Looking for some advice on daily mileage

A forum for discussing the Australian Alps Walking Track. This is a 655 km long track from Walhalla (Vic) to Tharwa (ACT)

Looking for some advice on daily mileage

Postby lachlanf » Wed 07 Apr, 2021 11:35 am

Hey guys,

I'm planning to tackle the track S-N in November this year and am starting to plan in earnest. I'm hoping I might get a bit of advice here about what a sensible mileage is for me to help with food drops etc. In terms of where I'm at:

- I'm a pretty experienced hiker, most notably having done the PCT in 2016 and was comfortably able to do avg. 25 miles a day, and if anything I'm fitter now than I was then as I do a lot more distance running.
- I've also done a fair bit of hiking on less groomed trails, I did the Western Arthurs traverse in March and have done a fair bit in the Vic Alps (Viking circuit, Mt Clear circuit, Feathertop traverse etc) and I feel pretty comfortable with crappy trails and route finding.
- Base weight will end up around 6kg I'd say, and I think I'll try and do food drops to keep food loads to around 5 days, so maybe 15kg max weight with water?
- I don't really want to just blitz the trail though and walk all day.. It's nice to have time to make a coffee in the morning and maybe light a campfire in the afternoon and evening.. or just take a nap or swim as desired.

My sense is that averaging 22km to complete the walk in 30 days (with a day off in Hotham and Thredbo respectively) will definitely be comfortable even allowing for a bit of route finding and off track water gathering, but I'm concerned that might be taking it too cruisy and I'll get bored with too much time to kill?

I'm also wondering if it makes sense to start slower in Vic to account for the more rugged track and bigger water carries and then step it up to closer to 30km a day in northern NSW and into Canberra which seems easier to follow and flatter? This might also allow me to skip a food drop between Thredbo and the end which wouldn't be a bad thing logistically...

Hoping some experienced folks can provide some input :)
lachlanf
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Looking for some advice on daily mileage

Postby jobell » Wed 07 Apr, 2021 2:29 pm

I did it a few years ago now with a friend and we took 39 days including I think 1 full rest day and two halves. I think I was probably older, less fit and carried a heavier pack than you so your itinerary looks reasonable for what you describe. I would stick with your plan of 22km a day, if you make better mileage it will give you that time you want for a nap or whatever, plus, it gives you some contingency time if something doesn’t quite work out. The AAWT is pretty good at throwing up the unexpected! Enjoy....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R.Tolkien
jobell
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Anotherjonesy » Wed 07 Apr, 2021 3:50 pm

lachlanf wrote:Hey guys,

I'm planning to tackle the track S-N in November this year and am starting to plan in earnest. I'm hoping I might get a bit of advice here about what a sensible mileage is for me to help with food drops etc. In terms of where I'm at:

- I'm a pretty experienced hiker, most notably having done the PCT in 2016 and was comfortably able to do avg. 25 miles a day, and if anything I'm fitter now than I was then as I do a lot more distance running.
- I've also done a fair bit of hiking on less groomed trails, I did the Western Arthurs traverse in March and have done a fair bit in the Vic Alps (Viking circuit, Mt Clear circuit, Feathertop traverse etc) and I feel pretty comfortable with crappy trails and route finding.
- Base weight will end up around 6kg I'd say, and I think I'll try and do food drops to keep food loads to around 5 days, so maybe 15kg max weight with water?
- I don't really want to just blitz the trail though and walk all day.. It's nice to have time to make a coffee in the morning and maybe light a campfire in the afternoon and evening.. or just take a nap or swim as desired.

My sense is that averaging 22km to complete the walk in 30 days (with a day off in Hotham and Thredbo respectively) will definitely be comfortable even allowing for a bit of route finding and off track water gathering, but I'm concerned that might be taking it too cruisy and I'll get bored with too much time to kill?

I'm also wondering if it makes sense to start slower in Vic to account for the more rugged track and bigger water carries and then step it up to closer to 30km a day in northern NSW and into Canberra which seems easier to follow and flatter? This might also allow me to skip a food drop between Thredbo and the end which wouldn't be a bad thing logistically...

Hoping some experienced folks can provide some input :)

G'day Lachlan, I just did it 30 days. 2 days off in Thredbo and 1 at Hotham. I did a food drop at stronarchs camp, Rumpff saddle, Hotham, near Johnnie's top, and mailed one to Thredbo.

Took 11 days to Hotham, which was a battle for me, but if you're fit you'll find it easier
Anotherjonesy
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 20 Apr, 2021 7:54 am

It could be an urban myth or an fanciful tale but I heard that some squad or another from The Australian Army had a stab at the AAWT from Walhalla to Hotham . By the time they had reached Mt. Hotham they were spent, done and broken and did not continue any further.
:-0
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby GregG » Tue 20 Apr, 2021 10:06 pm

I heard that story too PCV except it was the Air Force. Totally destroyed them.
GregG
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Old bushie
Region: New South Wales

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 21 Apr, 2021 7:12 am

Northbound to Johnnies Top is generally slower and with more climbs than past there, starting with the biggest climb on the AAWT, Mount Erica. Management and other roads are reasonably easy to walk, although there's a few very steep places. Most of the region from near McDonald to Barry Saddle is slow. It will be quite hard to average 40 kilometres a day. Forty kilometres is possible on good tracks, mainly flat and a long day, especially the KNP parts. I suggest that you plan on shorter distances in the southern parts and longer distances in the northern parts. For example, Stony Creek to Cowombat Flat and the Alpine Way is mainly flatish all on roads, easy to cover the distance.

You may need up to an hour return to get water. Check that the tanks are intact; some may have been burnt in the bushfires. There's talk of new tanks near The Nobs and Viking Saddle.

Some parts require route finding, such as The Viking. There are alternatives to the official route. In particular, in good conditions most people seem to go over the Main Range to Tate and Schlink Pass rather than walk down the road to the resorts. The new track from Charlotte Pass is not attractive - too much descent and ascent, too much road bashing, better views on the ridges. With that in mind, from Schlink Pass you can go east and north, all off track, turning Jagungal on the east to hit the management track near Mackays Hut.

If it's hot you will need to carry more water, so your pack may be heavier than you wish. In any season there could be snow, so take adequate gear. In many parts of the alps campfires are frowned on or proscribed.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Hikrazy » Fri 21 May, 2021 3:42 pm

GregG wrote:I heard that story too PCV except it was the Air Force. Totally destroyed them.
Hikrazy
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to AAWT