One Planet Sleeping Bag - Bungle -10

A place to share systematic reviews of bushwalking equipment, services and idea.
Forum rules
Forum rules
This is a place to share fair and systematic reviews of gear. Share the good, bad and ugly as well as including how you tested it and reviewed the gear. This is not the place to carry on about a bit of gear that failed, sometimes good gear has a lemon - this is more about systematic reviews. Although this can be a way to help gear manufactures with feedback, this is not the place to hassle them or ask for money back.

Start each thread with
[tag]Brand, product, RRP in AUD. The tags have two parts the type of gear and type of testing/review. eg
[Sleeping bag | Unboxing] Kmart Summit Hooded $29
[Stove | Field test]Jetboil, flash $150

Suggested review types. Unboxing, field test, 1 year on, stress test, teardown.
If someone else has already reviewed the same product in a similar method then please use the initial thread to include your review. Please note if the gear was provide to you for free, loan, discount or if you paid full RRP.

One Planet Sleeping Bag - Bungle -10

Postby LuxLuthor05 » Tue 02 May, 2017 2:49 pm

Hi all,

I am going to try my hand at a gear review for the first time. I have not yet had a chance to get my new sleeping bag out on the tracks, so this review will come in multiple parts, the first of which is my initial hands on. Seeing as I am I work with a slow twelve hour day ahead of me, I am going to be as thorough as I can... If you don't like reading, then you should probably stop here :P.

After extensive research, I made the decisions to purchase a One Planet Bungle -10 sleeping bag in mid-April this year. This was after checking out all of the competition that seemed relevant to my needs, including Western Mountaineering, Sea to Summit, Mont, One Planet, and Nemo.

I quickly figured out that Western Mountaineering was a touch above the budget I had set, and the Mont bags seemed to be much of a muchness with One Planet and Sea to Summit, considering the comparatively high Mont price-point. Nemo seemed to me to be using a gimmicky shape for their bags, and this quickly reduced my confidence in their bags, so for my own peace of mind I steered clear of Nemo (I am aware that they may be considered a good bag, but I am quite picky, shame on me). This brought my options down to three bags: One Planet Bushlite -11, One Planet Bungle -10, and Sea to Summit LtII -9.

After asking a few Bushwalk Australia members for advice, as well as applying my own experience and the knowledge and advice of One Planet staff and Paddy Pallin staff, I decided on the One Planet Bungle -10... the fact that they offer to boost the bag fill down the track if I need to use it in colder conditions, was a fairly major convincing factor for me, and my partner and I decided that she would get the Sea to Summit LtIII -17 (she sleeps a lot colder, and they make the bag in a short version which suits her height), and I would get the One Planet Bungle -10. We figured that worst case scenario, we end up having experience of both brands for the next time we need to purchase. It is worth noting that the staff at One Planet were by far the most helpful in terms of advice they could offer surrounding my purchase decisions. They seemed to be more focused on the end user experience, rather than making the most money. I say this because when I asked about the more expensive Bushlite bag, they actually steered me towards the cheaper Bungle. This is in contrast to the staff at Mont, who seemed to want me to buy the most expensive bags they had, even if they may not necessarily be the most suitable for my needs. I always feel unsure as to the credibility of sales advice, when the salesperson seems to want me to spend the most money, rather than have the best product experience. Ben's email explanations surrounding advice he was offering, were perhaps the best I have ever encountered... Well done Ben! Amazingly helpful! Ben always seemed to reply by the end of the day as well, which is helpful for a guy like me who wants information ASAP.

The Bungle was the only bag that did not advertise any kind of water repellency on the shell, however Ben at One Planet assured me that the shell DOES have a DWR treatment in it, and this can be renewed when washing, whereas the more durable Pertex on the Bushlite apparently CANNOT be renewed. I feel that OP should consider advertising the DWR characteristics of the shell (perhaps they are worried this would steer more people away from the Bushlite with its Pertex shell? Who knows...). Moving on... the ability to maintain the repellency characteristics of the bag was a big plus. The added breathability of the Bungle seemed to make it the appropriate choice for me, seeing as I am moving from ACT the Qld later this year, and will rarely need the full capabilities of the bag when in Qld conditions (I am likely to not use a bag at all on warmer nights anyway).

