Six Foot Track Transfers

Chatting about the Six Foot Track

Six Foot Track Transfers

Postby sarahpf » Wed 10 Nov, 2021 6:24 pm

Hi, I'm looking into doing the 6 foot track end of Dec/early Jan but hitting a bit of wall with transfers from Jenolan Caves back to Katoomba. Seems to be that most companies aren't running transfers as the Jenolan Caves Road is still shut. A few places have indicated that they can do a transfer but are charging a flat fee for the transfer. As a group of two, the flat fee ($500+) makes it a very expensive transfer for us. Has anyone had an luck with transfers charging per head, or is anyone planning to do the track around a similar time and is happy to consider sharing a flat fee transfer?
sarahpf
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Six Foot Track Transfers

Postby ribuck » Wed 10 Nov, 2021 7:55 pm

Sometimes the cheapest and most practical way is to use two cars and leave one at each end, i.e. a "car shuffle".
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Xplora » Thu 11 Nov, 2021 7:06 am

sarahpf wrote:Hi, I'm looking into doing the 6 foot track end of Dec/early Jan but hitting a bit of wall with transfers from Jenolan Caves back to Katoomba. Seems to be that most companies aren't running transfers as the Jenolan Caves Road is still shut. A few places have indicated that they can do a transfer but are charging a flat fee for the transfer. As a group of two, the flat fee ($500+) makes it a very expensive transfer for us. Has anyone had an luck with transfers charging per head, or is anyone planning to do the track around a similar time and is happy to consider sharing a flat fee transfer?

This is a common question on the 6 foot track thread and there is no answer other than Roger's or my answer which is to just walk back. My answer may not be the most practical but I can see how it could be hard for some who may not have two cars. Nearly a day is wasted doing the car shuttle thing so it would take a day more than that to walk it back (considering it is only a two day walk one way). You can stay pretty cheap in the bunk house accommodation at Caves house if it is still available and there are cooking facilities.

You could pay a friend to drive you out and they could do a cave tour also if inclined and you can leave your car at Katoomba. Unfortunately there is no easy answer but this forum does have a section for you to post a request https://bushwalk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=4

And welcome to the forum.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GregG » Thu 11 Nov, 2021 10:36 am

And another thing: if you are coming to NSW specifically to walk the Six Foot Track you might be disappointed as a lot of it is fairly average at best. There are much better walks in the Blue Mountains IMHO. Just saying.
GregG
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Old bushie
Region: New South Wales

Postby Xplora » Fri 12 Nov, 2021 6:27 am

GregG wrote:And another thing: if you are coming to NSW specifically to walk the Six Foot Track you might be disappointed as a lot of it is fairly average at best. There are much better walks in the Blue Mountains IMHO. Just saying.

I agree. January is also a very horrible time to do it. It is a good introduction to bushwalking walk and a nice run. Having taken many newbies on it, there are still some parts with great views and I was always surprised when a newbie would bring my attention to it. I had taken it for granted. Much would depend on a persons level of experience and that we don't know from the OP. Personally a couple of days going down into the Grose valley would be better and no need for a lift back.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GregG » Fri 12 Nov, 2021 9:24 am

Fair comment Xplora, level of exposure to bushwalking and fitness are factors in the equation for sure. I'm probably jaded by too many hot and dry slogs up Pluviometer Hill :)
GregG

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Old bushie

Postby Xplora » Sat 13 Nov, 2021 6:46 am

GregG wrote:Fair comment Xplora, level of exposure to bushwalking and fitness are factors in the equation for sure. I'm probably jaded by too many hot and dry slogs up Pluviometer Hill :)

No need to explain it to me. I totally understand. Having run it many times I have come to learn the Pluvi hill is actually not the killer. It is the next 9km on Black Range. That is where most people have trouble in the run. Cramps set it. Black Range is for me the worst of the whole walk either direction. My partner and I had a stupid idea once to do the whole track there and back in a day. How hard could it be? We found out. I have retired from that now.

If you are a serious and experienced bushwalker and want to see the best the Blue Mtns has to offer but have limited time, I would also suggest you find another walk.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lizz » Tue 14 Dec, 2021 11:18 am

Hi @Sarahpf, I am interested and am planning to do the walk around the same time. I live locally so can be somewhat flexible in my timing. Let me know if you’re still up for it. Cheers, Liz
Lizz
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Six Foot Track