Hyperlight Junction for an Arthurs traverse

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Hyperlight Junction for an Arthurs traverse

Postby gonebush » Sun 28 Aug, 2022 9:24 am

HI all,

I am looking for a new pack and am considering a Hyperlight Junction (possibly 34000) and my question is whether anyone has used one for an Arthurs traverse? Are there any thoughts on durability and suitability for 14 days in SW Tas? I think at the start I will be towards the upper end of the advertised load carrying capacity but within the 9-18KG suggested.

For context, I’m currently in a relationship with an old, made in NZ, large Glissade (2+ kg empty)and this pack has served me well over many adventures (it feels like betrayal just looking at another pack) IM just not sure the multiple repairs and wear points (both my knees and the pack) will last much longer if i keep using it and it is now my heaviest piece of kit by far. But I think maybe i need to upgrade or is this the best pack for a traverse?

Any thoughts or experiences with the Hyperlight are appreciated.

Cheers
gonebush
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: South Australia

Re: Hyperlight Junction for an Arthurs traverse

Postby north-north-west » Sun 28 Aug, 2022 4:53 pm

Anything you take through the Arthurs has to be able to cope with the occasional pack-haul and maybe a bit of scrub. But as long as you're careful around the rocks, I don't see why a Dyneema pack wouldn't work. From my limited experience, the material is more durable than expected.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby CBee » Sun 28 Aug, 2022 7:04 pm

I did the WAs with an HMG southwest 3400. Never had to do pack hauling except passing packs through the hole before Mt.Pegasus summit. Some scrub bashing in the plains, trying to explore creek banks for wading the floods. The side pockets were damaged from thick scrub. Also the front pocket managed to get a hole. I fixed all tears myself. I never loaded it more than 18Kg for a 7 day hike, but I find it very comfortable despite being a minimalist and lightweight pack. I'm thinking of taking this to Federation Peak. To me the weak points are the side pockets, but I once had one of those Osprey everyone raved about and I destroyed the mesh in a couple of trips. I would try not to use the external pockets for heavy or sharp objects.
CBee
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby north-north-west » Mon 29 Aug, 2022 8:18 am

CBee wrote: To me the weak points are the side pockets...

Same with my Catalyst. The rest of the pack is fine, but I've had to patch both pockets twice. Which is why I've been wondering about using the stretch fabric on them - at least when they're emptier (on sidetrips from camp) they'll sit in closer and be less likely to snag on things.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby gonebush » Mon 29 Aug, 2022 8:22 am

north-north-west wrote:Anything you take through the Arthurs has to be able to cope with the occasional pack-haul and maybe a bit of scrub. But as long as you're careful around the rocks, I don't see why a Dyneema pack wouldn't work. From my limited experience, the material is more durable than expected.

Thanks NNW. They do have two thicknesses of Dyneema (50D and 150D). The 150D is only 70 grams heavier I think, but it is black and I like the idea of being able to partly see through the white 50D material.
cheers
gonebush
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby gonebush » Mon 29 Aug, 2022 8:28 am

Thanks CBee, that is great information.

I prefer to have everything internal so don't normally have a lot of trouble with the pockets. I was thinking with the roll top closure as a first for me, that it would be good to have somewhere to stuff a rain jacket or wet gear without having to open the pack. Maybe I should avoid the mesh front pocket on the Junction and stick with the solid pockets on the southwest.
Thanks
gonebush
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby headwerkn » Mon 29 Aug, 2022 1:15 pm

I've taken my 3400 Junction on the Western Arthurs and Federation/Geeves and it was more than up for the task in both instances (along with numerous others).

I think they're an ideal pack for such technical/vertically oriented trips. Light but able to still handle a decent amount of weight for a week-long-plus trip, but they also locate their centre of gravity nice and close to your back, which I found improves your confidence when dealing with steep descents and hanging off the tangle of vegetation throughout the Beggary Bumps, Moss Ridge etc. They're also the most comfortable pack I've ever used up to about 19-20kg.

Usefully, DCF doesn't absorb water, so when subjected to multiple showers over the course of a longer trip (very likely any time of year in the southwest) the pack won't gain additional weight. Everyone else on the WA trip was complaining about how their packs weren't getting any lighter despite munching through their food ;-) A year later they'd all ditched their trad nylon-canvas packs!

Like CBee I found I didn't have to pack haul on the WA except through the 'hole' up Mt Pegasus (too small to fit with a pack on) but my partner just used a pack cover to protect her Southwest the few times we lowered it on a rope. The hip pockets were the first point to show real wear, though its taken over two years and a lot of off-track scrub bashing abuse to get to the point where I'm going to have to reface the outer material with another layer in the next few months. Considering I've killed the hip pockets on Arcteryx and Ortlieb packs within a few trips previously, I consider that pretty good going. Ironically the back mesh is still perfect, despite figuring it'd be the first part to get damaged - I suppose it's just more out of the way than the hip pockets.

I *think* the Junction's mesh back pocket is somewhat bigger than the solid pocket of the Southwest, if that helps. Other option is to go for the Porter and its dedicated back pocket accessory. I'd like to get a bigger Porter pack eventually for packraft/ski trips, when funds allow.

