:21 am

From their FB post:

WE ARE EXTREMELY EXCITED TO ANNOUNCE ULTRA24 PACKS ARE HERE!
Why do we call them Ultra24?
We use Ultra 200 in the less abrasion prone areas and 400 on the more abrasion prone areas to GUARANTEE these packs continue to last a lifetime!
Please note that due to our current production capacity(we make everything in house) we are currently only offering the Ohm, Catalyst, and Circuit in Ultra at this time.
We ARE NOT currently offering Ultra on the CDT, Photon, or Custom packs.
You can sign up for our newsletter on the website to stay up to date on when we will be expanding production into the CDT, Photon, and Custom packs!
All of the Ultra24 packs on the website are built and ready to go!
These have an option to add a logo(for free). Please note the logo will be added to the stretch mesh as we did not want to punch thousands of embroidery holes into a waterproof fabric!
Stretch mesh options include our standard stretch mesh as well as an upgraded stretch mesh that has Dyneema woven into it making it even more durable!

https://www.ula-equipment.com/ultra-24-packs/

Thoughts? I've put my robic Ohm 2.0 through hell and it's still going strong, but have been thinking about a larger lightweight pack (HMG Windrider or similar?) for a while. Thinking an Ultra24 Catalyst might be a good alternative maybe - slightly lighter and (purportedly) more durable and waterproof (probably more "resistant" really?) than their existing range, which kind of puts them in the same ballpark as the HMG range, but cheaper?
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: ULA "Ultra 24" fabric packs

Postby wander » Thu 14 Jul, 2022 11:50 am

How water proof are these packs / fabrics?

And how long does the waterproofing last? All of my non-canvas packs have lost their waterproofing after a few years. The lining materials that provide the waterproofing on the inside turn to powder / dust after which the pack leaks like a sieve.
wander
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: South Australia

Postby Dutchie64 » Thu 14 Jul, 2022 1:06 pm

wander wrote:How water proof are these packs / fabrics?

And how long does the waterproofing last? All of my non-canvas packs have lost their waterproofing after a few years. The lining materials that provide the waterproofing on the inside turn to powder / dust after which the pack leaks like a sieve.

Hiya Wander,

Not sure how long it lasts TBH - I put in a Nylofume liner regardless (mainly for my down sleeping bag). Even in my SWD backpack which is made out of Ultra 100 & 200 and is seam sealed

The Ultra fabric is fairly water resistant.

Cheers,
Dutchie
Dutchie64
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby north-north-west » Thu 14 Jul, 2022 1:39 pm

I've carried my Catalyst through some massive downpours. The fabric, so far, is still waterproof. The seams are not and never were. Although I still use a pack liner as a matter of course - there's no point taking chances with vital gear and clothing.

I like the look of that new fabric - except the (lack of) colour options - but I wish ULA would use the stretch fabric (used on the front pocket) for the side pockets as well. Those are the most vulnerable bits of the pack, especially when walking off-track. Only thing I would change about that pack.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Thu 14 Jul, 2022 1:57 pm

Yeah I have to admit waterproofness is of secondary concern to me - durability and weight far more important. I also always use liners so whatever waterproofing there is in the pack material itself is just a bonus really.
north-north-west wrote:I like the look of that new fabric - except the (lack of) colour options

Agree... the "look" is probably more of tertiary concern to me haha, but they are definitely a sharper looking pack than the existing line.
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wander » Fri 15 Jul, 2022 8:58 am

Yes I have used a dry bag system for years since my first Tas wander which was a very wet first week over the WAs. Basically everything goes into a dry bag.

But I do really like and appreciate a dry inside pack as a first part of gear management & keeping it dry.
wander

Region: South Australia

Postby north-north-west » Fri 15 Jul, 2022 10:18 am

I've had a quick email exchange with ULA, and they will make the side pockets out of different fabrics if requested. They're dubious about using a stretch fabric as they doubt it would be as robust as either Robic or Ultra24, but suggested something else new: Ultra 800, which might be as close to bombproof (or at least scrub proof) as you can get short of chain mail.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Fri 15 Jul, 2022 10:58 am

north-north-west wrote:I've had a quick email exchange with ULA, and they will make the side pockets out of different fabrics if requested. They're dubious about using a stretch fabric as they doubt it would be as robust as either Robic or Ultra24, but suggested something else new: Ultra 800, which might be as close to bombproof (or at least scrub proof) as you can get short of chain mail.

That's interesting... dumb question but I assume that's at an extra cost (and if so did they indicate how much)?
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Fri 15 Jul, 2022 11:15 am

Walk_fat boy_walk wrote:
north-north-west wrote:I've had a quick email exchange with ULA, and they will make the side pockets out of different fabrics if requested. They're dubious about using a stretch fabric as they doubt it would be as robust as either Robic or Ultra24, but suggested something else new: Ultra 800, which might be as close to bombproof (or at least scrub proof) as you can get short of chain mail.

That's interesting... dumb question but I assume that's at an extra cost (and if so did they indicate how much)?

Probably, but we didn't get that far.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Ultralight backpacking