AAWT horror stories

A forum for discussing the Australian Alps Walking Track. This is a 655 km long track from Walhalla (Vic) to Tharwa (ACT)

AAWT horror stories

Postby skogpingvin » Sun 15 Sep, 2019 5:51 pm

Hi all again, Bill here

As part of my job in an optics store I get to talk with a lot of hunters. I mentioned that we were planning our AAWT to one bloke who told me he'd been in those parts recently and asked me was I fully prepared.

Specifically, did I have hi-viz, because if we weren't kitted out we'd be shot by hunters.

Also were we carrying hunting knives, or at least heavy sticks for the packs of dogs that attack walkers.

This guy wasn't smirking when he was talking with me, so I want to know - was he having a lend? I'm not all that put off by it, but I'm taking my daughter with me which makes the risk assessment a bit different.
-------------
Bill Stent
skogpingvin
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: AAWT horror stories

Postby Mark F » Sun 15 Sep, 2019 5:56 pm

Definitely having a lend of you. I would have thought if either story was true or likely there would be some evidence thrown up by a simple google search or just reading through the threads on this site. My personal experience suggests he is a *&^%$#! par excellence and I would suggest you don't buy any bridges from him especially one across Sydney Harbour.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby jobell » Mon 16 Sep, 2019 7:07 pm

When I walked the AAWT in 2015 we came across plenty of people hunting in the Victorian section. There were people spot lighting one of our camps at night, shots fired off somewhere in the forest on more than one occasion and hunters tracking lost dogs, sometimes where they weren't meant to be. None of this worried me unduly but I did take a fluorescent pack cover (I don't usually use one) which I made good use of on all of those days. It's just sensible. Plus, it was a handy for sitting on when the ground was wet, putting my soaked clothing on outside my tent AND it handily highlighted some leeches making an attempt upon my body on one particular occasion. It also helped protect the bottom of my pack as I scooted down the super steep descents on my butt. Win-win I say....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R.Tolkien
jobell
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Xplora » Tue 17 Sep, 2019 6:15 am

High vis is not a bad idea but I this bloke was pulling your leg. There are a number of places in Vic where hunting is legal but there are still many more places where hunters are found illegally, like Jobell said. Deer hunters themselves love the camo gear so there is probably more chance they will shoot each other (which has occurred). Deer are colour blind and cannot see orange but it is a hard thing to get a deer hunter to wear orange. Regarding dogs, again I could not say there is a problem BUT, had a friend skiing on the Bogong High Plains this year who was tracked by a pack. Heard them but never saw them. Came across a group of blokes fishing Big River and one had a rifle strapped to his back. He told me it was because of a large pack of dogs he had seen on a previous trip. Most of the wild dogs we have encountered do not want anything to do with people and run off. Not saying it couldn't happen but not very likely to be attacked. A big hunting knife strapped to your leg may be a cause of concern to other walkers.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby skogpingvin » Tue 17 Sep, 2019 9:59 am

Thanks people. I'd rather thought the guy was either bignoting himself or trying to discourage pesky walkers from his precious hunting grounds.

I do have a yellow pack cover, which I'll use, but I think I'll draw the line at a weapon.

Bill
-------------
Bill Stent
skogpingvin
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby AlistairB » Tue 17 Sep, 2019 2:51 pm

Utter rubbish and fear mongering.

There are hunters up there but the people who make the effort to really get a long way in are usually very polite and well educated folks. They aren't bogans shooting out of 4WDs. Especially at the moment with many tracks closed for winter. A shooting accident is an incredibly rare occurrence and usually happens to another hunter who is shot at close range by his partner tripping over or crossing an obstacle with a loaded firearm.

There are dogs up there too but guess how many fatalities, or even official reports from feral dog attacks there have been? Zero. They make noise but thats about it.

You probably have more chance of being struck by lightening during your hike than either of the above.
AlistairB
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Snooze » Tue 17 Sep, 2019 8:20 pm

The incident described in this post on Sydney reddit happened to a bicycle camper, in New England (NSW) not AAWT.
Still somewhat frightening though. https://www.reddit.com/r/sydney/comment ... ot_dingos/
Snooze
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby neilmny » Wed 18 Sep, 2019 8:24 am

Snooze wrote:The incident described in this post on Sydney reddit happened to a bicycle camper, in New England (NSW) not AAWT.
Still somewhat frightening though. https://www.reddit.com/r/sydney/comment ... ot_dingos/

They were after the dog in the tent which would have been seen as an invader to their territory.
Pretty dramatic "came in for the kill". Whacked with a burning stick and a "Bowie"knife......hmmmm.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to AAWT