Intending to do AAWT September 2021 - advice sought

A forum for discussing the Australian Alps Walking Track. This is a 655 km long track from Walhalla (Vic) to Tharwa (ACT)

Intending to do AAWT September 2021 - advice sought

Postby Tarpit » Sun 30 May, 2021 5:44 pm

I am intending to the AAWT, North to South in September.
I am looking for advice on food drop locations. Planning on carrying five days. Any advice appreciated.
I am also looking for someone to do it with. Is there a specific forum for that?
I cannot find a current copy of John Chapman’s guide book - any suggestions on where I might find one?
Thanks in advance.
Denys
Tarpit
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Intending to do AAWT September 2021 - advice sought

Postby Baeng72 » Sun 30 May, 2021 5:56 pm

I was going to say Chapman's site, but I guess you checked as it's not available 'till Spring 2021.
http://www.john.chapman.name/pub-aawt.html
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Xplora » Mon 31 May, 2021 7:27 am

Tarpit wrote:I am intending to the AAWT, North to South in September.
I am looking for advice on food drop locations. Planning on carrying five days. Any advice appreciated.
I am also looking for someone to do it with. Is there a specific forum for that?
I cannot find a current copy of John Chapman’s guide book - any suggestions on where I might find one?
Thanks in advance.
Denys

I am thinking you have left your run a bit late for food drops if you want to leave in September. You could do less drops as many of the popular drop sites will be closed in a couple of weeks until late October. If you can get out there before then you will have a chance. Are you also planning for it to be a snow trip? Some drops may still be covered but we will not know that until at least September. There is a very good chance you will need snowshoes for some of it.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lophophaps » Mon 31 May, 2021 12:01 pm

I agree with Xplora. In September there will be long sections covered by snow. Jagungal region, Main Range, Bogong High Plains, parts of the Barries, Viking to McDonald, and maybe the Baw Baws. Anything above 1500 metres has snow potential. Also, the weather could be quite bad.

This is a long serious walk and is best done with someone you know. There's a section on this website find walking companions.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 19 Dec, 2021 6:18 pm

Major sections of the AAWT including the Baw Baws, Buller- Howitt area, Bogong High Plains and The Main range are quite often fully BC XC skiable in September.
Can you BC XC ski with a full pack on your back?. It is not that easy .At very least snow shoes will not be optional if you do not BC XC ski.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby headwerkn » Mon 20 Dec, 2021 11:19 am

Thread has passed its original scope date, but worth noting the new fifth edition of Chapman's Australian Alps Walking Track book is now available. My preorder literally landed on my seat at work 20 mins ago.
headwerkn
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Return to AAWT