Current road conditions - Rumpff and Howitt

A forum for discussing the Australian Alps Walking Track. This is a 655 km long track from Walhalla (Vic) to Tharwa (ACT)

Current road conditions - Rumpff and Howitt

Postby badd0g » Thu 11 Nov, 2021 7:31 am

Does anyone local have any intel on the conditions of Jamieson-Licola and Tamboritha-Howitt rds?
Plan was to head out to collect unused drops (Rumpff and Howitt) this weekend but with the amount of rain forecast, not sure it's great timing.
Parks have directed us to councils/shires for info but their advice is just that the roads are now open with no reports of trees down etc.
Would greatly appreciate any local, current, on the ground advice. Will be in AWD outback.
Cheers!
badd0g
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Current road conditions - Rumpff and Howitt

Postby badd0g » Thu 11 Nov, 2021 9:28 am

Finally managed to get onto DWELP...
Tamboritha/Howitt Rd a no go atm. Slick AF and sections impassable without serious 4wd capabilities - even then still would advise to steer clear.
Moroka Rd between Arbuckle Junction and Horseyard Flat has several impassable points.
badd0g
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby GregR » Thu 11 Nov, 2021 10:24 am

badd0g wrote:Does anyone local have any intel on the conditions of Jamieson-Licola and Tamboritha-Howitt rds?
Plan was to head out to collect unused drops (Rumpff and Howitt) this weekend but with the amount of rain forecast, not sure it's great timing.
Parks have directed us to councils/shires for info but their advice is just that the roads are now open with no reports of trees down etc.
Would greatly appreciate any local, current, on the ground advice. Will be in AWD outback.
Cheers!

I was up there on Cup weekend till Wednesday last week. No trees down.

The Tamboritha Rd was fine up to Arbuckle junction (as far as I went) and my information was not to try and get to McFarlanes saddle due to a road collapse at surveyors creek unless in a 4 wd (I was using our AWD Territory, so didn't chance my arm). The collapsed section was filled in with logs, so I was told by the folks at Licola General store- always worth a call.

The potholes started after Bennisons Look out all the way to Arbuckle Junction. Not too bad, just a pity there always in the shadows..

The traffic up Howitt Rd from the Junction was non stop whilst I waited at Arbuckle for my companion to retrace her steps to locate her dropped GPS.

the Jamieson -Licola road had a small detour just out of Licola, but traffic was getting thru. probably cleared by now.

I was going back this weekend to Howitt, until the weather reports indicated nothing but freezing wet misery for a cold hater like me.

Probably not the best weekend to retrieve your food drops though.

Cheers

Greg
GregR
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby badd0g » Thu 11 Nov, 2021 12:23 pm

GregR wrote:

Probably not the best weekend to retrieve your food drops though.

Cheers

Greg

Cheers Greg. We've canned all plans to go anywhere near since receiving dwelp advice, weather/flood warnings & and local advice that JL Rd diversión is still in place.

All plans to hit up aawt northbound this year have ended in a rejig to complete cancellation and this was a last resort get out of town for a bit as a consolation. Cleary it just wasn't meant to be!
badd0g
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby GBW » Tue 14 Dec, 2021 4:40 pm

Has anyone been up to Howitt carpark recently and can give me the current state of the road?
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby onward » Tue 14 Dec, 2021 7:03 pm

As of 13/12 there is a sign as the bitumen ends (Wellington River) stating 4wd only! I went as far as the top end of Kelly Lane. The road was rough but I didn't see a need for 4wd (I have a Subaru Outback). But, lots of pot holes and sections are pretty rough (so slow if in a 2wd). Contractors were grading the road. The wet spring has made the road pretty rough!
Cheers
onward!
onward
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 04 Jan, 2022 1:05 pm

I drove from Licola to the junction of King Billy Track and The Howitt road last week. The general condition of the Howitt road is the worst I have seen it in over ten years of driving up there.
The detour from Licola up Target creek road to Primrose Gap and The Link road is still in place but then rejoins the Licola to Jamieson road. So you can get a vehicle up to the
AAWT where it crosses the Jamieson To Licola Road twice over Mt. Skene.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby badd0g » Tue 11 Jan, 2022 11:10 am

Finally managed to get away to collect drops from both Rumpff and Mac Springs this past weekend (7-9/1/22).
Road conditions in XV w AT tyres
Jamieson-Licola Rd:In pretty good condition through to Barkly River Logging track - detour via Primrose Gap still in place (clearly some have ignored the road block as evidence by tyre tracks around the signs). There are quite a few pot holes beyond the Link Rd junction, but nothing unexpected on that road and no major issues to have to drive around. Barkly River Logging track is in great nick and a cruisy ride down to the saddle. Got hit with a severe thunderstorm on the way in which dumped about 50mm and roads still good post event. Trip in from Licola 1hr 5mins, out about the same.
Tamboritha/Howitt rd: Also in reasonable condition. Better than it was in May under snow in fact! No major issues. Quite a few potholes, some large but no washouts. 1 small bog near the airfield but nothing concerning. Sign posted at Bennison Lookout advises 4wd only. Trip in from Licola 1:40min, out 1:30mins.
Bonus report Dargo High Plains Rd: Recently graded and despite heavy rain over the 2 days prior, was in excellent condition all the way from Dargo to St Bernard. Pity that the dense fog/low cloud made for max 40kph travel for 50 odd kms!
badd0g
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 14 May, 2022 9:52 am

Yes, I drove the Dargo High Plains road the whole way in March 2022. The road has been graded and it was not in
a bad condition at all. I have driven it in worse shape in the
past in my AWD with AT tyres.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby Stew63 » Sat 14 May, 2022 10:08 am

Howitt Plains Rd.
I met a guy from Melbourne Bushwalkers at Hellfire Creek campsite about 2 weeks ago. (Begininng of May '22) He drove in from Licola to the Howitt carpark in a soft 2WD and has done many times over the years. (As have I)
In his opinion he said the Howitt Plains Rd. road was definitely not suitable for a soft 2WD in its current condition - he had 2 punctures and some underdamage to the car on the way in. (Some nice 4WDers repaired the punctures)
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Return to AAWT