Big River and chain in good nick

A forum for discussing the Australian Alps Walking Track. This is a 655 km long track from Walhalla (Vic) to Tharwa (ACT)

Big River and chain in good nick

Postby AWTtrekker » Fri 10 Nov, 2017 11:21 am

Just letting people know that as at lunchtime today we spoke to a couple of guys heading south who crossed Big River yesterday. They report that it was thigh deep and that the chain is in good condition. We plan to cross this afternoon
AWTtrekker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Re: Big River and chain in good nick

Postby eggs » Fri 10 Nov, 2017 1:16 pm

Appreciate the info - thanks.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby Dreamer » Fri 10 Nov, 2017 4:20 pm

Good to know, thanks!
Dreamer
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: South Australia

Postby Xplora » Sat 11 Nov, 2017 5:32 am

the Joker river height station is showing around 1.2m so thigh deep is what I would expect. Good news about the chain. I will pass it on to PV.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby AWTtrekker » Sun 12 Nov, 2017 6:36 pm

Confirming that the chain is great. No issue at all. Felt very sturdy.
AWTtrekker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby Daveisbludging » Fri 01 Dec, 2017 1:11 pm

What’s the link to the joker station river height? I am meant to be crossing Big River on Monday or Tuesday.
Daveisbludging
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Xplora » Sat 02 Dec, 2017 6:57 am

Daveisbludging wrote:What’s the link to the joker station river height? I am meant to be crossing Big River on Monday or Tuesday.

The Joker station is offline again (not likely to be fixed by Monday) but I feel you will not be crossing at the chain on Monday and maybe even Tuesday. Quite possible it will be washed away with this rain if a tree hits it and I doubt the river will be down enough by then. The next station is not a very good indicator of the crossing as is is fed by 4 major waterways. Safer bet will be to go up Quartz and Bogong but that crossing can be high and running if it is still raining. If you want to avoid the river all together then Spione Kopje and the Grey Hills or Fitz's hut, Kelly's track or 107 to the Omeo Highway. If you decide on the later then let me know I and I will sort out some transport to get you back up the road. If the Joker station was working I suspect it would hit 3m some time today. It would have been around 1m yesterday before the rain.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Daveisbludging » Sat 02 Dec, 2017 3:47 pm

Thanks for the very kind offer of transport.

Spion Kopje Track to Grey Hills Track to Quartz Ridge looks the safest based upon your estimation and the prediction of more rain.

Can you see any issues with this route?
Daveisbludging
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Xplora » Sat 02 Dec, 2017 4:22 pm

Daveisbludging wrote:Thanks for the very kind offer of transport.

Spion Kopje Track to Grey Hills Track to Quartz Ridge looks the safest based upon your estimation and the prediction of more rain.

Can you see any issues with this route?

Maybe a few trees down over the track, more on the Quartz ridge up hill I would think. There is no real track from Spione Kopje to the Grey Hills anymore. When you see the ridge line of the Grey Hills then make your best effort across using your judgement. Just scrubby heath and a bit of zig zag to find your best path. Great views but it will add half a day or more to the journey. Water on Spione Kopje as you cross the old aqueduct and Bogong Creek saddle but not Grey Hills. Rain round two looks on the way but so far it has not been as bad as predicted. Falls Creek had more than 100mm so Big river will be up. Follow up rain is predicted until Wednesday. Going Grey hills will cost you a couple of hours more than Timms spur but the view is worth it and you are not walking on a road. Hope the cloud clears.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to AAWT