Before ordering, I took a day trip down to my nearest OP stockiest in Cooma NSW. I had a look at the Bungle they had on display, which turned out to be an old, heavier model. I was satisfied that all the materials used seemed to be of high quality, and the bag seemed very solid. Other than these pluses, I did notice some inconsistencies with stitching of the baffles, zips, etc. These were nothing more that poorly tied off threads, crooked stitching in areas that normally should have a straight and even stitch, and various loose threads. Whilst such issues shouldn't in any way affect the durability or performance of the bag, they are issues that can be easily avoided, and issues that I never noticed on the alternative brands such as S2S or Mont (I returned to Mont and Paddy Pallin to check whether S2S or Mont were plagued by any such issues, and found none). When I contacted Ben at One Planet about this, he replied:

"It sounds like a rare case, and may have been an older model bag, which may have been sitting in store for some time. I’ll make contact with staff at Blue Sky Outdoors and confirm the case. Then request the bag be recalled back to us to be serviced and reviewed. This kind of thing is rare within our company and I’m actually quite surprised to hear it. Each bag is checked thoroughly on its way out after its been hand filled and stitched, this is a keen part of our process, especially as one of the last companies to do any sleeping bag manufacturing within Australia."

I was satisfied with this response, as it sounded as if it were being taken seriously. I went ahead and ordered my bag. Ordered on the 18th April, I had the bag on the 24th April before ANZAC Day! I thought this was an incredibly quick turnaround, considering the bags are made to order. It arrived well packaged, and they even took the effort of adding a piece of cardboard in the box to avoid any box opening damage to the bag. Kudos to OP for all of this. The bag came with a large storage sack to prevent damage to the down during storage, a highly durable feeling compression bag (the best out of all the bags I looked at), and even a decent quality luggage tag (nice touch, guys). The compression bag feels somewhat ‘heavy duty’, and I’m sure could be replaced with a lighter weight aftermarket compression bag if you are a true gram counter, but I will be using the original one, as it feels like it will provide much better protection than any other I have looked at… another kudos to OP!

As for the sleeping bag itself, I could tell immediately that the materials used were of high quality. The 15 Denier 'Vapour Vent' fabric they use felt strong in hand, despite being so thin and light. The fabric seems to have the SLIGHTEST of stretch to it, which makes me feel that I am much less likely to place any undue strain on stitching points when moving around in the bag. As advertised, the ‘Vapour Vent’ weave is very tight, which I feel will ensure that no down can escape, which is exactly what OP claim. The fit of the bag for me is fantastic... There is enough room inside that no part of me feels overly restricted, but there is not so much room that I might be sacrificing vital body heat. As with many bags, it has two draw-cords (one for your shoulders, and one for your face). The one for your shoulders is elastic, seemingly to allow movement while you sleep. The one for your face is solid feeling string/rope. The Bungle has an internal 'safe-keeping' pocket, the keep whatever you like safe while you sleep (batteries to keep them from discharging in the cold, passport if you are worried somebody might rummage through your rucksack while you sleep etc). On this pocket, they have clearly printed concise care instructions for the bag... another nice touch. The zip for the pocket folds down flat with a confidence inducing 'click and lock' feel, and tucks away neatly under some fabric, so that it won't scratch you while you sleep.. Very nice! The foot box has its own zip, which is great for those of us who get clammy feet, but like to keep our torso warm (such as myself). The foot box is also an actual ‘box’, rather than the old fashioned style which allowed too much down to be compressed by the feet, allowing feet to get cold. The main (full length) zip features a glow-in-the-dark pull tab, which will hopefully reduce the frequency with which my partner is rudely woken to me cursing when I can't find the zip during those late night emergencies! The bag packs up so tiny and light in its compression bag, and is VERY easy to pack. I actually weighed the bag, and (provided my ye olde kitchen scales are correct), it measured at exactly the weight they claimed it would, down to the very gram. Very impressive! In saying this, the down they used for my bag was apparently 785 loft, meaning the bag SHOULD be a bit lighter than quoted spec, but as with all natural materials, margin for error is quite liberal, and I have no issues at all with such a small and unavoidable discrepancy.

