[Umbrella | Field test] Gossamer Gear Lightrek $90

A place to share systematic reviews of bushwalking equipment, services and idea.
Forum rules
Forum rules
This is a place to share fair and systematic reviews of gear. Share the good, bad and ugly as well as including how you tested it and reviewed the gear. This is not the place to carry on about a bit of gear that failed, sometimes good gear has a lemon - this is more about systematic reviews. Although this can be a way to help gear manufactures with feedback, this is not the place to hassle them or ask for money back.

Start each thread with
[tag]Brand, product, RRP in AUD. The tags have two parts the type of gear and type of testing/review. eg
[Sleeping bag | Unboxing] Kmart Summit Hooded $29
[Stove | Field test]Jetboil, flash $150

Suggested review types. Unboxing, field test, 1 year on, stress test, teardown.
If someone else has already reviewed the same product in a similar method then please use the initial thread to include your review. Please note if the gear was provide to you for free, loan, discount or if you paid full RRP.

[Umbrella | Field test] Gossamer Gear Lightrek $90

Postby stevage » Tue 09 Jan, 2024 4:37 pm

I really hate bright sunny burny days, so on a bit of a whim bought the Gossamer Gear Lightrek Hiking Umbrella from BPL. It's only 187g.

I got to try it in both sun and rain, on a recent 3 day hike in Mt Buffalo.

Sun: Pretty great. It was really nice being able to take the hat off and open a few buttons on my shirt for better ventilation. I found I wasn't hunting around for shade every time we paused for a few moments.

Rain: Also really good, in these fairly light showers with no wind. Much better than stopping to put on a rain jacket and then take it off again. It was also really helpful being able to do stuff on my phone without the screen getting wet.

It seems to be pretty solid, and I like the way it doesn't collapse down. There's no telescopic pole, or hinges, which I think compromise durability.

I'd like to see if I can find a good way to attach it to the pack so I don't need to hold it. I found a bodgy method that at least meant I could do things with both hands while standing around, but it wasn't quite stable enough to walk with.

It's also nice being able to temporarily share some shade or rain protection with your hiking partner.

So, yep, it will definitely be coming with me on any future hike where either sunburn or spells of rain are a likelihood. I probably wouldn't bring it just on the off chance of rain, but then again, for 187g, it's not much of a burden.
stevage
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: [Umbrella | Field test] Gossamer Gear Lightrek $90

Postby ggorgeman » Wed 10 Jan, 2024 11:32 am

Hey thanks for taking the time to do the review. Good to have some intel on gear such as this.
Cheers!
ggorgeman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby miss-linda » Wed 10 Jan, 2024 12:15 pm

I've been walking with a Helinox umbrella for a number of years. Much cooler than a hat when it's hot or when it's raining and I'm walking on a made track or open country. I always promise myself to come up with a solution for hands free when I'm walking but never get round to it when I am home. However your post made me think and do a quick google search and came up with this https://sectionhiker.com/how-to-attach- ... -backpack/ . Otherwise another option might be https://www.wildearth.com.au/buy/eurosc ... rella/1H16
Jeg føler meg hjemme blant fjell og fjorder
miss-linda
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Dexter » Wed 10 Jan, 2024 3:09 pm

stevage wrote:I'd like to see if I can find a good way to attach it to the pack so I don't need to hold it. I found a bodgy method that at least meant I could do things with both hands while standing around, but it wasn't quite stable enough to walk with.

Thanks heaps for posting your thoughts. I've been looking at these myself. Along with other brands. They all seem much of a muchness though.
There's a pack clamp thingo for that umbrella. Is that the bodgy method?

https://www.gossamergear.com/products/h ... ella-clamp
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby stevage » Tue 16 Jan, 2024 10:50 pm

Dexter wrote:
stevage wrote:I'd like to see if I can find a good way to attach it to the pack so I don't need to hold it. I found a bodgy method that at least meant I could do things with both hands while standing around, but it wasn't quite stable enough to walk with.

Thanks heaps for posting your thoughts. I've been looking at these myself. Along with other brands. They all seem much of a muchness though.
There's a pack clamp thingo for that umbrella. Is that the bodgy method?

https://www.gossamergear.com/products/h ... ella-clamp

Well, similar to that, but just using some cords on my pack.

I'm not exactly sure what "cord locks" are that they refer to in that article.
stevage
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Dexter » Wed 17 Jan, 2024 1:22 pm

This is also an option...
Attachments
415538088_257237044062360_7120755043244050364_n.jpg
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tassietramper » Wed 17 Jan, 2024 2:17 pm

Heading to the tennis later this week, do you think those sitting around me would mind me using one of these if it starts raining? :lol: :lol: :lol:
tassietramper
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Postby crollsurf » Sun 21 Jan, 2024 10:24 pm

Good review, thanks. Wind is the only issue, and having to hold it all the time. I've got a similar umbrella, and while I never take it multi-day, it regularly comes along on day walks, especially when expecting rain.

I love walking through forest on a rainy day with an umbrella.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby craigprice » Mon 25 Mar, 2024 3:54 pm

Fwiw
will post one for sale (Zpacks I think) on the market site later tonight.
Never used - dont like the idea/feel/application. I prefer to walk free hands.
Will include the zpacks and gossamer gear pack shoulder strap attachments.

IMO, the GG brand pack shoulder strap attachments (and chest straps for that matter) are superior to the Zpacks ones. And I use the GG ones in preference on all my packs.
craigprice
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Gear Reviews