Best time to go

Chatting about the Six Foot Track

Best time to go

Postby smonk6 » Tue 02 Jan, 2024 4:35 pm

Hi just wanting to know if there is a better time of year to do the track?
smonk6
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: Best time to go

Postby johnw » Wed 03 Jan, 2024 4:41 pm

Personally I don't like the heat, so would not recommend walking it in height of summer. A lot of it is on open fire/management/forestry trails with little shade. If walking in the direction from Katoomba to Jenolan I can't even bear to think about climbing the Black Range in the heat (YMMV). My picks would be either autumn or spring. It can be very cold in the mountains in winter although I have camped out during winter on occasion without any problems. The usual campsites are fairly sheltered so that may not be an issue if you have warm gear. As part of your planning please also check the status of the track and your return, or outbound, transport options (public transport options were between zero and extremely limited the last time I checked). The track has been subject to various closures in the past couple of years due to fire and weather damage. I don't know if full access has yet been restored. The Bowtells Swing Bridge crossing over the Coxs River has/had been closed for some time for either repair or replacement and I don't know if that work has been completed yet. They were advising not to cross the Coxs R. elsewhere for safety reasons. I don't know if that's a liability issue or if there are genuine concerns.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Return to Six Foot Track