Now to the unfortunate negatives that I must add:
Despite Bens assurance that the stitching problems were rare and surprising, I found that this bag actually had even more such issues than the older model demo bag I saw. On my new Bungle, I was disappointed to find that the person who assembled the shell seemed to have had difficulty in maintaining a straight stitch (where the zip is attached to the bag), as the stitch line varies in positioning by a factor of around 400% in some areas – that is, the stitch goes from the very edge of the fabric, to four or five times further away in some areas... I would consider it fairly standard to have a little bit of room for error, (and even so, I am not overly concerned... the issue seems relatively minor in the scheme of things) however varying the spacing of the stitch by this much does not seem normal. This is the second bag (out of two) that I have seen with this issue, I am losing faith in Bens. I also found large variations in how stitches were tied off at the ends, some ending with a neat standard 'back and forth style' tie off, and others being tied of in a messy 'bur' type ball, the kind of which I recall accidentally doing on a seventh grade high school sewing project (and losing marks because of it). In other areas, I found many long loose thread ends (this is fine... I am happy to just snip them as they normally would during manufacturing).... Although some of these loose threads were actually firmly attached at BOTH ends of the thread, with no way of knowing whether cutting it might causing the stitching to unravel, or cause other nasty surprises like internal baffles separating etc.... the worst of these double ended thread loops was on the inside of the bag, right at hand height... I could not lie in the bag with catching my fingers on the multiple loops. This particular issue seemed highly unusual for a $479 product, after being told that these issues are very rare and “surprising”. I would have ignored the discrepancies altogether, except that OP made it clear that they did not consider this standard, by contrast he had told me it was very rare and surprising… this suggests to me that I may be the only customer who has received a bag with such issues, and that such issues should not by any means be considered ‘standard’.

I began thinking perhaps I have just been unlucky, and managed to find the only two bags with these issues... So seeing as they seemed to take the first quality control issue quite seriously, I decided I would I make contact with OP regarding the issue - I sent them an email to see how they feel about the issues being reported in a second bag, and to find out how they suggest I deal with the thread loops. Their response came four days later (including the weekend), so not too bad, but it only came after I sent a second email "Just wondering whether there has been any progress regarding my question" etc. This was very different to their usual response speed. Perhaps I was no longer a priority, as they had already sold me something? Who knows.

The response to this was from Ian, not Ben. Ian simply told me that I can snip the thread loops... easy. Ian did offer the option of having the bag returned to them for the loose threads to be cut, however I thought this would be unnecessary (as I'm sure many will agree). He also mentioned that if any problems occur from snipping the threads, I can return it to One Planet. He said that the photos I sent of the stitching issues would be passed through to Andrew for 'discussion'. I presume he is referring to Andrew King, the company director. Andrew is another man who was extremely helpful the first time I contacted One Planet, and he was the one who initially steered me away from the more expensive bag, and on to the Bungle. I have been told by One Planet that I should not expect any response from Andrew regarding these issues. Seeing as One Planet themselves had led me to believe that such issues are not considered normal, I feel that simply dropping the issue like this is not appropriate.

I understand that the above sorts of quality control issues can and do occur when shifting manufacturing overseas (the sleeping bag shells are manufactured in China, according to Ian)... I strongly believe in giving companies the chance to respond to and fix any issues that occur, rather than expecting the issues to never occur in the first place. As is pointed out in the forum rules here “sometimes good gear has a lemon”, and I believe that rather than judging a company for a one off “lemon”, a company should be judged for the way it handles the issue. In this instance, I feel the handling of this matter was inadequate considering what I had been led to believe about the product prior to purchase.

I was very keen to buy from an Australian company, and really hope that Australian companies like this continue to thrive, but this can only happen if we as consumers can maintain a reasonable level of faith in companies and the information they provide about their products.

I'm really looking forward to getting this bag out on (and off) the tracks, and as mentioned earlier, I will add to this when I get to that.

EDIT: I will take more photos of the bag itself tonight and post them up for you guys. I haven't got any yet, I had only taken photos of the issues for the purpose of sending to One Planet. Rest assured, it is a very good looking bag!
Attachments
ONE PLANET PHOTO 1.jpg
ONE PLANET PHOTO 2.jpg
ONE PLANET PHOTO 3.jpg
LuxLuthor05
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: One Planet Sleeping Bag - Bungle -10

Postby Strider » Tue 02 May, 2017 2:56 pm

Was there a question in there somewhere? I would return the bag to OP and request a refund or replacement. Thread loops aside, the stitching adjacent to the zip is not at all acceptable quality control (although my Tarptent Scarp shows a similar level of skill). If OP are not compliant you can take your case to the ACCC for resolution.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby LuxLuthor05 » Tue 02 May, 2017 4:33 pm

Strider wrote:I would return the bag to OP and request a refund or replacement.

It seems that in my contact with OP, the issue of the QC was understood by them to be based around loose threads, and they seemingly did not realize the relevance of the zipper stitching issues. After asking about a replacement, they seemed happy to oblige. I am now awaiting return forms.

I believed that a replacement should have been offered by them rather than requested by me, and apparently they had originally intended for this to be offered.... Ben has again assured me that these issues are extremely rare. Either way, I look forward to seeing how the replacement bag is.
LuxLuthor05
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby LuxLuthor05 » Thu 25 May, 2017 3:01 pm

LuxLuthor05 wrote:
Strider wrote:I would return the bag to OP and request a refund or replacement.

