Accommodation options for Hotham and Thredbo

A forum for discussing the Australian Alps Walking Track. This is a 655 km long track from Walhalla (Vic) to Tharwa (ACT)

Accommodation options for Hotham and Thredbo

Postby mjustice » Tue 31 Jan, 2023 1:32 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking to do the AAWT in Oct this year and was wanting to see what suggestions for accommodation at Hotham and Thredbo people have. I'd be looking to mail my food drop through to the accommodation also, so that becomes a factor.

I've read various posts the the following
Hotham
    The General, with accomm being under the name of Mountain Dreaming. Heard this has capability to receive and store food drops. Cheapest p-rice around mid-late Oct is about $550.
    -- another option mentioned was Glen Willis Mountain retreat - bit further than I was planning before having a day off. Friendly for food drops and price around $165..

Thredbo
    The Deadman, single room around $525 with dates of the start of November. People seems to mention this is food drop friendly.
    YHA - twin room with private bathroom $285. There was a comment mentioning they didn't seem too helpful when it came to food drops.
Where has everyone stayed if they did stop in Hotham or Thredbo.

Alternatively, the other thought was just to get a place to store a food drop and then walk on and camp outside any restricted zones. If someone has done this, what was the best location for a food drop - post office.

thanks,
mjustice
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Accommodation options for Hotham and Thredbo

Postby Xplora » Thu 02 Feb, 2023 4:22 pm

If you are planning other food drops you may have some access issues unless you do them before the seasonal closures. I can only comment with authority about Glen Wills. Given him a call and you may find things are better. You will have to leave a message but he will call back. COVID has caused some issues for the retreat and I am not sure what bookings he is allowed to take if others are there but he might have another option which you would need to talk to him about. Not going to put it out publicly. He will take care of your food drop until you arrive.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Joe J » Wed 22 Feb, 2023 3:38 pm

Hey mjustice
Have you had any better luck with the accommodation? I'm looking at doing the same thing in Nov this year. How far in advance are you planning on booking?

Thanks.
Joe J
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Joe J » Thu 23 Feb, 2023 4:45 pm

Hi All

I'm planning on doing the full AAWT south to north in Nov/Dec this year. I too had the idea of spending 2 days at Hotham and another 2 at Thredbo. It would give me a rest day, a good sleep, shower, and plenty of steak.
From what I'm looked at so far, the accommodation is going to be expensive at $500+ per night. I don't want to book it now so I dread what the price will be later in the year.
Has anyone else had any experience regarding using the accommodation at either Hotham or Thredbo? Given plans change, before and during hiking, I don't really want to book anything until the last minute, and hopefully with the option of changing the dates if the hiking schedule changes.

Thanks
Joe J
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Xplora » Thu 23 Feb, 2023 5:05 pm

Joe J wrote:Hi All

I'm planning on doing the full AAWT south to north in Nov/Dec this year. I too had the idea of spending 2 days at Hotham and another 2 at Thredbo. It would give me a rest day, a good sleep, shower, and plenty of steak.
From what I'm looked at so far, the accommodation is going to be expensive at $500+ per night. I don't want to book it now so I dread what the price will be later in the year.
Has anyone else had any experience regarding using the accommodation at either Hotham or Thredbo? Given plans change, before and during hiking, I don't really want to book anything until the last minute, and hopefully with the option of changing the dates if the hiking schedule changes.

Thanks

YMCA at Thredbo is reasonable according to Lops. Glen Wills retreat is a few days further than Hotham but much cheaper. It is also about half way. You will get a good steak and it will cost a lot less for the stay. Call direct, not through Stayz.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 23 Feb, 2023 6:23 pm

I've spent several nights at Glen Willis retreat, and it's very nice. The Thredbo YHA is about $60 a night shared room. I've come off the Main Range in bad weather twice, no booking, and was able to get a room.
https://www.yha.com.au/hostels/nsw/snow ... s/thredbo/
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Return to AAWT