Google Street View for 25 national parks in NSW

Bushwalking NSW is the peak body representing the interests of bushwalkers and their clubs. This is the official public forum for the organisation and a great place to share ideas, help out and discuss concerns.

Google Street View for 25 national parks in NSW

Postby bushwalkingnsw » Tue 18 Nov, 2014 9:44 am

Some of the most beautiful and remote parks of New South Wales can now be seen from the comfort of your laptop thanks to an incredible new version of Google Street View, which takes you trekking through 25 of the state’s National Parks.

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/now-you-can-go-bushwalking-in-nsw-at-your-desk-with-a-cool-new-national-parks-site-google-trekker-2014-11
Bushwalking NSW Inc
http://bushwalkingnsw.org.au
bushwalkingnsw
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bushwalking NSW Inc
Region: New South Wales

Re: Google Street View for 25 national parks in NSW

Postby tastrax » Tue 18 Nov, 2014 10:42 am

Now all the armchair walkers can become experts! :lol: :lol: :lol: Been there, done that, ticked it off the list.
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service
Region: Tasmania

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 18 Nov, 2014 11:07 am

Runs really slow on my browser. Will be faster to complete on two legs...
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Tue 18 Nov, 2014 12:44 pm

I remember seeing a story about this on Channel Nine News last week and forgot to follow it up. Yes I found the site a bit slow also but still usable. Without wanting to throw the baby out with the bath water, I guess it could have some potential uses. I'm sure there will be the armchair brigade who'll happily now find yet another excuse to never leave the house. But for less mobile people or with a disability it may extend options to visualise things that may otherwise be difficult to achieve independently.

That said I'm not sure about the choice of material in some cases. In Royal NP Wattamolla would have been fairly low on my priority list. Yes, it's scenic and popular, but it's a beach with picnic area that you drive into. Hard to describe that as trekking. And two of the panoramas are of the car park! It's early days so hopefully it will build over time.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby davidmorr » Tue 18 Nov, 2014 12:57 pm

Matt McLelland from http://wildwalks.com has been doing something similar. I think he is up to V2 of his gear. I guess it is on Wildwalks somewhere, but I have not yet seen it.
This post is copyright by davidmorr. Permission to reproduce elsewhere may be granted on application. Please PM me for details.
davidmorr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Strider » Tue 18 Nov, 2014 1:41 pm

davidmorr wrote:Matt McLelland from http://wildwalks.com has been doing something similar. I think he is up to V2 of his gear. I guess it is on Wildwalks somewhere, but I have not yet seen it.

Matt also owns and runs these forums. I'm sure he has posted about it here somewhere...
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Return to Bushwalking NSW Inc.