Water Proof Socks

A place to share systematic reviews of bushwalking equipment, services and idea.
Forum rules
Forum rules
This is a place to share fair and systematic reviews of gear. Share the good, bad and ugly as well as including how you tested it and reviewed the gear. This is not the place to carry on about a bit of gear that failed, sometimes good gear has a lemon - this is more about systematic reviews. Although this can be a way to help gear manufactures with feedback, this is not the place to hassle them or ask for money back.

Start each thread with
[tag]Brand, product, RRP in AUD. The tags have two parts the type of gear and type of testing/review. eg
[Sleeping bag | Unboxing] Kmart Summit Hooded $29
[Stove | Field test]Jetboil, flash $150

Suggested review types. Unboxing, field test, 1 year on, stress test, teardown.
If someone else has already reviewed the same product in a similar method then please use the initial thread to include your review. Please note if the gear was provide to you for free, loan, discount or if you paid full RRP.

Water Proof Socks

Postby Stamina » Sun 25 Dec, 2022 7:50 am

Which brands are the best to consider?
Stamina
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Shawn
Region: Victoria

Re: Water Proof Socks

Postby gayet » Sun 25 Dec, 2022 12:57 pm

Sealskinz. Love them.
gayet
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Hiking Exped » Sun 25 Dec, 2022 1:24 pm

Yep…. Sealskins socks and gloves are the winners for me in very wet weather. Durable, reliable, comfortable :)
Hiking Exped
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby JohnnoMcJohnno » Sun 25 Dec, 2022 3:49 pm

I can't give you a recommendation, but I tried sealskinz and found them useless. Water got in, wouldn't get out, and they certainly wouldn't dry overnight. I just take an extra spare pair of regular socks if I'm concerned about wetness.
JohnnoMcJohnno
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Tortoise » Sun 25 Dec, 2022 4:05 pm

I've tried DexShell and Sealskinz, in an attempt to have warmer feet and less blisters in cold wet weather. My feet were probably a bit warmer but I still got blisters, as waterproof socks don't stretch / fit as closely as normal socks. I tried Injinji toe socks as liners, but that didn't help either. So I still don't have a solution.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Hiking Exped » Sun 25 Dec, 2022 4:27 pm

I’m certainly not saying Sealskinz will keep you 100% dry, but I have found them the best of the bunch at what they are attempting. I usually just wear a synthetic thin cheap business type sock as a liner (no need to pay the premium of named liner socks) followed by a good wool hiking sock. Combined the moisture wicks well, I never get blisters, the liner socks wash and dry very quickly, with the thicker sock for warmth, comfort and a wetness absorber. I use the Sealskinz when I know wet feet is going to be a constant battle and a little extra protection might help.
Hiking Exped
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Stamina » Sun 25 Dec, 2022 4:59 pm

What about the use of gold bond powder on your feet to help with moisture? Would you still use that inside waterproof socks? I have been a fan of injinji liner socks for a while but a bit of a pain getting on and off.
Stamina
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Stamina » Sat 30 Sep, 2023 4:23 pm

Big fan of Sealskinz socks now. I have only had the thicker ones and after 6 weeks hiking through the Sierra’s they were worn through on the heels. I also wore the injinji liner socks underneath. Best $50 I ever spent!
Stamina
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Gear Reviews