Other than cost and availability, the only negative really is a sweaty back: walkers used to mesh-suspension-style harnesses mightn't like it. IMHO not having a pendulum swinging off your back is much more useful hanging off the side of a mountain.
headwerkn

Postby CBee » Mon 29 Aug, 2022 3:47 pm

Well written, headwerkn. And yes, gonebush, I use the external pocket only for rain jacket and dirty stuff such tent footprint (and maybe a bladder with collected water), but everything else stays inside. Personally, if I have to buy another one again, I'll go for the porter or even better the ice pack, for my style of hiking and terrain I do.
CBee

Postby gonebush » Thu 01 Sep, 2022 8:19 am

That is great information thanks Headwrkn and Cbee.

I appreciate the info and my main question about durability and suitability is definitely answered. I will have a look at the porter as well.

Can I ask where you got your pack from. I’m aware of stockists in Katoomba and Melbourne and not sure if there are others in Aus.

Cheers
gonebush
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby headwerkn » Fri 02 Sep, 2022 1:35 pm

Adventure Base or Packraft Australia. I got my Junction direct from HMG (it's not a "regular" model.. or wasn't at the time) however international shipping now from them is utterly ridiculous (US$150-US$200 for a pack and a couple of accessories) so between that and the falling Aussie dollar, the minor mark-up local distributors charge will still have you ahead (and delivered to your door sooner too!).

CBee wrote: I use the external pocket only for rain jacket and dirty stuff such tent footprint

I use mine for our tents, which are compact enough to fit in a tyvek 'envelope' made to suit the back pocket's dimensions and secured with mini carabiner (though it wouldn't fall out even if I was upside down for a week). Alas, the winter tent won't quite fit as neatly.
headwerkn

Postby CBee » Fri 02 Sep, 2022 3:04 pm

gonebush wrote:Can I ask where you got your pack from. I’m aware of stockists in Katoomba and Melbourne and not sure if there are others in Aus.
Cheers

Got mine, the black one, from their site, time ago. They had a special and was reasonably cheaper (than usual).
CBee

Postby CBee » Fri 02 Sep, 2022 3:09 pm

The problem is, when tackling terrain such Farmhouse creek or similar, I don't want to have items bulging out of the pack because they get caught. Also you don't want to have a pack taller than your head and the roll top feature for me is a must for a pack. Also the fact that doesn't absorb water. But it is on the expensive side, agree.
CBee

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Sun 04 Sep, 2022 5:36 pm

headwerkn wrote:Adventure Base or Packraft Australia. I got my Junction direct from HMG (it's not a "regular" model.. or wasn't at the time) however international shipping now from them is utterly ridiculous (US$150-US$200 for a pack and a couple of accessories) so between that and the falling Aussie dollar, the minor mark-up local distributors charge will still have you ahead (and delivered to your door sooner too!).

CBee wrote: I use the external pocket only for rain jacket and dirty stuff such tent footprint

I use mine for our tents, which are compact enough to fit in a tyvek 'envelope' made to suit the back pocket's dimensions and secured with mini carabiner (though it wouldn't fall out even if I was upside down for a week). Alas, the winter tent won't quite fit as neatly.
Tom's Outdoors in Tumut stock hmg gear as well

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby headwerkn » Tue 06 Sep, 2022 11:29 am

CBee wrote:The problem is, when tackling terrain such Farmhouse creek or similar, I don't want to have items bulging out of the pack because they get caught.

Agreed in theory, though in practice the rear pocket on HMGs are well out of the way. As I said earlier, I expected the open mesh of the Junction to be the first point of failure, but it barely shows any wear at all. Due to its location it's simply not getting caught up in vegetation. Again, I stress here I'm talking about a very compact Tarptent, packed into a flattish square - it doesn't stick out much. Things put in side pockets are much more at risk from passing scrub. I've certainly lost a few things over the years from having too much packed into the sides of packs. Though I would add this has almost always happened when totally off track, and the HMG's side pockets are deeper and seem to be better protected than previous backpacks I've owned. Or I've just become smarter in regards to what I put in there these days (water bottles and a Salomon quiver with my poles, snow peg/trowel and an action cam stick/tripod).

CBee wrote:Also you don't want to have a pack taller than your head and the roll top feature for me is a must for a pack.

+1 for rolltops. The ability to compress DOWN your pack and have it slowly shrink to suit as you eat through your food cannot be overstated. As is the ability to have it quickly expand when you just want to throw in a bunch of clothes on top. I don't think I could go back to a 'traditional' top-brain style hiking pack either!
headwerkn

Postby gonebush » Tue 06 Sep, 2022 9:01 pm

Walk_fat boy_walk wrote:Tom's Outdoors in Tumut stock hmg gear as well

Thanks for the info.
gonebush
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby gonebush » Tue 06 Sep, 2022 10:14 pm

headwerkn wrote:
CBee wrote:Also you don't want to have a pack taller than your head and the roll top feature for me is a must for a pack.

+1 for rolltops. The ability to compress DOWN your pack and have it slowly shrink to suit as you eat through your food cannot be overstated. As is the ability to have it quickly expand when you just want to throw in a bunch of clothes on top. I don't think I could go back to a 'traditional' top-brain style hiking pack either!

I think this will be a real positive for me. My current Macpac, is not full very often these days and so the top of the pack doesn’t sit well and still gets caught in overhanging trees.
gonebush
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby rustyjus » Thu 08 Sep, 2022 8:58 pm

I imagine most decent packs will last a couple of weeks in the Aussie bush but
I can attest that HMG packs would be more than suitable for the job.
Its a bonded dyneema with polyester so it is quite tough and water proof.
If youre bush bashing ....it might be worth getting the south west as it has a solid back pocket so it won't snag,
rustyjus
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to Ultralight backpacking