It seems that in my contact with OP, the issue of the QC was understood by them to be based around loose threads, and they seemingly did not realize the relevance of the zipper stitching issues. After asking about a replacement, they seemed happy to oblige. I am now awaiting return forms.

I believed that a replacement should have been offered by them rather than requested by me, and apparently they had originally intended for this to be offered.... Ben has again assured me that these issues are extremely rare. Either way, I look forward to seeing how the replacement bag is.

Okay, fast forward over a month since original purchase.

I was told a replacement would be fine, but no bags of matching spec would be available till August.... Not okay (goodbye to an entire winter of bushwalking :O). When I asked if there was ANY way at all that a matching bag might become available, I was told a firm no. At this, I simply asked to refund the bag - so that I might go elswewhere - Mont, S2S etc - which was answered promptly with an offer to see whether OPs Melbourne store had any matching bags sitting there (no idea why this wasn't originally offered...). I jumped at this, and OP returned with the affirmative that there was one bag there. I returned my faulty bag, and they sent out a replacement. The repolacement never arrived...... I had to drive around different ACT Post Offices trying to track the thing down. I finally located it, and found that the address had been written completely wrong (the address written did not exist). I took the package home, and opened it up to find the wrong bag inside... Immediately I called OP and was answered by Ben, who apologized and quickly established that they DID have the right bag there, and a mistake had been made when sending (phew.... the ONE appropriate bag was still there). He packed that bag up and sent it out (presumedly himself) the next morning. This was a big plus for service, as my now extensive experience with their mailing is that the mail collection occurs at 3pm... this time it was in a different location at closer to 9am. The package arrived overnight, at which time I sent the other bag back to them. OP made a big point about advertising the fact that their bags don't sit stored in their stuff sacks unlike other bands, and instead are made to order to avoid damage to the down that can occur during long term stuff sack storage. I was told that the bag that was being sent to me from their Melbourne store was only made on 1st May, and as such the storage in the stuff sack should not have caused much (if any) damage. I agreed to receive this bag, however upon receipt I found that the 1st May bag was the wrong spec, and the correct spec bag was in fact manufactured in March... This is not a big deal for me, but I want to be thorough for anybody that cares. By contrast, I know that S2S and Mont do NOT store their premade bags in stuff sacks, as I have seen them in their large safe storage sacks at every store that I have been to. So this puts OP behind those two options for careful product handling. I will not be contacting OP about the manufacture date error, as I really don't care... I'm just happy to have a bag for the winter.

Now for the important bit:
Both the second bags I received were of a good quality. Obviously, there will always been a component of human error - but the bags looked fantastic. Based on the manufacture quality of the second two bags, I would definitely recommend them to anybody who is after a quality, lightweight, good looking product. I will almost definitely be going with OP for my new rucksack that is in the works. Hoping to not have to replace my rucksack again for a few decades (based on reports from OP rucksack owners). I have attached images of the original sleeping bag for product reference (sorry that I didn't get around to posting them until now). I hope this information has been of some help..... The process of getting my sleeping bag was far too involved in the end, however mistakes do happen and it just shows the human side of things. The main thing for me is that they DID resolve the issue for me in the end.

One tip: For all you ultra-light people, don't forget that the bag weight listed by many manufacturers does NOT include the compression sack weight. This might be obvious to some, but I assumed that seeing as the bag weight is listed for people who care about how much things weigh in their pack, it would take into account the total packed weight. I was wrong.

Any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Attachments
1.jpg
Good looking bag. Sits a bit 'deflated', but keep in mind this -10° bag shell has the capacity to become -15° DOWN the track (get it? :P)
2.jpg
Genuine YKK zips. Moves freely as long as you have your anti zipsnag technique covered, cause the shell does snag on the zip a lot despite the anti-snag guard thingy
3.jpg
3D footbox does massively improve comfort and foot warmth... don't listen to the naysayers that accuse the 3D footbox of being superfluous extra weight
4.jpg
Velcro tab looks real nice, but does leave a bit to be desired when pulling it.... it feels like it required a gentle touch to avoid tearing the Velcro off the tab - Not sure why the Velcro couldn't have been sewn THROUGH the tab
5.jpg
Velcro tab again. Has All the bags details on it which will come in handy one day when I forget the specs :)
6.jpg
Footbox unzips to allow feet to breath.... I doubt I'll ever use this as my feet FREEZE, but it does form part of the full open duvet function
7.jpg
The main hood drawcord. For some reason, this uses two different types of cord on all the bags I received..... I prefer the notably better feeling 'One Planet' branded cord, but if it works it works!
8.jpg
The shoulder drawcord. This REALLY helps the bag stay warm.... I doubt I'll use this except as a last resort when it gets super cold, cause for me it makes a big difference in how much warmth is trapped in the bag
9.jpg
Zippered internal valuables pocket. The zip clicks down and tucks under the fabric, which will help avoid damaging any delicates I might be wearing (merino thermals, down jacket etc)
10.jpg
Zip neatly tucked away. Thorough care instructions permanently printed on the bag so I won't lose them :)
LuxLuthor05
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby sthughes » Thu 25 May, 2017 8:40 pm

