Emergency shelter for NZ

Forum rules
Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Emergency shelter for NZ

Postby Ground parrot » Mon 25 Mar, 2024 6:18 pm

I previously posted here for some advice on south island tracks. My partner and I have decided to do the Greenstone-Caples after the Milford track in mid-late April (although if we are feeling up to it, and if the weather is good, and if we can get a booking at Siberia Hut we may switch from Greenstone-Caples to Gillespie Pass).

What kind of emergency shelter set-up should we take for these walks given they are hut-based?

I was thinking of taking the footprint and fly only of our Mont Moondance FN 2P (plus SOL emergency bivy) and leaving behind the tent inner and sleeping mats. That would provide adequate daytime shelter to wait for unpassable streams to go down, but if we needed to wait it out overnight it would be problematic (particularly without sleeping mats). The answer to this question may depend on the weather forecast.

But if the huts are full then this setup would also present a problem. Milford we have bookings, which guarantees bunk space, but Greenstone-Caples and Gillespie Pass don't require bookings (except Siberia hut), which could lead to the huts being full when we get there and needing to camp. Having said that, we are going at the end of the shoulder season when things should be quieter and better chance of hut space.

We normally carry the full kit but I'm looking to save weight on hut-based walks while being safe. Any advice welcome.
Ground parrot
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Northern Territory

Re: Emergency shelter for NZ

Postby myrtlegirl » Mon 25 Mar, 2024 6:29 pm

As you've noted, safety is your big concern.

Don't underestimate the importance of comfort though. I've noticed well-known tracks can be full to bursting till quite late in the season nowadays. If you turned up at a hut and there was no space, just imagine what a crap night you'd have even if the weather wasn't bad. A crap night can lead to poor walking the next day with greater chance of putting your foot down wrong and wrenching an ankle.

Having said that, space on the floor of a hut is a possibility.
myrtlegirl
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Ground parrot » Mon 25 Mar, 2024 6:57 pm

Thanks myrtlegirl! Do you know whether the huts are likely to be full in NZ at that time? I think my hesitation about carrying a full tent etc comes from lugging it around on the Dusky track. Given the huts and 3 wire bridges if I did it again I'd leave it at home.
Ground parrot
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Moh » Mon 25 Mar, 2024 7:13 pm

Many years ago, I walked the Gillespie pass circuit in late Feb. Pleasantly, we shared the trail with a few Kiwi families and the huts were not full. A week later I was over at Dart Hut, full of fellow international tourists with the hut overflowing & the ranger offering a hot shower to anyone who had a tent that could camp instead. My experience is that popular huts that frequently suffer from being over-capacity also tend to have extra mattresses that can be used on the floor of the common area (or even the verandahs) to allow them to flex when needed.

Even though I found the Gillespie Circuit was far less popular than other nearby trails close to Queenstown, you can increase your chances of a bunk by making sure you avoid the Anzac Day long weekend (and dates either side), and if possible, avoid weekends all together and undertake the walk during work days.

It's a fantastic circuit.

Moh.
Moh
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby Ground parrot » Mon 25 Mar, 2024 7:50 pm

Thanks Moh! We are unfortunately hiking around Anzac day but I've since looked at the bookings for Siberia Hut which gives a bit of an indication for numbers on the circuit. I've gone ahead and reserved a couple of nights - it looks fairly empty the first night we will be there, and almost booked out the second night, but apart from that hopefully we will be a day ahead of the pack.
Ground parrot
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby WestcoastPete » Tue 26 Mar, 2024 8:41 am

An important thing to consider in NZ is midgies. You could end up really missing the tent inner if you ended up needing to camp.

https://www.instagram.com/p/zTYUtMyKKS/
WestcoastPete
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby wayno » Tue 26 Mar, 2024 9:37 am

It can rain a lot . If using tarp . Take a bivy bag. As well
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Moh » Tue 26 Mar, 2024 9:10 pm

Ground parrot wrote:. I've gone ahead and reserved a couple of nights

This is a good video of the circuit if you are interested https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RjC-Xs ... I&index=21
Moh
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby bernieq » Wed 27 Mar, 2024 10:48 am

Really, take a tent.

It's not just full huts that might be an issue. Rivers rise, accidents occur, often when the wx is bad. With a tent, you can have protection (from cold, rain, snow, sandflies, ...) while waiting it out or waiting for rescue (and take a PLB - just good insurance).

NZ huts really are a terrific resource but a crowded hut is a pita for sleeping.

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Return to New Zealand