Water filtration on the AAWT

A forum for discussing the Australian Alps Walking Track. This is a 655 km long track from Walhalla (Vic) to Tharwa (ACT)

Water filtration on the AAWT

Postby Angry155 » Tue 12 May, 2020 7:17 am

Gday All, have a quick question regarding the need for a filtration system if I'm doing the AAWT during Autumn. Is there a need to carry a particulate filter for the trip or will I get away with my steripen and micropur tablets? Not sure if I'm likely to need to suck dirty water on the trip or not. Once again advice is always appreciated.
Angry155
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Water filtration on the AAWT

Postby Zapruda » Tue 12 May, 2020 7:52 am

Angry155 wrote:Gday All, have a quick question regarding the need for a filtration system if I'm doing the AAWT during Autumn. Is there a need to carry a particulate filter for the trip or will I get away with my steripen and micropur tablets? Not sure if I'm likely to need to suck dirty water on the trip or not. Once again advice is always appreciated.

The water is mostly sediment free along the whole track.Some of the tanks might have some floaties in them though.

I'd recommend ditching the Steripen and using something like a Katadyn Befree or Sawyer squeeze. They are lighter, quicker, cheaper and they do double duty in removing sediment and bacteria from the water. Because the water is generally clear and clean in the mountains, maintenance is minimal on filters like these.

Keep the Micropur as backup.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby ChrisJHC » Tue 12 May, 2020 6:25 pm

Another benefit of the “bag” systems is that you can carry a couple of extra bags (with lids) and use them as extra storage when needed. They weigh almost nothing and, if stored carefully, should be almost unnoticed until needed.
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby anne3 » Tue 12 May, 2020 7:57 pm

I walked the AAWT in November/December and did not sterilise any water. I didn’t take any equipment to do so and never felt the need to even boil any drinking water. Food for thought. Enter at own risk LOL.
Walking the walk
anne3
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mark F » Tue 12 May, 2020 9:31 pm

anne3 wrote:I walked the AAWT in November/December and did not sterilise any water. I didn’t take any equipment to do so and never felt the need to even boil any drinking water. Food for thought. Enter at own risk LOL.

As anne says - personal decision. For me I carry a Steripen Freedom (76g) for use around huts and water sources where stock/ferals may impact the quality. This becomes more of an issue when water is in short supply like in autumn.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby gbedford » Sun 17 May, 2020 6:15 pm

I walked the AAWT in November/December and did not sterilise any water. I didn’t take any equipment to do so and never felt the need to even boil any drinking water. Food for thought. Enter at own risk LOL.

I did likewise. Never had any problems in December/ January.
gbedford
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby crollsurf » Sun 17 May, 2020 8:51 pm

A Sawyer or Be free isn't a big weight penalty to play it safe. I'd say you'd be right most of the time but I can tell you from experience, Gardia is a concern on the Main Range.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Return to AAWT