Compressing down for extended periods won't degrade it (unless it's damp or dirty or whatever). It will simply mean that it takes a bit longer to loft when you do let it do so. How do you think Manufacturers store their down before pumping it into the sleeping bags?

This whole thread highlights the issues with stuff manufactured in China. Your quality control has to be very vigilant and OP might have slipped up with that here.

We have dozens of pieces of OP gear (inc. 2 bushlite sleeping bags) and the only thing I've been able to fault was a small stitching flaw in my 4midable shelter, which they immediately offered to replace.
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby LuxLuthor05 » Fri 26 May, 2017 10:41 am

sthughes wrote:Compressing down for extended periods won't degrade it (unless it's damp or dirty or whatever). It will simply mean that it takes a bit longer to loft when you do let it do so. How do you think Manufacturers store their down before pumping it into the sleeping bags?

This whole thread highlights the issues with stuff manufactured in China. Your quality control has to be very vigilant and OP might have slipped up with that here.

We have dozens of pieces of OP gear (inc. 2 bushlite sleeping bags) and the only thing I've been able to fault was a small stitching flaw in my 4midable shelter, which they immediately offered to replace.

I always thought they stored the down uncompressed in very large bags. I have attached a screenshot of the One Planet sleeping bag overview video, that features what looks to be the down shipping bags. Not sure whether they are compressed or not, but they don't look very compressed to me. One Planet themselves claim that storing down in a compressed state will damage "it should not be stored in its stuff sack long-term as this compresses the fill material and may cause damage." 'Long-term' is of course very loose terminology.... it could mean two months just as easily as it could mean a year.

I trust OP to provide a quality product, however am still concerned about the lapse in vigilance with regards to their QC.
LuxLuthor05
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby markg » Tue 30 May, 2017 10:27 pm

What a headache. But you are not alone. I bought two WM Antelope GWS bags when the $ was on parity. One of them had some stitches pulling through the seam on the outside and a baffle inside. I did not notice this right away. This bag was only used twice and treated appropriately. I sent them an email telling them this and included some pics as well. They replied quickly and said I should return it to the retailer. I rang the retailer who gave me the number of a supposed repairer in town in Sydney. Took the bag there and they said they could do nothing. My partner has since done some pretty fine needle work to prevent the stitching getting worse. The fault in the stitching didnt look all that major and I thought it should be easy to fix. So who can actually repair a sleeping bag locally ??? I would have been happy to send it to WM and have them put some extra down in it while it was fixed, which I told them, but they didn't seem too interested. Not sure if I would buy another one from them. Maybe source a local one. At least it's in country which would make it easier (hopefully) to deal with any problems.
markg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby LuxLuthor05 » Thu 01 Jun, 2017 12:27 am

A definite turn-off for future sales is when the company washes their hands of you simply because they already have your money. It reduces trust that they care about the customers experience, making it seem instead that they care about nothing more than the sale itself. Not good for business if you ask me.... It's actually making me think twice about going back to OP for their rucksacks - they ended contact abruptly when sending the last sleeping bag out, with no responses at all to my friendly updates on the progress of returning their other bag to them. I hope your WM bag thread problems don't cause you any further undue hassles!... When you invest in something as pricey as a WM, I can imagine how disheartening it'd be to end up anything less than 100% satisfied. The shop shouldn't have sent you to a repairer by the way.... It is the shops responsibility to take a return or get it repaired themselves (unless you bought it years ago). Perhaps by this stage you're just over it?
LuxLuthor05
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby gbagua » Sat 26 Jan, 2019 1:13 pm

Last edited by gbagua on Mon 28 Jan, 2019 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gbagua
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby Warin » Sat 26 Jan, 2019 1:42 pm

gbagua wrote:Thanks for the informative and thorough report.

One Planet?

No thank you!

Think you need to read the entire post?
Looks to me like One Planet did back their product.

The same cannot be said for a later post about Western Mountaineering who have not backed their product.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to Gear Reviews