Victorian food drops for spring walk 2021

A forum for discussing the Australian Alps Walking Track. This is a 655 km long track from Walhalla (Vic) to Tharwa (ACT)

Victorian food drops for spring walk 2021

Postby bowraaxe » Wed 04 Nov, 2020 11:17 am

I'm planning a 9 to 12 week (slow paced) aawt walk for spring next year.
I should be able to organise food drops for the northern (thredbo to canberra) and middle (hotham to thredbo) sections as I head down to Melbourne to start the walk.
From my research it appears that most of the access points to the southern section are closed due to winter road closures.
I'm looking assistance to place 2 food drops before the roads close next year.
Food and water drop at Mt Victor/Fiddlers Green or Rumph Saddle.
Food drop Near Macalister springs (mt howitt carpark).
More than happy to make some contribution to the cost of getting the food to the drops.
thanks
bowraaxe
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Victorian food drops for spring walk 2021

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 04 Nov, 2020 1:21 pm

Welcome to the forum. Road closures and related information can be found at
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=27860
There are seasonal closures, with many gates opened on the Thursday before the Melbourne Cup. This may limit access for a spring walk with the food drops put in just before the walk. If so, putting in the food drops before the winter closure is an option.

The containers need to be sufficient to last winter and animals. Also, there's a bit of a risk in that despite the best description, pictures, GPS and a sketch map, you may not find the food. The drop can be marked with tape, say 15 metres from the drop. make it subtle; obvious tape may be removed by others.

Mac Springs has a lot of visitors, with more chance of the food drop being found by others and opened. Due to this you may wish to consider swapping Mac Springs for Speculation. I'm advised that the Speculation Road is suitable for 2WD vehicles, which means that the food drop could be very close to the car. The campsite a short way up from the road and well away from the flat areas could work. See what others say.

Some aspects of the walk to the Bogong High Plains are at
viewtopic.php?f=64&t=31865
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Postby north-north-west » Wed 04 Nov, 2020 4:41 pm

Lophophaps wrote:. I'm advised that the Speculation Road is suitable for 2WD vehicles, which means that the food drop could be very close to the car.

Since when?
I know my experience up there is somewhat out of date, but the road was never 2wd friendly beyond Cobbler Lake and not SUV terrain much beyond the muddy section on Whatsitsname Flat.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby bigkev » Wed 04 Nov, 2020 6:05 pm

north-north-west wrote:
Lophophaps wrote:. I'm advised that the Speculation Road is suitable for 2WD vehicles, which means that the food drop could be very close to the car.

Since when?
I know my experience up there is somewhat out of date, but the road was never 2wd friendly beyond Cobbler Lake and not SUV terrain much beyond the muddy section on Whatsitsname Flat.

I'd have to agree with NNW. It's been a couple for years since I've been along Mt Spec Road however it was low range most of the way from Lake Cobbler to Mt Spec. That was the worst that I'd experienced it (we'd just had a big rain event). On every other visit it's still been a 4wd track, although maybe possible in a soft roader with some decent clearance in dry weather?

Mt Speculation Road up to Lake Cobbler should be OK for a 2wd - just don't try and drive down to the lake - I had to tow a dunnydore out on one visit.

Cheers
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby DavidB » Wed 04 Nov, 2020 8:39 pm

Just going back to the comment about the northern end (ACT). Need to be aware that the AAWT from Murrays Gap to Tharwa is currently closed by ACT Parks till 2023 due to bushfire damage. Affects the whole of the Bimberi Wilderness.
DavidB
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 05 Nov, 2020 7:02 am

I cannot recall where I saw the advice about the Speculation Road being 2WD. I have a 1986 Watersheds map showing 4WD coming up from King River and a kilometre past the Cobbler turnoff. If a food drop is placed at Speculation, perhaps take a 4WD or a 2WD with a bicycle. Consideration needs to be given to the possibility that some northern sections may be closed for a while.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Xplora » Fri 06 Nov, 2020 6:46 am

bowraaxe wrote:More than happy to make some contribution to the cost of getting the food to the drops.
thanks

And please don't forget the cost of picking up the empty. A slower walk will mean more drops.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby slimwise » Mon 04 Oct, 2021 7:31 pm

Still looking for assistance ?
slimwise
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby gmac » Thu 07 Oct, 2021 11:52 am

Can confirm that the Speculation Track once opened from Lake Cobbler to Camp Creek requires a 4WD. When I was last there in early Dec 18 it took the usual 1hr to travel the 10km or so to Camp Creek and if early in the season have encountered trees on the track. Generally found the 1st section up to the Staircase turn off was rutted, slippery and steep in spots followed by some soft spot further along. It does also get rocky towards the end but has been manageable in a standard 4WD, didn't have a need for a high lift vehicle.
gmac
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 16 Dec, 2021 9:35 pm

Lake Cobbler to Mt. Spec. was suitable for low range 4 x 4 vehicles only when I walked it in Dec. 2018( ?). There were trees down on the track too.
2 WD IMHO was marginal from lower down on the Lake Cobbler access road where it crosses thingummy creek. That last section of the track is steep and rocky. As Big Kev says 2 WD esp. with street tyres is a no go for the last push down to the Lake side area. There is a creek crossing too. My RAV 4 AWD with AT/M tyres was fine but the driver's skill matters too. Take a chainsaw. I saw plenty of trees that had been recently cut to clear the road on the way in from Whitfield.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby TheInvisibleLog » Thu 13 Jan, 2022 2:34 pm

OK. Some decades ago I did drive 2wd into Speculation. I wouldn't recommend it.
TheInvisibleLog
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 14 Jan, 2022 5:26 pm

Access to Camp Creek along the Spec. road has become seriously 4 x4 terrain only when coming from Lake Cobbler. Some bits of the 4 x4 track are Okay and other bits are just rubbish.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby north-north-west » Fri 14 Jan, 2022 5:46 pm

I did once take a 2WD Rodeo from Cobbler Lake to the junction and down the Staircase. Fortunately the grader had been through just a week or so earlier or it would not have been possible.
A very slow a cautious drive, but interesting. Hard to recognise the road when I walked it some years later.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Return to AAWT