Desktop version
Chatting about the Six Foot Track
Post a reply

Is it possible to 2wd car camp the 6 foot track?

Mon 19 Mar, 2018 1:07 am

Hi Team

Is it possible to 2wd car camp the 6 foot track?

My regular bushwalking buddy is walking the six foot track next month. We were planning to do it together as her first multi day hike but I have stuffed my knee and I am not able to walk that distance with her. I have looked at track notes and I know I can get to the Old Ford campground, park the car and walk the 7ish kilometres to the Coxs River camping area and meet my friend. Next day I walk back to car while she walks to the Black Range campground and I will drive to meet her. Third day I drive to Jenolan and meet her at the end, drinking beer while waiting...

How bad are the roads to the Old Ford Campground and the Black Range campground? Is my plan doable?

the

Re: Is it possible to 2wd car camp the 6 foot track?

Mon 19 Mar, 2018 5:02 am

It is possible to get to the Black Range camp by 2wd. It is a dirt road and usually in good condition because of the nearby pine forests. Your knee may struggle with some of the walk from Megalong Road. Bits of ups and downs and some steps. It should only take a couple of hours (give or take) in. The road is tar to Old Ford reserve and easy past there to where the track crosses it. Drinking beer at Jenolan caves may raise some eyebrows. People may think you have a problem starting in the morning. Be aware of that the Jenolan caves road may have some traffic restrictions and you could be following lots of very slow buses in the morning. To leave you may have to go via Edith depending on the time. You should at least have a cold beer waiting for your friend at Black Range camp. You should have about 4 hours to kill waiting so don't drink them all.

Tue 17 Apr, 2018 8:42 am

Jackattack, was wondering if you and your friend had done this trip yet?
As you know, I mostly solo walk (although thanks to the pack I bought from you, offspring had a great first overnighter and may be hooked now) but am looking at tracks that could have my husband meet me on his road registered dirt bike. Our anniversary is coming up in a few months and I am trying to be crafty and make whatever we do be something I want to do, while also making it fun for him :lol:
Would be interested to see how accessing Cox's River went for you.

Tue 17 Apr, 2018 11:20 am

2wd cars can get to Cox's river campground, it'll be slow going but it's not that bad, you wouldn't want something low with low profile tyres though. I was down there during the Easter break, plenty of Corollas and other small 2wd cars in there.
I did a 'supported' hike for my wife and her friend, who are new to walking, I'd drive ahead and set up camp while they walked to the next camp site. I didn't go to alum creek but it looked like you could drive to it as well. Back Range is also accessible via fire trail.

Tue 17 Apr, 2018 2:50 pm

Hi MsMudd

I have not done this walk yet, coming up in a few weeks - I will let you know outcome.

Tue 17 Apr, 2018 2:52 pm

Chunder fuzz wrote:2wd cars can get to Cox's river campground, it'll be slow going but it's not that bad, you wouldn't want something low with low profile tyres though. I was down there during the Easter break, plenty of Corollas and other small 2wd cars in there.
I did a 'supported' hike for my wife and her friend, who are new to walking, I'd drive ahead and set up camp while they walked to the next camp site. I didn't go to alum creek but it looked like you could drive to it as well. Back Range is also accessible via fire trail.

Hi chuder Fuzz, I have a ford focus and do hit the trails probably more technical then it should go on. I feel if a corolla can make it, I should be if weather is ok.

However I am wanting some walking as well - a good option to keep in pocket knowing I may be able to drive or walk.

Cheers - Jack

Wed 18 Apr, 2018 8:20 am

Chunder fuzz wrote:2wd cars can get to Cox's river campground, it'll be slow going but it's not that bad, you wouldn't want something low with low profile tyres though. I was down there during the Easter break, plenty of Corollas and other small 2wd cars in there.
\\.

Tops! Thanks Chunder Fuzz. Sounds like accessing with his moto will be fine, but I daresay he will drive the 4wd in at each point. How else will he get his 2.5kg sleeping bag and 8kg mat into camp? :roll: :lol:

Hope you have a great trip Jackattack, look forward to hearing what you and your friend think of the track.

Thu 03 May, 2018 6:01 am

Ok, I am back from supporting my friend as she hiked the Six Foot track.

I took a 2wd , 4 cyclinder, 2.0 litre , 5 speed manual hatch back to the Coxs River Campground and the Black Range campground. It is possible to get in and out on the access Roads to the Coxs River Campground in a 2wd car because I have done it. I DO NOT RECOMMEND driving a 2wd car to the Cox River Camp Ground and won't be doing it again. Definitely do not do after a lot of rain, during rain or at night.

Black Range is easy to get to by car. I did not go looking for the Alum Creek Campground.

Sat 19 May, 2018 4:51 pm

Sounds like the Focus got a good workout!
Thanks for the info re:access
Post a reply