Purchasing Stove Fuel along the track

A forum for discussing the Australian Alps Walking Track. This is a 655 km long track from Walhalla (Vic) to Tharwa (ACT)

Purchasing Stove Fuel along the track

Postby Alana84 » Sun 21 Mar, 2021 9:04 am

Planning to do this walk in the (distant) future and would love to minimize drive in food drops. I’m wondering if it’s possible to purchase gas canisters at Hotham (or even Falls Creek) and Thredbo? The food resupply is easily posted but obviously fuel is not.
Alana84
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Re: Purchasing Stove Fuel along the track

Postby DavidB » Sun 21 Mar, 2021 9:34 am

Doubt you'll find gas at Thredbo. Jindabyne would be closest.
DavidB
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby Baeng72 » Sun 21 Mar, 2021 11:56 am

Falls Creek has a year round supermarket I'm lead to believe, so my be helpful.
What type of fuel? Gas, metho?
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Alana84 » Sun 21 Mar, 2021 3:00 pm

Baeng72 wrote:What type of fuel? Gas, metho?

Gas canisters
Alana84
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby GBW » Sun 21 Mar, 2021 3:21 pm

There's an IGA at Thredbo. You could email/ring them and ask, they may sell the fly spray shape canisters and with an appropriate small adapter you can refill the screw type canisters used on Jetboils etc.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Sun 21 Mar, 2021 3:24 pm

Not sure if they stock those, maybe you could contact them: https://www.fallscreek.com.au/listing/f ... permarket/
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Alana84 » Tue 23 Mar, 2021 1:58 pm

So I’ve contacted Falls Creek and Thredbo foodworks and have not had a reply. I’m going to assume they don’t stock gas canisters.

But I did discover that certain online retailers will deliver gas canisters. So far found I’ve found the below stores will deliver for a standard shipping fee.
Pushys.com.au
Freaksports.com.Au
Amazon Australia also sells jetboil canisters on behalf of Pushys. There’s also a few eBay listings, although the shipping costs vary quite a bit.

I just wanted to update the post in case anyone else was wondering how to cut back on drive-in food drops.
Alana84
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Anotherjonesy » Thu 25 Mar, 2021 5:37 pm

Hi Allana, I'm in Thredbo at the moment. I have to resupply in there criminally priced store in the morning after my food package never arrived via mail...
I'll ask about gas, didn't look likely .

Ring the general at Hotham, I have a sneaking suspicion I saw the cylinders in there last week..may not have
Anotherjonesy
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Alana84 » Thu 25 Mar, 2021 6:10 pm

Anotherjonesy wrote:Hi Allana, I'm in Thredbo at the moment. I have to resupply in there criminally priced store in the morning after my food package never arrived via mail...
I'll ask about gas, didn't look likely .

Ring the general at Hotham, I have a sneaking suspicion I saw the cylinders in there last week..may not have

Awesome! Thanks. It won’t be this year, but I will ring them before do the walk. Half the fun is the planning though!

Enjoy the rest of the walk.
Alana84
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 25 Mar, 2021 6:19 pm

Alana, a belated thought. On balance of probability you will have to take in food drops. it is possible to have food drops just at Hotham and Thredbo, but its a long way to carry food. There will be a lot of driving for this, and not much more to get to the usual bush food drop locations. It may be possible to find people who are going to Hotham and Thredbo to leave a food drop with a lodge. Gas cannot be posted, dangerous goods. Gordy at Glen Wills Retreat may be able to assist.
http://www.glenwills.com/
I've stayed there twice, and it's good value.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Alana84 » Sat 27 Mar, 2021 7:25 am

Lophophaps wrote:Alana, a belated thought. On balance of probability you will have to take in food drops. it is possible to have food drops just at Hotham and Thredbo, but its a long way to carry food. There will be a lot of driving for this, and not much more to get to the usual bush food drop locations. It may be possible to find people who are going to Hotham and Thredbo to leave a food drop with a lodge. Gas cannot be posted, dangerous goods. Gordy at Glen Wills Retreat may be able to assist.
http://www.glenwills.com/
I've stayed there twice, and it's good value.

Yes, of course some food drops will have to be driven in, like Rumpff Saddle. I would not attempt to walk from Walhalla to Hotham, or Hotham to Thredbo, without a food drop in between. The main aim of my original question was to simplify or shorten the road trip needed to drop off 5+ food drops for someone who is not local to Vic, NSW or ACT.

Gas can in fact be posted by the retailers I listed. I have confirmed it would be via road transport only. A box of food for resupply can then be posted to the local post office or accommodation and this would mean Hotham and Thredbo food drops would not need to be driven in.

Glen Wills does look very good and in the perfect spot where a hot meal and shower would be much appreciated.
Alana84
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Anotherjonesy » Sat 27 Mar, 2021 8:17 am

I went to into foodworks yesterday which is also there post office, and forgot to ask... Turns out my food parcel was sitting in there and accommodation never picked it up, got sidetracked with relief and forgot to ask. I'm taking another zero because of bad weather this arvo so if I go past I'll ask.

If you're going to stay in Hotham definitely go with aasgaard and I'm sure they'll take a delivery for you
Anotherjonesy
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Anotherjonesy » Sat 27 Mar, 2021 4:25 pm

So I spoke to the girl and foodworks Thredbo, she said they have them, but not always...
Anotherjonesy
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Alana84 » Sat 27 Mar, 2021 5:23 pm

Anotherjonesy wrote:So I spoke to the girl and foodworks Thredbo, she said they have them, but not always...

Thank so much for asking. Really appreciate it.
Alana84
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 16 Dec, 2021 9:42 pm

I use a trangier and I have successfully done food/ liquid stove fuel ( Methylated spirits )drops for BC XC ski trips in March before the access road gates are closed for winter.
Stashing stove fuel with the food drops and other goodies makes a lot of sense.

Subsequently retrieving the empty containers etc. is the next job after the actual trip has been completed.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Return to AAWT